PhotoDesk - for Instagram
By Benedikt Terhechte
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
** The BEST Mac App for Instagram! **
View, like, comment, and download Instagram pictures/videos! (NO Uploads! / Image Posting! Instagram forbids that! AND you *need* an *existing* Instagram account). But you can do so much more:
Of all Mac clients, Photodesk allows you to use the most features of Instagram on your Mac and even exceeds Instagram’s functionality.
- Video Support
- See Pictures on a Map
- Search for Places
- Save Images / Videos
- Comment Templates
- Fantastic, modern UI, optimized for Mac OS X Yosemite
"PhotoDesk provides a slick, simple, desktop way to view and appreciate the photos of others."
* Instagram features:
Know what your friends are up to
View your friend’s feed, pictures, comments, profiles and followers
* React to your friends posts
Comment and like pictures
Share pictures on Facebook, Twitter and per Email
See which comments you replied to, star comments, search within comments, and much more.
* Save pictures and Videos
Download pictures and videos easily through drag and drop
Save beautiful pictures in albums
Or sync your images automatically to a folder
* Receive News and Notifications
See when you get new comments, likes, or followers
* Administer your circle of friends
Follow and unfollow people.
See friendship requests and allow or deny them
Place favorite tags in the sidebar, automatically see if there're new images tagged with that tag.
Search tags, save favorite tags, see related tags
***** NO PICTURE UPLOAD POSSIBLE because it is forbidden by Instagram****
***** YOU NEED AN INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT TO USE THIS APP******
- Select Favorite Friends
Your news feed is too cluttered? Manage huge amounts of followers by picking 'Favorite Friends', close friends whose updates you want to see immediately
* Search & Filter Facilities
Photodesk 3 offers a fantastic search engine to comb through vast amounts of images. You can now create specific searches for every aspect of an image so that you can find the proverbial needle in the haystack.
* Slide Shows
View pictures in beautiful slide shows
* Support for multiple accounts
Just switch to a different account easily, without having to enter a password again.
* Privacy Support
Automatically log out of Instagram/PhotoDesk with all your accounts when you close the app.
* See a huge amount of images at the same time
Automatically load many images up front to sort or search them
* Fasttrack liking
Quickly like an image by hovering over it and clicking a small heart icon. Instagram limits third party apps like Photodesk to 100 likes per hour
* Fast User Preview
Easily preview a user account without entering it. A small popup will appear that shows you the gist about this user.
* Different view modes
See pictures just as you need them: small icons, medium icons, big icons, feed or detailed view
Sort and structure Favorite Friends, Favorite Tags, Favorite Places, and Favorite Images into Folders
* Yosemite Today Widget
You can now see the six most recent feed images in the Notification Center, utilizing the brand new Yosemite Today Widget extension.
The last 250 images or user profiles that you visited are stored in a visual history which makes it easy to find that one image again.
* Sync Finder Tags
Every image/video you put into a folder is automatically stored on disk and Finder tags will be added for the album's name and any folder that the album is in. This makes it easy to find items that you downloaded right in the Finder with specific tags applied to them.
"With slick animations throughout, comment intergration and more, Photodesk is a fine addition to your Mac software collection."
"Overall, this application is gorgeous, and I can’t wait until Instagram changes their policy so I can actually upload photos from my Mac!"
What's New in Version 3.0.1
- Added new exporting / importing mechanism for Albums
- When exporting / importing Favorite Tags, Favorite Users, Favorite Locations or Albums, the folders are now also being exported.
- Added a new mode to display the heart like / unlike icon always so that one can easier distinguish which items were already loaded
- One can now doubleclick next to the big image in the detail view in order to close the detail view
- Added the option to see the news in the old 2.x way again. To enable this, start Terminal.app and enter the following line:
defaults write com.stylemac.instadesk PDUseOldNewsView true
- Added a new item to the right click / context menu for sidebar items that allows to move the selected item to a folder
- Added a new help menu entry to easily access the startup tutorials
- Improved the "dark mode" to apply to many more situations in the app now
- When Photodesk is quit in fullscreen mode, it will startup in fullscreen mode
- Improved the look of many items when the font size was set to big
- Updated the looks of the "big like icon"
- Improved Secure networking mode, to prevent issues where loading of data sometimes did not complete, or only completed half.
- Slightly improved the speed with which images are being displayed
- Using the "L" shortcut for multiple images now will like those multiple images, if mass operations are active (in the Preferences)
- Added a warning that appears when PhotoDesk is still loading the data for the "follows back" information, because this data has to be loaded calculated first after startup and depending on the amount of followers, this can take some time.
- Changed it so that the feed is not being reloaded when viewing a users profile and going back
- Update the login view to accomodate the new buttons that Instagram displays there
- Folders in the sidebar are not sorted alphabetically
- The loading indicator now better indicates that Photodesk is still loading.
- Fixed a serious memory leak
- Fixed several translation issues
- Removed a white bar above the feed list view on Retina devices
- Fixed a bug where selecting an item was impossible if the mini sidebar menu was open
- Fixed an issue where the biography in the user detail view would not be displayed correctly in small window sizes
- Fixed a bug where scrolling down in any view would not load more items
- Fixed a bug where sometimes the account switcher does not work
- Fixed a bug where scrolling down in list view for followers and follows would not load more items
- Fixed a bug, where deleting a Folder would turn the sidebar all white
- Fixed many, many bugs that lead to sudden crashes
- Fixed a bug where scrolling in the follower / follow icon view mode would re-select a previously selected user
- Fixed a rare bug that could corrupt the folders for a user account
- Fixed an issue where when scrolling down in a user detail view, it would suddenly say "Private" at the top
- The message “this user has set his profile to private” has been changed to his/her
Needs some serious stability work
The app itself is great… When it’s working. At least about 70% of the time (being generous) the app loads up blank. Nothing you do short of closing it out and restarting it a few times will fix it. Also, at least half the time, any notifications you get refuse to clear. They just won’t go away. Unless again, you spend about 10 minutes restarting the app until by luck it starts taking your commands.
The features are all there, outside of photo uploading which is a limit Instagram imposes, it’s not the fault of the app dev. It allows you to download photos or videos, comment, like, and so on, and the interface is actually beautiful. They just need to really work desperately hard on stability, as it’s very hit or miss that it works at any given time. But when it works, it would be worthy of a 5 star rating.
"Sync my picture” multi-account options
It really needs the option to place different accounts’ synced photos in different folders as opposed to downloading them ALL to the same location. I manage multiple accounts and only want to manage some but sync others and when I sync others, i only want those photos in their specfic folders.
Also, Favorites Only filtered view of pictures, please! :)
Great app. Great developer.
This is probably the best Instagram desktop client there is. It’s just like the mobile app and then some. You can’t upload your own photos, but that’s because Instagram doesn’t allow it, so not the developers fault. Highly recommend this app and great developer too. Very open to hear suggestions.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Nov 19, 2014
- Version: 3.0.1
- Size: 8.7 MB
- Languages: English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish
- Seller: Benedikt Terhechte
- © Benedikt Terhechte
Compatibility: OS X 10.8 or later, 64-bit processor