Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Everything you know about stretching is wrong. Performance Stretching will show you how to do it right.
Most people learned back in elementary school that they should do static stretching (where you hold a stretch for a few minutes) before running or engaging in sports to prevent injury. It turns out that static stretching before a workout not only decreases athletic performance, it can actually increase the risk of injury.
The right way to get ready for an intense workout is dynamic stretching: This active form of stretching moves your muscles through the full range of motion to increase your blood flow, reduce tightness, deliver important nutrients to muscles, and improve your athletic performance. Performance Stretching will show you the most effective type of warm up for running and nearly every type of sport. Add it before any activity and you will be amazed by how much your performance improves.
No matter how well you warm up, athletic activity still puts stress on the body. Performance Stretching also includes foam roller programs to give yourself a deep tissue massage and release knots that limit movement, keep your muscles tight, and lead to injury. Foam roller stretching is also excellent for for body builders, or anyone that wants to build healthy muscles, to prep their muscles for growth.
If you don't have a foam roller, Performance Stretching still includes great ways to cool down your muscles and lessen post-workout soreness by flushing out the lactic acid. This is where static stretching is best. Done at the proper time, in the proper way, static stretching will help you improve your balance, blood circulation, flexibility, range of motion, and production of synovial fluid (the fluid that reduces friction in your joints).
Whether you need a proper warm up, a cool down, or a relaxing, healing recovery, Performance Stretching will guide you through the right types of stretches for the right occasions and it will show you how to do them effectively.
• Over 150 different stretches. Each one includes a video you can view DURING YOUR WORKOUT and audio description to help you perfect your form.
• The right stretches for the right reasons. A mixture of static, dynamic, and foam roller stretches maximizes your results.
• Fast and efficient. Holding positions for longer than 30 seconds is less effective.
• Works anywhere! No equipment needed for a terrific stretching workout.
• Completely interactive. Swap out stretches to personalize your workouts.
PERFORMANCE STRETCHING PROGRAMS:
Foam Roller Stretch Program - A full-body deep tissue massage to work out all the knots that keep your muscles tight.
Dynamic Running Warm Up Stretch Program - Warm up your legs properly to take your run to the next level.
Dynamic Sport Warm Up Stretch Program - Warm up every major muscle group so that you can give your best.
Lower Back Rehab Program - Stretches and strength training moves to improve your core strength, reduce back pain, and increase your range of motion.
Lower Back Static Stretch Program - Work out the stiffness in your lower back and fix your posture.
Lower Body Static Stretch Program - You use your legs for everything, keep them at their functional best.
Upper Body Static Stretch Program - Keep your upper body loose, relaxed, and properly aligned.
Full Body Static Stretch Program - Increase flexibility, range of motion, blood flow, joint health, and posture throughout your entire body.
Quick Full Body Static Stretch Program - When time is a factor, but you still want to do something great for your body.
Static Stretch Cool Down Programs - Designed to work the lactic acid out of tired muscles and improve functional flexibility while your body is still warm.
What's New in Version 1.6.2
Adding playlists, iOS 7 stability and graphics fixes, improved lolo Connect integration, performance improvements.
Can't Build Custom Routine
I'm looking for a stretching program that lets me build a stretch routine based on my personal needs. I tried these four apps below, that receive high marks on the App Store, but each limitations. Maybe the 4 can work together to create a killer app.
1. Virtual Trainer Stretch: Best of the four because it allows you to select any stretch from a home screen and they use a real person in the images. There are 60 stretches, which may meet your needs but most of the stretches recommended by my physical therapist aren't in their library.
2. Performance Stretching: Great images and appears to have a large library but the only way to access the stretches is to use their pre-canned routines, which don't suit me (never understood why exercise apps feel they need to build routines for us). There's no way to build your own stretch routine.
3. Select Stretch Trainer: Allows you to build a stretch routine, but they use poorly animated characters. Also, no way to know how large their libraray is because you can only access by selecting a muscle group first.
4. Start Stretching: Incredibly basic...only 9 stretches and they use animated characters
As a marathoner, I find the post-run stretch routine perfect. I would give this 5 stars except for a couple of issues: once I got past day 70, the app refused to automatically progress to the next day's workout. I have to tap A LOT to get to the correct workout day now. Second, the foam roller workout is way too long and way too painful. They need a shorter foam roller session that's only 10 minutes, such as a runner's leg roller session. I can't afford 30 minutes just rolling. Third, and issue #2 would go away--need a way to pick and choose stretches for a custom program!! Fourth: I really wish the screen had a countdown timer thought and not just counting down at the start.
Excellent training coach...
I'm a long distance runner (1/2 to full marathons) and was looking for an app to help me increase my flexibility during the cold winter months. This is it! The stretches are easy to understand. I love being able to wear my coach on my arm for reference for new stretches. It's so well written, I'm thinking of trying one of their running training apps for my next race.
There is just one thing which keeps me from giving it a full 5-stars. The customization feature only allows you to swap on stretch for another. You can't add an additional, nor can you build & save a completely custom routine.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: Oct 21, 2013
- Version: 1.6.2
- Size: 81.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: lolo, LLC
- © lolo llc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.