PDFScanner - Simple document scanning and OCR
By Felix Rotthowe
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
There are many applications for OS X that allow scanning of images or text. Most of them are however complex, slow or not really suited for scanning documents or letters.
PDFScanner has been created with one simple task in mind: Scanning and archiving documents as quick and easy as possible, and making them findable with Spotlight search.
When performing OCR, PDFScanner adds the recognized text directly to the scanned image as an invisible layer, so the text can be selected and copied just like in other PDF files.
PDFScanner supports the following features:
• Support for all scanners that are supported by the OS X Image Capture application (please check that using the scanner in Image Capture works before purchasing to be sure)
• Optical character recognition to make the document searchable, allow to find it via Spotlight and other search tools or copy the text.
• Supported OCR languages: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and Finnish
• Intuitive and fast user interface to reorder, delete or edit pages
• Fully automatic straightening of crooked pages (deskew)
• Full multithreading support. Scanning, OCR and straightening is done on multiple pages in parallel and you can even reorder or delete pages while PDFScanner is still working
• „Fake Duplex“ mode to simplify scanning of double sided documents without a duplex scanner
• Saving to PDF (optionally compressing the scan inside the PDF to save disk space).
• Customizable file name patterns (include for example date, time and machine name in the filename)
• It is also possible to open or import existing PDF documents and perform OCR on them via a menu option (the language can be set in the Preferences).
PDFScanner runs on OS X Mavericks and Yosemite and is only available on the Mac App Store.
What's New in Version 1.9.2
• Bringing back upside down landscape / portrait modes (by popular request)
• Keeping modification date for in-place OCR in the Automator action
• Bugfixes and performance improvements
Great scans , nice file size. Just a couple of wishes
This utility works really well. I use it quite often, especially during tax season. I have a 2006 HP Officejet 2410 and it works much better than the printer or the preview’s scan utilties. I’ve recently realized that I can scan several documents and do selective saving as it’s still scanning. It’s such a big time saver over scanning, saving, reloading….scanning, saving, reloading.
There are 2 features that I wish it had. Save to Preview. So it will open the scan in Preview. This gives me the ability to modify or email the PDF before it’s actually saved. And a Scan history feature, so I can locate where I saved my last 10 scans. Much like the Download history button in Safari. I sometimes mistakingly save a scan in the wrong place and there isn’t an easy way to track down where I saved it.
Otherwise, this is a really great, simple scan software.
Does everything and more
Originally I purchased this app simply to OCR pdfs on my half work, half play macbook pro. Since then I’ve moved my office to my home. This app is fantastic. I was frustrated by the software that came with my Epson WF-3640 (great machine, btw) and wanted an alternative. I was browsing to purchase another app, when I remembered this app.
It’s scanning functions are fantastic, including auto-ocr, automatic document titling (great accuracy, hugely customizable), and it retains your settings between use. The file size and quality options are abundant. Really cant’ recommend this app enough.
The most useful app I have!
I’ve been using this app for about four years and have been totally satisfied with it. I originally bought it to help me cut down on paper clutter and it’s my go-to-tool any time I want to convert documents to PDF files, whether to save on space or to pass them along electronically. So long as this app is supported I’ll continue to use it.