PDX Bus, MAX, Streetcar and WES
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
PDX Bus is an award winning application that displays arrival times for public transport in Portland, Oregon.
** PDX Bus won Best in Show at the CivicApps.org awards **
This little application uses the Internet to quickly access TriMet's live tracking data to display arrival times perfectly formatted for the iPhone. It allows you to bookmark frequently used stops, displays recently accessed stops, and gives details for arrivals which are en-route.
You can enter the stop "id" of the stop (as displayed at each stop or station) or you can browse the routes for the stop.
- Interactive rail maps, showing the MAX, WES and Streetcar stops.
- Embedded maps, showing locations of stops, and when available, the last known position of the bus or train.
- Use GPS to locate nearby stops or rail stations.
- Browse routes and stops, show an entire route on the map.
- Links to TriMet route information.
- Displays Rider Alerts, and Detours.
- A "Nighttime visibility flasher" - a flashing screen that can be used at night so that drivers can see you. TriMet suggests holding up a cell phone to make yourself visible to bus drivers.
-Trip Planning - now you can use the same trip planning feature that is available on TriMet's web site.
- Specially formatted text to work with the iPhone 3GS VoiceOver accessibility feature to speak arrivals.
- QR code reader to read codes at bus stops and stations
Route and arrival data provided by permission of TriMet.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Note: this free application was developed as a volunteer effort to provide a service for TriMet riders, the developer has no affiliation with TriMet, or Apple. Suggestions and feedback are welcome.
What's New in Version 8.1
8.1 (June 2016)
- Bug fixes, incuding crash when entering unknown stop ID.
- Bug fixes to stop iOS 6 crashes (this is the last iOS6 version).
- Watch: Added dictation and keypad (hard press from home screen)
- Updated link to TriMet alert page and changed all web pages to use internal browser.
- Removed link to TriMet Ticket app, as it no longer launches (their app changed - will restore this when they fix it)
Great, as long as your phone is set to the right language
The app is great except for one issue: it will not let you use bookmarks unless your phone is set to the "right" language. It can handle languages like English, Spanish or Russian alright, but if your phone is running in (for example) Japanese, Korean, Chinese, or Arabic, bookmarks in the app don't function. Considering Chinese is one of the target languages of Multnomah County, it seems like making sure the app can handle a user's phone being set to that language (or other non-Roman, non-Cyrillic language sets) without losing functionality even as the app continues to function in English might not be a bad idea for the developer to work on for the next release.
Used it for exploring Portland
This was so handy touring around Portland. The app was very easy to use. I just entered my destination, it knew my starting point, and it generated easy instructions/directions. Highly recommend!
Trip Planner is broken
Trip Planner used to work though is now broken. This seems to be the core use of the tool, at least it was for me, and now I can't use it anymore. The website works great but the app seems broken.
- Category: Travel
- Updated: Jun 26, 2016
- Version: 8.1
- Size: 19.3 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Andrew Wallace
- © 2008-2016 A R Wallace
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.