Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Enjoy the most popular shows from PBS anywhere, anytime, including Masterpiece hits* like Poldark, Downton Abbey, Mr. Selfridge, Wolf Hall, as well as Nature, NOVA, and more. "PBS Video" features thousands of full-length videos from your favorite PBS shows and local stations with new videos added daily.
DEPTH OF CONTENT
Explore a rich and varied selection of hundreds of videos from both new shows and from the PBS archives. Find these top shows and more:
* Masterpiece shows* including Poldark, Downton Abbey, Mr. Selfridge, Wolf Hall and more.
* Other PBS primetime shows: Antiques Roadshow, Frontline, Independent Lens, POV, History Detectives, Nature, Need to Know, Nova, Secrets of the Dead, and more.
* PBS NewsHour segments.
* Austin City Limits song performances.
* Original online series, including NOVA ScienceNOW’s “Secret Life of Scientists” and “FutureStates” from INDEPENDENT LENS.
*During individual show seasons
* Quick access to TV times and channels for your favorite PBS programs.
* See what’s on your local PBS station and what’s coming soon.
* Learn more about PBS show and specific episodes.
* Bookmark favorite shows and episodes for easy retrieval.
MORE FROM PBS
Find more PBS apps at http://pbs.org/anywhere/
Find help and support at http://help.pbs.org/
What's New in Version 3.2.1
* Bug fix for Spotlight Search
Love PBS but this app needs help
If I didn't love PBS so much I would have given up on this app and cancelled my passport subscription. I just recently started using the video app and am already a passport member. Every single video I play starts with an ad that repeatedly freezes. Once I manage to get past the ad, the video plays without a problem so it is not a problem with my internet or streaming but with the ad itself. I have seen other users complain about this so I know it's not just me. I have also used the PBS channel through Roku without any problems. I also have not had this problem with other video apps (using iPhone 6 with iOS 10). The only way I've found around the problem is to continually tap on the "more info" link, then tap the "done" link to get through the ad to play the video. However, I have to do this about 50-60 times because it freezes so much. I'm sure this produces incorrect or inflated clickthrough rates for the sponsor. If I didn't love PBS so much, I would have given up and cancelled my donation. PBS has always had a reputation for integrity so I hope this is only a problem with programming or the media company behind the ads and I hope they get it fixed soon!
Consult a 3rd Party
This app is apparently designed by someone who tunes in to PBS every night, then goes to the app to watch an encore. Please consult someone that doesn't have PBS in the background every day, but hears about a great show and goes to watch it.
1. $10/month is too much for a base subscription. You already have money from people who believe in PBS. Try to get quantity on the online subscriptions. Start with the same donation level as CBS All Access, or some similar service, then run promos for what is being supported by the more money you contribute (up selling).
2. Let me go to a show and watch from Episode 1+ without having to know the title, or click into 15 different episodes. Just list them 1-10.
3. Let users continue where they left off the last time they viewed a show from the app. I have to hunt down the new episode each time!
Confusion about the app...
There are a lot of negative comments saying it's not free. It is. Let me clarify:
All the recently aired content is FREE. No account or donation required. However the content expires, usually after 2 weeks. This is not news. All networks do this. PBS does not outright own the content so usage rights determine what they can or cannot offer.
However, there is a PBS Passport service that extends the usage rights of content. Everything with a blue compass symbol is PBS Passport. It can be accessed with a small one-time donation to your local PBS station. It's usually a $60 minimum. This is not a big deal. For half the cost of a Netflix subscription, you get access to PBS' vast catalog of educational programming. There's nothing like this available anywhere. It's a steal. Just do it. For $60, you support public television, your local station, filmmakers, and become smarter by educating yourself about our world. It's worth it.
Now the app itself isn't perfect. But it's good enough. And I see they have constant updates to improve it. So it's pretty typical and in line with other apps.
Hope this helps! Get it.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Oct 01, 2016
- Version: 3.2.1
- Size: 84.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Public Broadcasting Service
- © 2014 Public Broadcasting Service
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.Apple TV: Yes