Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Enjoy the most popular shows from PBS anywhere, anytime, including Masterpiece hits* like Poldark, Downton Abbey, Mr. Selfridge, Wolf Hall, as well as Nature, NOVA, and more. "PBS Video" features thousands of full-length videos from your favorite PBS shows and local stations with new videos added daily.
DEPTH OF CONTENT
Explore a rich and varied selection of hundreds of videos from both new shows and from the PBS archives. Find these top shows and more:
* Masterpiece shows* including Poldark, Downton Abbey, Mr. Selfridge, Wolf Hall and more.
* Other PBS primetime shows: Antiques Roadshow, Frontline, Independent Lens, POV, History Detectives, Nature, Need to Know, Nova, Secrets of the Dead, and more.
* PBS NewsHour segments.
* Austin City Limits song performances.
* Original online series, including NOVA ScienceNOW’s “Secret Life of Scientists” and “FutureStates” from INDEPENDENT LENS.
*During individual show seasons
* Quick access to TV times and channels for your favorite PBS programs.
* See what’s on your local PBS station and what’s coming soon.
* Learn more about PBS show and specific episodes.
* Bookmark favorite shows and episodes for easy retrieval.
MORE FROM PBS
Find more PBS apps at http://pbs.org/anywhere/
Find help and support at http://help.pbs.org/
What's New in Version 2.2.1
* PBS content now available in iOS Spotlight Search for iOS 9!
* reduced size of app since last update
* minor bug fixes
Ad server is a joke
The PBS app has always had issues. From day one. One of the glaring ones, and one that simply amazes me that it has never been fixed, is the absurd lag for video advertisements. It continues to do the same absurd thing: plays a two second snippet of the ad, then freezes. One must sit and wait 30 seconds or longer for the rest of the ad to start playing. It boggles the mind, yet seems very par for the course, that the PBS app team has never resolved this with their ad server provider.
Another obvious, glaring omission from the app: no playback controls other than the obvious tiny scrollbar. What is missing is the very obvious need for a plus or -10 seconds, or 30 seconds. Something other than just that tiny scrollbar. But of course, the PBS app team cannot be depended upon to create even this most basic, obvious user-friendly option.
Who maintains this site?
The old app was easy to navigate, but this one is a pain. The screen for browsing programs is now a list, instead of the tiles that made it easier to find shows. And if you're lucky to have more than one PBS station in your area, you could switch from one program guide to another easily; now you have to go back and forth to the settings menu and change your home station just to get the other channel guide.
And who keeps up the video uploads? Some series are listed, but the videos won't play, some episodes are loaded twice and mislabeled and some bug keeps switching the tags on videos, so you keep getting the wrong programs.
Really, that's just sloppy housekeeping. I know budgets are tight, but this is embarrassing.
Great Chromecast Experience
I had to give you guys credit where credit is due. Despite the many bad reviews, the app worked really well for my use case. It has allowed me to easily stream shows directly from my phone. No longer do I have to hook up my laptop to my TV.
It was really easy and intuitive. Just pick the show, pick the episode, press the Chromecast icon and boom Nature, Frontline, Nova all at a smudge of a screen!
Don't let the bad reviews get ya down, at least in the way I use the app it has worked flawlessly. Thank you!
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Feb 03, 2016
- Version: 2.2.1
- Size: 52.8 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Public Broadcasting Service
- © 2014 Public Broadcasting Service
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.Apple TV: Yes