PDT Cocktails is the authoritative archive of the famed New York City bar, replete with both house creations and numerous fine-tuned classics that have graced PDT’s menu since the bar’s opening in 2007. Beyond that, it is the most comprehensive digital reference for contemporary cocktails available today with such features as:
- 400 meticulously tested cocktail recipes
- 69 recipes for PDT’s house-made ingredients
- Ingredient profiles that include photos and concise reference material
- Photographs of every cocktail and every ingredient—over 1000 in total, each taken at PDT
PDT Cocktails can be used independently or as a companion to The PDT Cocktail Book, which the app augments with new PDT creations, newly relevant historic recipes, and revisions to existing recipes based on available products and continued testing by PDT’s expert mixologists.
PDT Cocktails allows bartenders of all skill-levels to:
- Search recipes by base spirit, cocktail-type, creator, and date of creation
- Display measurements in ounces, centiliters, milliliters, or gills
- Check off the ingredients you’ve got and this app will show you which drinks you can make
- Filter the recipes on multiple criteria with just a few taps
- Flag recipes and tag favorites; create custom lists of recipes
- Annotate recipes with comments and cumulative likes and dislikes and build up a chronological history of your explorations
- Ingredient definitions included
- Sync your ingredient inventory, favorites and flagged, custom lists and journal entries across our entire suite of apps and over as many iOS devices as you like, using our free sync service
- Universal app, works nearly identically on both platforms
- compatibility fixes
- improved implied inventory UI
Ratings and Reviews
Awesome drinks recipe app
This app includes all of the recipes of the PDT book, plus more, and continues to receive periodic updates from time to time, so at $9.99 this app is really a great deal compared to the book version. In addition to the sheer number of recipes available, you get all of the unmatched functionality and features of the MixologyTech suite of apps.
The most important functionality is the inventory feature, which lets you enter your inventory on hand in the app. It then shows you which recipes you can make with your ingredients. With each ingredient an explanation is given of what it is, and all ingredients are provided as links so you can pick an ingredient in a recipe for example and then see which other recipes call for that ingredient. Substitutions are recommended for like ingredients when you are missing a specific ingredient but have a good alternative on hand. That's a particularly important feature in this app since recipes call for specific brands of spirits, and if you don't have that brand on hand another will be recommended as a substitute.
A sync feature that takes about 30 seconds to set up will sync all of your ingredients across all seven MixologyTech apps and across multiple devices. This is particularly handy if you use the app both on an iPhone and iPad. It also means that any time you delete and reinstall one of the apps you can just set up the sync again and all of your ingredients are repopulated immediately.
Favorites and flags make it easy to find your stand by drinks and drinks you've been meaning to try. You can make custom lists of recipes and journal notes on each recipe, which is helpful if you want to make a drink again but it was just a little too sweet, not sweet enough, too strong, etc. Recipes can be searched and filtered by various criteria including base spirit, method of preparation, drink type, provenance, and more.
Another great feature, if like me you're always looking to expand the inventory and possibilities of your home bar, is the recommendation of ingredients to acquire. Near the bottom of the home screen you'll see a count of your ingredients, and what percentage of recipes you can make from the app. It then recommends the next ingredients that would most increase the number of drinks you'd be able to make if you added them to your inventory.
This app provides a great all around group of cocktail recipes made to the high standards of one of the top cocktail bars in the world. For something a little more geared towards beginners I'd recommend the Shaken & Stirred app, and for the more serious cocktail übernerd I'd recommend Martin's Index of Cocktails which includes an exhaustive list of recipes from the mid nineteenth through mid twentieth century.
It's the Substitutions, Silly.
A digital cocktail guide with the care to tell you when you have an appropriate substitue for a specific property on hand, or are missing only one or two ingredients. Perfect for planning, and perfect for plotting that next expansion bottle.
Much better than the book
Every cocktail lover should have the PDT book (aka the Bible), but they should only pull it out to read or flip through while relaxing on the couch (hopefully with a perfectly balanced cocktail). For all other occasions, just pull out the app and find exactly what you're looking for much faster.
The design of this suite of apps is perfectly suited to the at-home cocktail enthusiast. Input your ingredients once, sync to all other apps (easily authenticating via 1Password support), flag recipes, and drink lovely cocktails. I'm a particular fan of flagging recipes I want to try because the list of flagged recipes shows you results from all installed apps in the suite. Very easy to find a good one to try (likewise with favorites).
- Martin Doudoroff LLC
- 83.4 MB
- Food & Drink
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Frequent/Intense Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2015-2017 Martin Doudoroff LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.