Perfect OCR gives you both an accurate general purpose OCR app and a quality document scanner. Now you can scan and OCR your letter-size or A4 documents with an accuracy of 90% or more, edit, copy and store the recognized text, and e-mail your documents as PDF files with text, SINGLE page image, or both together!
NOTE: To ensure the advertised results it is important that you follow the OCR TIPS below (or in the app's help).
"It worked great for me! I translated a whole story in spanish using the espanol language preference and then I copied and pasted it into a translator to get the whole story in English!"
"This app is really very good and I find it to be very accurate!"
>> Perfect OCR users.
Perfect OCR scans your documents using advanced image-processing algorithms to eliminate uneven lighting and shadows and improve contrast. The result is the clearest and most readable scans possible from the iPhone's camera. Perfect OCR also offers SureScan, our proprietary scanning mode that delivers sharper images with less jitter or smear.
Our unique "Email to myself" feature lets you send documents to a predefined address, or even upload them to an online storage service like Evernote or Box.net, with a single tap. Uploading documents to online services via email is fast, secure, and can be done even if you're temporarily off line. Refer to app help for details.
All processing happens on your iPhone, and the confidentiality of your data is never compromised. There is also no subscription fee, and no Internet access is needed to scan documents or run OCR.
PERFECT OCR FEATURES:
• Letter-size or A4 page OCR with accuracy of 95% for model 3GS, 98% for iPhone 4, and up to 90% for 3G
• OCR languages: English, French, Spanish, German, Dutch, Italian, Portuguese, Swedish, Russian, Polish, Hungarian, Czech and Ukrainian.
• Email multipage PDFs with text, SINGLE page image, or both
• Automatic document edge detection and perspective correction
• Multipage text recognition with accuracy indicator
• Text editing and copy-to-clipboard operations
• Built-in OCR text archive with file sharing via iTunes
• "Email to myself" feature
• Email text and image files (.TXT + .JPG), or save image to library
• Searchable PDFs with document images (single page)
• Preserves simple text formatting
• Option to auto-remove line breaks
• SureScan mode for jitter-free scans
• Simple yet powerful user interface
• Instant brightness, rotation, and color controls
• Compact attachments with adjustable size
IMPORTANT TIPS FOR OCR:
• Make sure your document is flat and well lit. Hold your iPhone still while shooting.
• Always scan documents using "SureScan 3x" mode.
• Glossy paper may not work well (avoid glare).
• When scanning books keep the pages as flat as possible and your iPhone parallel to the surface.
• Perfect OCR cannot recognize handwritten, very large text or spreadsheets correctly.
• Make sure to select the right language for OCR in app settings.
We're constantly improving Perfect OCR, and we value our customers' opinions and feedback. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have a problem with our software, please contact us before submitting a comment to the app store. We can solve most of the problems, but we cannot respond to comments.
Email composer button color issue is fixed.
Added four more OCR languages: Polish, Hungarian, Czech and Ukrainian.
Ratings and Reviews
Not perfect but good enough
Perfect OCR… maybe not perfect but I'm impressed. It works for me on this gen 5 iPod. It doesn't seem fussy, it's really very good… The text editing part of it could use some work but I just move to Writer and fix it. Thanks guys…
I have an update: this thing still works on our new iPad generation six. Amazing.
OCR is a part of everyday life for people who are blind!
I wanted to take a moment to that Perfect OCR for a great product. OCR is s part of my everyday life as a person who is blind. I purchased the product for the little price they were asking to test it and see if it worked with voice over, apples built in accessibilty screen reader!
I was amazed! Took me about ten times to get the shot right, once I did viola I had a perfect ocr'd document!
Now that's accessibilty! There is a company that makes a product that has this feature on a candy bar style phone that scans but the overall package is over fifteen hundred dollars! Does not do what my apple does!
This is a wondeful product for anyone! Don't listen to those who are bad mouthing it! When I can sit in a meeting and have a piece of paper handed to me, now I have the same access as anyone else!
Thanks perfect OCR for making a product that levels the playing field for people living with a vision loss!
Pretty good, but note the limitations
I was trying to scan some old bulletins (typewritten, so pretty standard font). What I wanted was a searchable PDF file of the bulletin.
This product will not help me with that.
The OCR was OK. If the text was prose, then it did a good job. It fell down when the type was not perfectly clear, and when ALL CAPS were used (which the editor used often for people's names).
Also the bulletins tended to have little pictures spread across the page. That tripped it up, and they were converted to random gibberish characters.
My rating would have been higher, and I would find the app useful if it could mail the entire PDF when I was done, with the error-filled text, so that I could correct it offline. The description says it, but I'll be clear -- when you send a "image" PDF, your only option is to send an image of the last page. Nothing else. Not the first, nor all, just the last.
If you send the _text_ as PDF, it can be multi-page, but I didn't catch that subtlety before purchasing.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.