PBS for iPad
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Watch the most popular programs from PBS, including Nature, NOVA, and Masterpiece. "PBS for iPad" features thousands of full-length videos from your favorite PBS programs and local stations; new videos are added daily.
DEPTH OF CONTENT
Explore a rich and varied selection of hundreds of videos from both new programs and from the PBS archives. Find these top programs and more:
* PBS primetime programs: Antiques Roadshow, Frontline, History Detectives, Masterpiece, Nature, Need to Know, Nova, Secrets of the Dead, and more.
* PBS NewsHour segments.
* Austin City Limits song performances.
* Special clips and full-length episodes from the PBS special CIRCUS.
* Original online series, including Nova ScienceNOW’s “Secret Life of Scientists” and “FutureStates” from INDEPENDENT LENS.
* Sign-in and enjoy new cross-device features! Your playback history is now synced across devices.
* Quick access to TV times and channels for your favorite PBS programs.
* See what’s on your local PBS station and what’s coming soon.
* Learn more about PBS programs and specific episodes.
* Bookmark favorite programs and episodes for easy retrieval.
* Share videos with friends on Facebook, Twitter and email.
* Purchase episodes and seasons that you’d like to own.
MORE FROM PBS
Find more PBS apps at http://to.pbs.org/pbsapps.
Find PBS KIDS apps at http://to.pbs.org/pbskidsapps.
What's New in Version 1.7.7
Fixed application crash.
I love watching PBS. I can't watch the shows I like when they are on TV so I like watching them on this app. However, it crashes on predictable places. 1) The menu on the right, when I touch the 3 card icon, the app crashes and closes. 2) whenever the sponsor adds run they only run for about 2 seconds and then the app freezes. 3) about 1/2 hour into the show, the video freezes and I only hear audio. I have to close the app and restart it. I do have a relatively low bandwidth internet connection, which may complicate thing, but then the app should have a disclaimer statement warning about the minimum allowed bandwidth.
Too much hassle
Even when the app is not constantly crashing, the navigation is not the best. Needs a "back" button so you don't have to start over every time you tap incorrectly or change your mind.
But the biggest problem is the app crashes. I haven't been able to get to the program menu for months. This last update purports to fix this problem but fails. In fact, I think the app crashes faster now, so at least I spend less time hoping "Maybe this time it will work!"
I so much want to see what PBS has to offer and I thoroughly love their programming, but I have to give this app 1 star. And judging by the revision history, it will be a long time until they release an update that actually fixes it.
Needs a few tweaks
While the content is fantastic, the navigation could be better. For example, when you have selected a series from the list, you cannot get back to where you were on the list -- you have to start again from the top. It would be nice to have a "back" button when in a series (i.e. "American Experience") that takes you back to that place in the list of all shows.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Mar 31, 2014
- Version: 1.7.7
- Size: 7.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Public Broadcasting Service
- © 2012 Public Broadcasting Service
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.