PBS for iPad
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Watch the most popular programs from PBS, including Nature, NOVA, and Masterpiece. "PBS for iPad" features thousands of full-length videos from your favorite PBS programs and local stations; new videos are added daily.
DEPTH OF CONTENT
Explore a rich and varied selection of hundreds of videos from both new programs and from the PBS archives. Find these top programs and more:
* PBS primetime programs: Antiques Roadshow, Frontline, History Detectives, Masterpiece, Nature, Need to Know, Nova, Secrets of the Dead, and more.
* PBS NewsHour segments.
* Austin City Limits song performances.
* Special clips and full-length episodes from the PBS special CIRCUS.
* Original online series, including Nova ScienceNOW’s “Secret Life of Scientists” and “FutureStates” from INDEPENDENT LENS.
* Sign-in and enjoy new cross-device features! Your playback history is now synced across devices.
* Quick access to TV times and channels for your favorite PBS programs.
* See what’s on your local PBS station and what’s coming soon.
* Learn more about PBS programs and specific episodes.
* Bookmark favorite programs and episodes for easy retrieval.
* Share videos with friends on Facebook, Twitter and email.
* Purchase episodes and seasons that you’d like to own.
MORE FROM PBS
Find more PBS apps at http://to.pbs.org/pbsapps.
Find PBS KIDS apps at http://to.pbs.org/pbskidsapps.
What's New in Version 1.7.8
Fixed remaining crash issues.
Surprisingly annoying app with no Feedback or Support feature.
OK, I love PBS, but I am so frustrated with this app! The content is probably great, even though so far it has crashed a few times, and the sidebar menu is only so-so. The seriously annoying thing is HOW the app works - It takes forever to load the page listing all the programs, so searching for programs to watch is a time-consuming pain. FIrst the app loads a long list of programs, then when you click on a program, when you're done you have to reload the entire list of programs page again, no choice to go "Back" the only choice is to reload the page again every time - the app doesn't retain the list is downloaded just a second ago, I don't mean that if I quit & reopen I have to reload, I mean within the same session the app makes you reload the page after every time you look at a program. And when I tried to send Feedback, instead of this negative review, just like on this iTunes Store page next to the "Write a Review" button is an "App Support" app - and it takes you NOT to app Support but to a page listing all the PBS apps! Same thing in the app - The app has a Feedback button but it takes you to a list of other apps, ebooks to buy, etc. When I called me local PBS station to try to get a feedback email address they said their wasn't an email address but I could call long distance to Virginia because it seems PBS doesn't have an 800 number.
How can PBS make such a dumb app?
Many significant and uncorrected problems
I love being able to watch the great PBS programs, and especially appreciate, that the Newshour is available later the same night
(though wish it were available at "on air" time, or soon thereafter.
However there are a number of problems and malfunctions with the app which remain unfixed after a very long time since first reporting them. Other reviewers provide thorough detail on some of them; I will merely keep repeating the list:
1. App support is completely inaccessible. That is worsened by the fact that one is taken on a lengthy and futile wild goose chase within the app when attempting to access it.
2. There is no way to bookmark episodes to watch later.
3. The Favorite feature doesn't work dependably.
4. The Program navigation system is very cumbersome.
5. The Social Media share feature doesn't work at all.
I think there are other problems, but if any of the above list can finally be addressed and corrected, I'll trust that my time and effort adding to this list is not wasted.
Even if all these have easy answers to you, they should be easy for me, a digital designer.
I've only recently discovered this app and its offerings. I have truly been enjoying the ability to flex my viewing time of favorite PBS programs. For the most part the app has worked well for me. There have been a few offered programs for which the video cannot load properly- the most recent one was a program about Lincoln. I've tried several times over several days and each time the message is the same-the video cannot load at this time. Sad. Thanks so much for offering access in this way to so many programs, I am now able to watch so many more of PBS's excellent offerings !
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Apr 18, 2014
- Version: 1.7.8
- Size: 7.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Public Broadcasting Service
- © 2014 Public Broadcasting Service
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.