Use your iPad or iPhone to highlight and draw freehand on a PDF, sign a contract, make corrections, fill out an application, make comments on a presentation and much more.
* Highlight important text. Scribble freehand notes. Comment on drafts… and more.
* Edit page content: add and correct existing text * Add, move, resize and even delete images.
* Sign a lease or contract--fill out an application or form--easily add your signature--then email it directly.
* The best PDF editor available for both iPad and Mac, sync with iCloud and Files-compatible apps.
- Read and edit PDF documents on your iPad & iPhone
- Add highlights and freehand scribbles safely with wrist/palm protection
- Add text, images and signatures to PDFs
- Correct text in original PDF with editable text blocks
- Fill out PDF forms, including specialized signature fields
- Email and Airdrop your documents, with an option to flatten documents for maximum compatibility
- Set a document password, which is required when opening your document, and even set the level of encryption
- Save documents on iCloud & Files-compatible apps such as Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneNote, for sharing between devices
- Insert note and comment annotations
- Draw shapes, including lines, arrows, rectangles, ellipses, and polygons
- Move, resize, copy and delete images in original PDF
- Import images from Photo Library
- Annotate with proofreading marks and stamps
- Save frequently-used images, signatures, objects and text for reuse
- Automatic page numbering including bates numbering
- Sidebar for thumbnail, annotation, & table of contents skimming
- Duplicate and rotate pages
- Combine documents
- Use the new iOS Files interface to import/export and organize PDFs in folders
- Support for pressure sensitive/bluetooth styluses: Apple Pencil, FiftyThree Pencil, Wacom, Jot Touch, Jot Script, Jaja, and Pogo Connect
- Integrated with PDFpen Scan+ for performing Optical Character Recognition (PDFpen Scan+ OCR is a separate purchase)
Smile offers fast and friendly support. If you have any questions or feedback we'd love to hear from you. Please contact us at http://smle.us/support
- Adds new icon
- Adds watermarks
- Adds vertical scrolling
- Maintains zoom while scrolling
- Enhances page numbering
- Improves stability
- Various bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
I give up
This would be, by far, the best PDF managing platform out there. The feature set is outstanding. It covers iOS and Mac, and syncs between the two. And the developer has a great reputation- many accolades from some experts in the field.
But it’s sooooo buggy! And it’s got a strange organization scheme (some of this is personal preference). Random crashes, visual glitches (sometimes portions of the PDF page are unviewable for no apparent reason; Apple Pencil works, but it’s not a smooth experience; swiping pages many times takes 2 or 3 attempts; etc). There are often times too many ‘clicks’ to enable functionality, like for Apple Pencil- it doesn’t ‘just work’. You have to tap the ‘Annotate’ button and click on the pencil button just to write on a document. I appreciate the feature set, but sometimes the Pencil works, sometimes it doesn’t (I discovered that it defaults to 0% opacity randomly, so you have to reset the opacity settings in the middle of a workflow upon occasion). There’s no ‘erase’ button- you have to click and hold on the annotation to manage that. And there’s no continuous scroll preference.
I’ve stuck with this app and developer for a while now, because I truly believe in the potential of this product. But I can’t be continually disrupted by the bugginess and awkward implementation of some features.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your review. Sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties with the app, particularly the crashes, ‘visual glitches’, swiping issues you describe. We take all concerns seriously and would love to address your issues more specifically. Please send details to: http://smle.us/support
I saw some reviews posted that kind of bashed the app. I to was in this mode and looking for a better app. However the start guide that came with the app was of little help. By going to the support page on line I was able to find a manual and so far all my issues have been resolved. My suggestion at this time would be a link under settings to access your site to the manual which is well laid out and easy to follow and offers step by step help. In addition how about making the manual available as a PDF to be added to the document section of the app (please keep the hyper links live). Oh and yes beyond the undo button there is not a eraser, but there is an even better way to correct or delete markings even after closing and reopening the app. Seek out the online manual and you will see. And the manual to the app download and get a 5 star rating.
Good, except when it's awful
I purchased this app for use in college. A lot of my teachers give assignments where I have a pdf to read, annotate, and bring in for class discussions. Rather than demolish a forest, I figured I could use my iPad and/or iPhone for this purpose. (Please note: my iPad is an Air 2 and my iPhone, a 6 plus. They both have 128 gb of internal storage. My problems are not related to device problems)
Overall, the annotation features are very smooth and work well. Text highlighting in particular works extremely well.
My issue are the overwhelming number of bugs this app has. Frequently upon loading a saved folder (that'll have, say, five important PDFs in it), they'll disappear suddenly, with no explanation. The app will reload my home screen and my valuable work will be completely lost and irrecoverable.
There are also bugs with the display. On zooming in, a large white rectangle will appear unpredictably over a large portion of the page, and it can be difficult to fix.
Finally, some important features are missing. What about cropping? That seems like it would be a fairly basic feature, all things considered.
2/5 stars; it's good but unreliable enough I have to find a better (more stable) app.
- SmileOnMyMac, LLC
- 36.8 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 SmileOnMyMac, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.