PDFScanner - Simple document scanning and OCR
By Felix Rotthowe
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
There are many applications for OS X that allow scanning of images or text. Most of them are however complex, slow or not really suited for scanning documents or letters.
PDFScanner has been created with one simple task in mind: Scanning and archiving documents as quick and easy as possible, and making them findable with Spotlight search.
When performing OCR, PDFScanner adds the recognized text directly to the scanned image as an invisible layer, so the text can be selected and copied just like in other PDF files.
PDFScanner supports the following features:
• Support for all scanners that are supported by the OS X Image Capture application (please check that using the scanner in Image Capture works before purchasing to be sure)
• Optical character recognition to make the document searchable, allow to find it via Spotlight and other search tools or copy the text.
• Supported OCR languages: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and Finnish
• Intuitive and fast user interface to reorder, delete or edit pages
• Fully automatic straightening of crooked pages (deskew)
• Full multithreading support. Scanning, OCR and straightening is done on multiple pages in parallel and you can even reorder or delete pages while PDFScanner is still working
• „Fake Duplex“ mode to simplify scanning of double sided documents without a duplex scanner
• Saving to PDF (optionally compressing the scan inside the PDF to save disk space).
• Customizable file name patterns (include for example date, time and machine name in the filename)
• It is also possible to open or import existing PDF documents and perform OCR on them via a menu option (the language can be set in the Preferences).
PDFScanner runs on OS X Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks and is only available on the Mac App Store.
What's New in Version 1.7.0
• Copying from PDFScanner will now copy plain text with correct paragraph breaks. This makes pasting to other applications a lot more convenient.
• Auto detect borders in crop view
• Software reduction to black and white with configurable threshold
• Auto detect and link URLs and email addresses
• Guess title and document date from OCR data and allow to use them in save presets
• Full Retina support
• Bugfixes and workarounds for some scanner driver issues
Works as Advertised!
Great App that saved me literally hours of scanning double sided documents of over 500 pages. I started scanning by just flipping the page over everytime with the HP software that came with the printer and thought there had to be a better way. When i looked at the mac app store and saw that this app had fake duplex scanning i had to purchase it! I do not regreat it at all, works just as advertised and would recommend this application to anyone that needs to scan duplex pages. Keep up the great work!
This product works as advertised. I was about to spend a lot more on other products costing $100, but I’m glad I didn’t. This is preview shoudl be all I need, and I’m a heavy user. I’m wondering, can this support an applescript to auto scan stuff? I don’t typically write reviews, but even more expensive products (such as one that costs $50, which I own and deleted it was so useless) aren’t as good in my opinion. At $15, this is a no brainer.
It’s very good at what it’s editors designed it for.
When it comes to scanning documents in color, grey scale or B & W i find that PDFScanner does exactly what it was made for. Most software that comes with printer-scanners are not very good at creating documents at reasonable compressed size. PDFScanner does a very job at creating PDF documents at different compression quality. The only one that does a better job is Adobe Acrobat Pro which you have to pay the big $$$. PDFScanner is a nice app for the price!