Use your iPad or iPhone to highlight and draw freehand on a PDF, sign a contract, make corrections, fill out an application, make comments on a presentation and much more.
* Highlight important text. Scribble freehand notes. Comment on drafts… and more.
* Edit page content: add and correct existing text * Add, move, resize and even delete images.
* Sign a lease or contract--fill out an application or form--easily add your signature--then email it directly.
* The best PDF editor available for both iPad and Mac, sync with iCloud and Files-compatible apps.
- Read and edit PDF documents on your iPad & iPhone
- Add highlights and freehand scribbles safely with wrist/palm protection
- Add text, images and signatures to PDFs
- Correct text in original PDF with editable text blocks
- Fill out PDF forms, including specialized signature fields
- Email and Airdrop your documents, with an option to flatten documents for maximum compatibility
- Set a document password, which is required when opening your document, and even set the level of encryption
- Save documents on iCloud & Files-compatible apps such as Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneNote, for sharing between devices
- Insert note and comment annotations
- Draw shapes, including lines, arrows, rectangles, ellipses, and polygons
- Move, resize, copy and delete images in original PDF
- Import images from Photo Library
- Annotate with proofreading marks and stamps
- Save frequently-used images, signatures, objects and text for reuse
- Automatic page numbering including bates numbering
- Sidebar for thumbnail, annotation, & table of contents skimming
- Duplicate and rotate pages
- Combine documents
- Use the new iOS Files interface to import/export and organize PDFs in folders
- Support for pressure sensitive/bluetooth styluses: Apple Pencil, FiftyThree Pencil, Wacom, Jot Touch, Jot Script, Jaja, and Pogo Connect
- Integrated with PDFpen Scan+ for performing Optical Character Recognition (PDFpen Scan+ OCR is a separate purchase)
Smile offers fast and friendly support. If you have any questions or feedback we'd love to hear from you. Please contact us at http://smle.us/support
- Resolves loss of some edits during page navigation
- Resolves crash on tapping choice or drop down menus in a form
Ratings and Reviews
I give up
This would be, by far, the best PDF managing platform out there. The feature set is outstanding. It covers iOS and Mac, and syncs between the two. And the developer has a great reputation- many accolades from some experts in the field.
But it’s sooooo buggy! And it’s got a strange organization scheme (some of this is personal preference). Random crashes, visual glitches (sometimes portions of the PDF page are unviewable for no apparent reason; Apple Pencil works, but it’s not a smooth experience; swiping pages many times takes 2 or 3 attempts; etc). There are often times too many ‘clicks’ to enable functionality, like for Apple Pencil- it doesn’t ‘just work’. You have to tap the ‘Annotate’ button and click on the pencil button just to write on a document. I appreciate the feature set, but sometimes the Pencil works, sometimes it doesn’t (I discovered that it defaults to 0% opacity randomly, so you have to reset the opacity settings in the middle of a workflow upon occasion). There’s no ‘erase’ button- you have to click and hold on the annotation to manage that. And there’s no continuous scroll preference.
I’ve stuck with this app and developer for a while now, because I truly believe in the potential of this product. But I can’t be continually disrupted by the bugginess and awkward implementation of some features.
Great for some things, not for others
I was emailed a doc and I'm trying to insert a signature from a scanned PDF on my iPhone and cannot find a way to do it. I could sign the document in the app, but there should be a way for me to store the signature that I've already scanned to be used for this purpose. There doesn't seem to be a way to select the text in a document and copy it or do anything with it. This seems like it would be the primary reason for using the app on your phone. I've looked online for a workaround and didn't see one. Hopefully I've overlooked something and they have included this function somewhere that I haven't looked, but not likely.
PDFpen does support storing a signature for later, using the Library, found in the toolbar at the top of the screen. However, if your scanned signature as a PDF, and not an image file (PNG, JPG, etc.) this it is treated as a document and not an editable image. Import an image of your signature through Library > Photos, and then you can place it in your document, remove the white background, and save it in the Library for later. For more details please contact email@example.com.
Not impressed. has me wondering if appstore got hacked.
This looks like the 2 rev old desktop version of PDFpen I have.
It is rev 3, but looks old. Sight unseen I felt confident this would be better than a 5 year old desktop version.
The toolset is spare & I just bought PDFpen for iOS on discount, based on another pdf annotator’s poor review for current version’s stability. its price fluctuated on the appstore.
It stores digital signatures, if that’s your thing.
The squiggly underscore I like, but changing colors is awkward.
Highlighting is strange, in that you have to quit the action to see it drop “behind” text selections. Not a dealbreaker.
~2 stars. I burned money buying this.
Even more dismayed when I realized it billed MORE than the discount price on a 4 day special than was advertised (& had NOT ended). The price was supposed 2b ~$12 & I got billed $20.
They made a few extra bucks on something I will not use.
- SmileOnMyMac, LLC
- 37.1 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 SmileOnMyMac, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.