Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The best digital handwriting on iPad. Penultimate combines distraction-free, natural handwriting and sketching with the power of Evernote’s sync and search. Take class or meeting notes, journal your thoughts, or outline your next big idea—in the office or on the go. From the first stroke, Penultimate makes the experience of pen and paper more productive.
INK AND PAPER, MADE BETTER
Notes and drawings look spectacular in black or colored ink. Our inking technology produces pen strokes that look natural, and Wrist Protection prevents stray marks for writers of all grips. Choose from a number of paper styles, or import an image to create personalized paper.
STYLUS AND SOFTWARE BUILT TOGETHER
We worked closely with Adonit to create the stylus we've always wanted: the Jot Script Evernote Edition, the first true precision-point stylus. Penultimate integrates tightly with the stylus and together they make digital handwriting the experience it should be. It’s like writing with your favorite pen. Available now in the Evernote Market.
YOUR WRITING KEEPS PACE WITH YOU
Penultimate lets you work on any part of the page effortlessly. To zoom in on a location on the page, simply pinch in and start writing. With Penultimate's Drift feature enabled, the page will move along with you, automatically adjusting to the pace you are working at.
CONNECT AND SYNC WITH EVERNOTE
Sign in to your Evernote account in the Penultimate app to organize your Penultimate notes in notebooks, separated by topic, project, or category. Your Penultimate notes are synced to Evernote automatically, so you can find and share them across all of your devices.
FIND WHAT YOU NEED QUICKLY
No matter how you prefer to organize your work, Penultimate makes it easy to find the notes you need. Penultimate processes your notes so you can search for handwritten text in the app. Save and browse your work in notebooks and insert, delete, duplicate, and reorganize pages any way you like within them.
MAKE PENULTIMATE MORE POWERFUL
Penultimate is free to download and use. Pair it with Evernote Premium or Evernote Plus for bigger uploads and many other great features.
Two subscription options:
Evernote Premium monthly for $7.99 per month | $69.99 annually
Evernote Plus monthly for $3.99 per month | $34.99 annually
Price may vary by location. Subscriptions will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You will not be able to cancel the subscription once activated. Manage your subscriptions in Account Settings after purchase.
What's New in Version 6.2.1
• Passcode lock is now free for all users!
• Numerous bug fixes and improvements
Hard to beat this...
Penultimate, used in conjunction with Apple Pencil on the iPad Pro 9.7, is hard to beat. It literally looks like i am using a sheet of paper and a pen to take notes in a notebook. I wish that it had sub folders for the notebooks as this would greatly help organize my thoughts when writing novels. Right now, I am using penultimate to create a children's book for my son. Using Procreate, Pencil, and the Smart Keyboard, it is the most seamless creating tool i have ever used. Granted, I haven't used this app with any other stylus. I have used other note taking apps with other styli and I have to say that Apple Pencil is the best ever. So maybe it is the pencil that makes this app so great. I have not yet felt the need to try any other note taking app because Penultimate satisfies most of my needs. Four stars because it meets those needs. I'm not feeling pressed to buy anything. Highly recommend in conjunction with pencil.
This is the best app on my iPad...Hands Down
Ios10 broke this app with Jotscript 2 stylus. Really difficult to use with jotscript and has adversely affected my workflow.
Previous review before ISO 10
Penultimate with the recent release is the best release to date. This app is simply amazing, out of all the note taking apps. Notes Plus is good feature set however, I converted to Penultimate because I just use it more. It's super easy to just get down to what matters, my notes. The other apps are really all the same. They have small variances however, penultimate is minimalistic and only holds the best most used features.
- syncs seamlessly with Evernote
- unique and accurate handwriting experience (Jotscript is amazing)
- awesome UI and design. So fresh and clean clean
- search is a unbelievably accurate
- highlighter & eraser style is very cool and unique
- different view helps review notes without the cumbersome scroll
- different styles of paper (now free) are super helpful
This is def a must try and have app. It's really the best version of penultimate that I've tried. If anything the last piece of improvement is the PDF in annotation that would make it a 10 out of 10. This app you get to work and it just ... works.
Everything you'd expect from Evernote. I use it heavy for personal and professional use. If you are a writer, heavy note taker or like to get stuff out of your head and into paper (digital) this is the most amazing app to do that in.
Could be better, but it does its job
I am a premed and Ive been using penultimate for a while now with apple pencil, its a great way to replace paper and i like how the pen tool flows.
But the app is limited in some ways
- there should be at least one more pen or pencil option.
- more color options, maybe a color wheel so infinite colors would be possible. I like to take colorful notes so i wont get lost in the learning process.
- if a color wheel is not a good option, then the highlighter should have neon-ish color options, because it looks weird and rough with the regular available colors
- the crop tool would be flawless, but when you drag the selected part it leaves a few pieces of ink behind which is extremely annoying
- a ruler would make math notations amazing
- eraser size options would be nice but not number one priority
-sub-folders inside the notebooks would optimize organization
I dont think i need to pay for a better note taking app when penultimate is the best one to capture handwriting without making it look shaky or like i had used only my finger, i already invested too much on ipad pro, but i just wish it had a couple more options.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jun 28, 2016
- Version: 6.2.1
- Size: 49.7 MB
- Languages: English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Seller: Cocoa Box Design LLC
- © 2006 - 2016 Evernote Corporation
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- Time & Tasks Paper Collection$0.99
- Evernote Premium$4.99
- Games Paper Collection$0.99
- Design Collection$0.99
- Music Paper Collection$2.99
- Photo Album Paper Collection$0.99
- Young Writers Paper Collection$0.99
- Evernote Plus$2.99
- Evernote Premium$5.99
- Evernote Premium$44.99