Pet First Aid by American Red Cross
By American Red Cross
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
**"One of 5 most purr-fect apps for Cat Lovers" (04/29/2014) - Mobile FOMO**
**"8 Cool Tools for Gadget - Loving Pet People" (04/23/2014) - Good Housekeeping**
**"App could be a lifesaver for beloved four legged companions" (02/04/2014) - Times News**
**"We just used the NEW @redcross Pet FA App while at the #darbyfire response! Awesome! #gamechanging" (01/16/2014) - Red Paw Emergency Relief Team**
**"Your cat is wheezing and coughing. A car just hit your dog. Don't panic. The American Red Cross has a 99-cent app to help." (01/27/2014) The Ledger.com**
**"There is a new app on the market that is allowing pet owners to be potential life savers." (01/15/2014) - WMBF News**
Take care of your furry family member. The American Red Cross Pet First Aid app puts veterinary advice for everyday emergencies in the palm of your hand. Get the app and be prepared to act when called upon. With videos, interactive quizzes and simple step-by-step advice it’s never been easier to know Pet First Aid.
• Convenient toggle between cat and dog content.
• Simple step-by-step instructions guide you through everyday emergencies in the palm of your hand.
• Prepare and protect your pet’s health with advice on administering medication, time to say goodbye, behavioral help and how to act in a disaster situation.
• Early warning sign checker for preventive care.
• Programmable veterinary contact number to be available when needed throughout the app.
• Learn first aid steps for over 25 common pet situations through a combination of text, video and images, in addition to identifying common toxic substances.
• Locate your nearest emergency vet hospital or pet-friendly hotels.
• Respond to pet emergencies with “how to” videos for the common and stressful emergency situations inclusive of size specific CPR techniques.
• Customize multiple pet profiles and set veterinary appointments.
• Interactive quizzes allow you to earn badges that you can share with your friends along with a picture of your pet.
What's New in Version 1.0.3
Bugfixes, and stability enhancements.
80% of the functionality of the app is a good idea, just not the first aid section (which is unfortunate for an app titled "Pet First Aid"). The two stars are for this 80%; the "Learn" section gets none.
Having been a licensed veterinarian for more than 20 years, the last 11 of which dedicated solely to emergency practice, I feel qualified to comment on the information provided.
The "Learn" section has faults on virtually every condition it addresses, leading potentially to owner injury and furthering the injury to an affected pet/animal. CPR on a "high-rise syndrome"? Many of these dogs and cats sustain rib fractures, and need immediate veterinary attention, not owner CPR!
The last reviewer was upset that there is no "vomiting" section. There are hundreds of causes of vomiting, including intestinal obstruction. Pets need immediate veterinary care, not owners treating from the advice in an app. Please, please read the disclaimer carefully!
Michael LoSasso, DVM
Texas A&M University '93
No vomiting guidance?
I bought this because my dog has been vomiting all night. I'm surprised, and disappointed, that there is no "vomiting" category under the learn or emergency first aid sections.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Medical
- Updated: Jan 21, 2015
- Version: 1.0.3
- Size: 43.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: American Red Cross
- Copyright © 2013-2014 The American National Red Cross
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.