An era-defining RPG. SEGA’s landmark sci-fi epic comes to mobile. Play for free and experience one of the most acclaimed games of its generation.
Team up with an unlikely ensemble of characters to thwart evil spreading across the once-peaceful Algo Star System. Combat mutants and robots, collect a plethora of equipment, and unravel the mystery behind one of the greatest RPGs of all time.
Phantasy Star II joins the SEGA Forever classic games collection, a treasure trove of free SEGA console classics brought to life on mobile for the first time!
- An epic campaign lasting over 30 hours
- Classic 16-bit turn-based combat
- Battle against the mutants, robots, and other fierce creatures of Mota, Dezo, and Palm
- All manner of weapons to get to grips with, including laser swords, pulse cannons, and fire staves
- Eight playable characters, each with their own unique traits and skills
SEGA FOREVER FEATURES
- PLAY FREE
- SAVE YOUR GAME PROGRESS AT ANYTIME
- CONTROLLER SUPPORT: MFi compatible controllers
- OFFLINE PLAY
- GAMES RELEASED EVERY MONTH - download them all!
- INCLUDES iOS 10 STICKER PACKS
- "An excellent game that will have you hooked from the first minute to the last - which will be weeks, if not months away." [94%] - SEGA Power #15 (February 1991)
- "A challenging quest packed with gameplay." [90%] - Paul Rigby, Raze Magazine #6 (April 1991)
- "If RPGs are your bag, you couldn't do better." [89%] - Zero #17 (March 1991)
- "There are few Mega Drive titles that can compete with Phantasy Star II in the lasting appeal department." [887/1000] - Eugene Lacey, ACE #37 (October 1990)
- "This is the game that set the standard that all further Mega Drive RPGs had to follow." [88%] - MEGA Gold Summer Special (1993)
- "It's big, it's lovely; it's varied, it's magic. It's Phantasy Star II." [88%] - MEGA #18 (March 1994)
- A remake of the game was made for the PlayStation 2 in Japan, titled Phantasy Star Generation: 2
- Eight Phantasy Star II text adventures were broadcasted to players with a SEGA Meganet subscription in Japan
- The game shipped with a 110-page guide book and map in the US and UK to help guide players through
CLASSIC GAME FACTS
- Originally released in Japan in 1989, with US and European releases following in 1990 and 1991
- The first game to use a 16 Megabit cartridge
- The first 16-bit RPG released in the West
- Programmed by Yuji Naka, creator of Sonic the Hedgehog
- - - - -
Game apps are ad-supported and no in-app purchases are required to progress; ad-free play option available with in-app purchase.
This game may include "Interest Based Ads" (please see http://www.sega.com/mprivacy#3IBADiscolure for more information) and may collect "Precise Location Data" (please see http://www.sega.com/mprivacy#5LocationDataDisclosure for more information).
© SEGA. All rights reserved. SEGA, the SEGA logo, Phantasy Star II, SEGA Forever, and the SEGA Forever logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates.
Epic new update out now!
- REWIND - turn back time to give yourself the edge
- HAPTIC SUPPORT – get into the game with responsive button presses
- GRAPHICS - new filters that allow you to view the action your way
- CONTROL CUSTOMIZATION - take full control with re-mappable buttons
Ratings and Reviews
Great blast from the past!
It's hard to believe this game came out in 1989! Back then it was the largest cartridge game ever but memory was still a limitation so it came with a 100 page manual with maps, hints, descriptions of weapons, techniques, etc. The iOS port is pretty much an exact replica so I recommend finding that info on the web (unless you like frustration!) One cool addition is the cloud save feature which literally lets you save your game anywhere! I even saved the game during the closing credits! It's a good thing too as the regular 'data save' feature quit working about halfway through. The most annoying thing was the control buttons blocking large portions of the screen. I didn't find out until my last day playing that you could adjust the opacity! Oh well... Another bug I found: whenever I tried to use the Neisword to return to Lutz, the game froze and I had to exit and restart from my last save. (I am on an iPad with 10.3.3). I just used Hinas to get back so it wasn't a big deal. Five stars to Sega for allowing me to relive a small portion of my youth! One more thing, I paid to remove the ads and there was only one Sega ad that would pop up when you first start the game. Not as annoying as the reviews led me to believe.
What have you done Sega...
So this game is horrible port. Probably used 3rd party developer to do the work, and they did the bare minimum. Here are some of the major issues. 1) Sound quality is horrible. They really need to fix this choppy/scratchy noise. 2) There's ads in the game. Even when you pay to get rid of ads, It's getting rid of only Sega's partners ads. So you still see Sega pushing their own ads down your throat. You just can't get rid of them totally. 3) Another seriously messed up part is save function doesn't work properly! When I save and close the program. It doesn't load up where I left off. This is a major problem. Until the problems are addressed this review of 1 star will remain. I encourage others to avoid this game. Shame on Sega for ruining a perfectly good classic game. I hope they take note of this review and work on the bugs. If the game is updated to correct these issues, I will re-review it.
So recently the app was updated soon as iOS 11 came out. The game doesn’t even load now. What a junk. Please do not spend any money on this game, better yet save yourself the aggravation and don’t even download as it won’t work.
Hi Multipassooo, we are aware of the issue related to the in-game save system not functioning correctly and are working hard on an update to resolve it. In the meantime you can still save your game by using the Cloud Save feature that can be found in the menu accessed from the save button located at the top right of the screen.
Great Game Marred By Terrible Emulator
Initially when I had downloaded this game, I was excited to play one of my all time favorite RPGs and the whole reason I purchased a Sega Genesis back in the day. I quickly fired up the game, paid to remove ads, and began on my nostalgic journey.
At first, the game played pretty well. I was enjoying playing and remembering a lot more of the game than I thought I would have. I did notice that the music and sound was a bit off, but the core game was still intact. And then the problems started to show up.
First of all, when you pay to remove ads, you still get a splash page ad upon launching the game. This is unacceptable for having paid to remove ads.
Next, you could save your game via either the save places in the game or the cloud save. I relied on the cloud save a few times in addition to the in-game save. Frequently, the cloud save said that it saved only for me to find out that it did not and I would lose an hour or more of progress.
Now I have updated the game only to find out that not only are all of my in-game saves gone, but you can’t even make new ones. In addition, I have cloud saves and I can load them, but it will crash the entire app every single time.
Take this review as a warning. Do not put any money towards this app! In fact, don’t even bother trying to play it at all. An epic RPG game without a working save game system is completely worthless. If I could get a refund, I would!
Hi there, I'm sorry to hear that you are currently having issues with the save data crashing when trying to load it. I have sent the information to the developers who will be investigating options on how to solve this issue. Please do keep an eye on the app store for future updates from the developers that will hopefully address the problem.
- Sega America
- 134.3 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © SEGA, the SEGA logo and PHANTASY STAR II are either registered trade marks or trade marks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Upgrade $1.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.