Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The best digital handwriting on iPad. Penultimate combines distraction-free, natural handwriting and sketching with the power of Evernote’s sync and search. Take class or meeting notes, journal your thoughts, or outline your next big idea—in the office or on the go. From the first stroke, Penultimate makes the experience of pen and paper more productive.
INK AND PAPER, MADE BETTER
Notes and drawings look spectacular in black or colored ink. Our inking technology produces pen strokes that look natural, and Wrist Protection prevents stray marks for writers of all grips. Choose from a number of paper styles, or import an image to create personalized paper.
STYLUS AND SOFTWARE BUILT TOGETHER
We worked closely with Adonit to create the stylus we've always wanted: the Jot Script Evernote Edition, the first true precision-point stylus. Penultimate integrates tightly with the stylus and together they make digital handwriting the experience it should be. It’s like writing with your favorite pen. Available now in the Evernote Market.
YOUR WRITING KEEPS PACE WITH YOU
Penultimate lets you work on any part of the page effortlessly. To zoom in on a location on the page, simply pinch in and start writing. With Penultimate's Drift feature enabled, the page will move along with you, automatically adjusting to the pace you are working at.
CONNECT AND SYNC WITH EVERNOTE
Sign in to your Evernote account in the Penultimate app to organize your Penultimate notes in notebooks, separated by topic, project, or category. Your Penultimate notes are synced to Evernote automatically, so you can find and share them across all of your devices.
FIND WHAT YOU NEED QUICKLY
No matter how you prefer to organize your work, Penultimate makes it easy to find the notes you need. Penultimate processes your notes so you can search for handwritten text in the app. Save and browse your work in notebooks and insert, delete, duplicate, and reorganize pages any way you like within them.
MAKE PENULTIMATE MORE POWERFUL
Penultimate is free to download and use. Pair it with Evernote Premium or Evernote Plus for bigger uploads and many other great features.
Two subscription options:
Evernote Premium monthly for $5.99 per month | $49.99 annually
Evernote Plus monthly for $2.99 per month | $24.99 annually
Price may vary by location. Subscriptions will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You will not be able to cancel the subscription once activated. Manage your subscriptions in Account Settings after purchase.
What's New in Version 6.2
• All papers are now free!
• Now supports iOS Multitasking
• Apple Pencil pressure sensitivity support (iPad Pro only)
• More intuitive pen, highlighter, and color selectors
• New full-screen paper selector when creating a note or switching paper types within a note
• Added a grid view to the pages tray so you can see more of the pages within your note and quickly navigate to the page you want to edit
• Notebooks look like notebooks instead of circles, and it's easier to identify business and shared notebooks
• Added a page count to the cover of each note in a note list
• Updated Adonit SDK
• We squashed a bunch of bugs, as always
This is the best app on my iPad...Hands Down
Penultimate with the recent release is the best release to date. This app is simply amazing, out of all the note taking apps. Notes Plus is good feature set however, I converted to Penultimate because I just use it more. It's super easy to just get down to what matters, my notes. The other apps are really all the same. They have small variances however, penultimate is minimalistic and only holds the best most used features.
- syncs seamlessly with Evernote
- unique and accurate handwriting experience (Jotscript is amazing)
- awesome UI and design. So fresh and clean clean
- search is a unbelievably accurate
- highlighter & eraser style is very cool and unique
- different view helps review notes without the cumbersome scroll
- different styles of paper (now free) are super helpful
This is def a must try and have app. It's really the best version of penultimate that I've tried. This app you get to work and it just ... works.
Everything you'd expect from Evernote. I use it heavy for personal and professional use. If you are a writer, heavy note taker or like to get stuff out of your head and into paper (digital) this is the most amazing app to do that in.
Try it yourself
This update works great with my iPad Pro and Pencil. Before that I used it with evernote's jot 2 stylus. Both worked well but the Pencil has less lag time. This is a great writing/notes app with tight Evernote integration. A fe versions ago they did a major overhaul and as you can see from the reviews not everyone has recovered. Don't take those reviews seriously. At this point they're just trolling. Download the app and try it for yourself. I use it for notes while I'm interviewing people or in meetings and love the drift feature, particularly on the smaller iPads.
iPad Pro users - skip this and just use Notes
Despite the fact that Penultimate added Apple Pencil support, the app itself looks terrible on the iPad Pro. The lines aren't anti-aliased and it looks like the whole interface is just scaled up from an normal iPad view and not drawing at the iPad Pro's native resolution.
Aside from that, the app itself is really limited and isn't worth the waste of time to even download.
The native Notes app is so much better than this. My handwriting looks great in Notes and Notes has a lot more flexibility in terms of pencil and pens and colors. By contrast Penultimate is really limited and even using the smaller "lead" sizes my text ended up bigger and less legible. They screwed up their pressure support and unless you write really lightly it ends drawing much thicker lines than desired and looks kind of "blobby".
If you are looking for a more fully featured and dedicated note taking app beyond what the iOS Notes app offers, check out Notability. They did a good job supporting the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. But don't waste your time on Penultimate.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Dec 14, 2015
- Version: 6.2
- Size: 22.7 MB
- Languages: English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Seller: Cocoa Box Design LLC
- © 2006 - 2015 Evernote Corporation
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- Time & Tasks Paper Collection$0.99
- Evernote Premium$4.99
- Games Paper Collection$0.99
- Design Collection$0.99
- Music Paper Collection$2.99
- Photo Album Paper Collection$0.99
- Young Writers Paper Collection$0.99
- Evernote Premium$44.99
- Evernote Plus$2.99
- Chinese New Year 2014Free