Phases of the Moon
By Universe Today
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Learn the current phase of the Moon with one of the most detailed and scientifically accurate visualizations ever made of the Moon.
This app shows you the current phase of the Moon, using a simulation of the lunar surface created by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance mission during its observations of the Moon.
* Beautiful images of the Moon were made by NASA from data collected by spacecraft.
* See the current date, phase name, illumination percentage, distance to the Earth and Moon age.
* Swipe left and right to move forward or backwards in time to see what the Moon will look like in the future or past.
* Need to find the next full Moon? You can click a button to take you to the next full Moon.
* You can also access a calendar that shows you the phase of the Moon for any date in the future.
* Press play and watch the Moon rotate through its phases, all on its own.
* Pinch to zoom the Moon in and out to reveal more details on the lunar surface, and then pan around with two fingers
* See the zodiac signs so you can find the Moon quickly in the night sky
* Turn on a full lunar atlas, with dozens of labeled locations, including landing sites, craters and lunar maria.
Developed by Universe Today. Please email me if you have any questions or there are any problems with your specific version of Android.
Moon images created by NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center Scientific Visualization Studio
If you have found a bug, or maybe have feature suggestion, please drop us an email firstname.lastname@example.org
What's New in Version 3.2
Easy, looks great, plenty to explore
Much of what you might wish to know about the moon is packed into this seemingly simple app. Of course it shows you the moon's phases and you can make the image wax and wane with a fingertip. As the base image is based in NASA photos, it's not only out mother moon in all her beauty, the developers have also made it so that you can zoom in to do a bit of exploring and you can find the position relative to the rest of the night sky. It's handy, it's educational, and it's been bug-free for me. Recommend.
A good app to find out what phase the moon is in. Cool optional atlas of moon geography & landings, etc. User interface could use some work. On my iPhone when I open up the app, it's often stuck on a previous date. It would be better if it automatically opened onto today's date. Also navigation is a bit strange: hitting the play button advances rapidly through the days. I do like the feature that shows how far away the moon is at any given moment.
My Favorite App??
IT MIGHT be! The Phases of the Moon app is a personal favorite because I am so drawn to the moon. The app allows me to enjoy the moon even when the weather is not cooperating. Even though it was overcast in DC the night of the "blood moon," the app displayed the orange orb! I really dig the app!
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Oct 16, 2015
- Version: 3.2
- Size: 52.2 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Fraser Cain
- © Copyright 2012 - Universe Today
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.