PBS for iPad
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Watch the most popular programs from PBS, including Nature, NOVA, and Masterpiece. "PBS for iPad" features thousands of full-length videos from your favorite PBS programs and local stations; new videos are added daily.
DEPTH OF CONTENT
Explore a rich and varied selection of hundreds of videos from both new programs and from the PBS archives. Find these top programs and more:
* PBS primetime programs: Antiques Roadshow, Frontline, History Detectives, Masterpiece, Nature, Need to Know, Nova, Secrets of the Dead, and more.
* PBS NewsHour segments.
* Austin City Limits song performances.
* Special clips and full-length episodes from the PBS special CIRCUS.
* Original online series, including Nova ScienceNOW’s “Secret Life of Scientists” and “FutureStates” from INDEPENDENT LENS.
* Quick access to TV times and channels for your favorite PBS programs.
* See what’s on your local PBS station and what’s coming soon.
* Learn more about PBS programs and specific episodes.
* Bookmark favorite programs and episodes for easy retrieval.
* Purchase episodes and seasons that you’d like to own.
MORE FROM PBS
Find PBS KIDS apps at http://pbskids.org/apps/
What's New in Version 1.8
Fixed issue where new content was not refreshing every day
App with the most WONDERFUL content and the most FRUSTRATING interface. Absolutely not conducive to browsing content or following a series.
Go to listings of shows/series and begin browsing. Scroll down until one finds a show one might be interested in. Choose it and get the synopsis and/or the episodes. Decide that you don't want to watch this content right now. There is no back button to take to where you left off. Only possibility is to choose all shows again and start back at the top of the list. Or worse yet, one's finger accidentally brushes a show icon (so easily done on an iPad) and there one is, condemned to starting at the beginning again. All lessons in browsing frustration.
OR... Decide that a series is something you'd like to watch, and the episodes are not in any standard order or maybe not in any indicated order at all. I have had a number of occasions when I would start to watch a series only to discover that I'm watching the episodes in the wrong order... Backwards.
As I said... The most WONDERFUL content in the most frustrating app to manage and use. And the "i" button that purports to welcome feedback has no option for giving feedback.
I will of course continue to use the app because it contains what I most want to see (I've virtually given up watching TV), but I will continue to marvel at the backwardness of PBS in making it's app so frustratingly semi-functional.
Love the PBS app, but.....
I love being able to watch all my favorite PBS shows on my iPad, but there are glitches (that others have noted, too). See below for some feedback and suggestions for a better user experience:
1. Some shows like "Finding your Roots" don't play on the first try. Also, when the ad pops up at the beginning, the ad freezes and won't play. You need to hit the "x" on the upper right corner on the screen to close the window. Sometimes the show resumes and then other times the app shuts down completely and you need to re-open the app, navigate back to the show and restart it.
2. It would be great if you could be notified when a new favorite show is available.
3. The "provide feedback" link on the app takes user to the PBS site an it is unclear where to navigate to provide feedback. Expected result is a user would get some sort of "contact us" form to provide feedback to support. Thanks!
PBS STEALS OUR HEARTS
So many of PBS programs reach into our very being. They remind us of why life is precious, fleeting and often filled with happiness and laughter. It reminds us of who we were when we were young, when we thought anything was possible. It allows us to cry over what may have been and be content with what we have now. It brings not only entertainment but powerful truths. How we can look back at our successes and our failures. To improve ourselves not just for today but for the coming days that seem to rush in at us as waves pound the surf. We are shown glimpses of our past, and our present which allows us the freedom to earn for a better future. PBS boldly shows us our failures and forces us to improve on tomorrow. The thought and attention put into each program shows their dedication to better television programming. Thank you.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Oct 30, 2014
- Version: 1.8
- Size: 7.8 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Public Broadcasting Service
- © 2014 Public Broadcasting Service
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.