The PDX Social History Guide features stories about people and places vital to the city of Portland's cultural heritage. Portland has been home to many ethnic groups and cultures — including Native American, African American, Chinese, Japanese, Greeks and Jews, among others. Because of urban development, some of these communities have little physical remnants of their neighborhoods. Consequently, many visiting Portland for the first time — and even those that have lived here many years — are unaware of the city's history.
This app brings these stories to the surface through:
* audio clips from interviews with a dozen local experts
* theme illustrations and historical photos
* summary text (in case you forgot your headphones, and don't want to listen out loud)
* maps to help you find the historical locations
* links to read more about many of these topics
Portland-based non-profit Know Your City conducted the interviews and research. Illustrations and icons by Kate Bingaman-Burt give this app a unique, hand-crafted style.
Please note: This app covers historical places, people and events centered around the downtown area of Portland, Oregon, USA.
Updates and bug fixes to support iOS 11
Ratings and Reviews
Best app in my phone
Such a rich tapestry of sight, sound and righteous narrative !
- Elsewise LLC
- 56.4 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © Elsewise LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.