By Ballpoint Inc
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Macworld.com REVIEW (US and Australia), by Joel Mathis: "As God is my witness, I thought the phrase was 'waiting with baited breath.' Thanks to Phrase Wit—a snarky, funny educational iPad and iPhone app from Ballpoint—I now know better."
***** Phrase Wit fan: "Anchors aweigh? When did that happen? Since I enjoyed Word Wit so much, I decided to give Phrase Wit a try. I'm truly in awe of how rusty I am. The game is a blast, but I think that the descriptions are where the fun is. The origins of these phrases are fascinating! I am definitely looking forward to future updates!"
Phrase Wit helps you get your wits about you when you have to commit common Phrases to writing. While the phrases are well known (uh, "common"), and most people (think they) know what they mean, writing them can be another kettle of fish! Find out once and for all how they're spelled, and why. Then test yourself, earn points, beat the clock, publish your results, and become a better writer. All in one.
New phrases being added soon!
HOW IT WORKS
- Spin the wheel to generate random selections from over 100 pairs of Phrases — a list that will grow through future updates. Phrases also can be searched or found in the alphabetical Lists: Common Phrases, and Mangled Cousins.
- On the Description pages, each phrase comes alive: Where’s it from? How’s it spelled? Why? How can I remember the difference? For each entry, Ballpoint’s team of educators aim to nail the reasons people get confused, and to create memorable learning through insights and mnemonics.
- Quiz questions provide "spaced repetition," proven to aid retention.
- Quotes from classic and current books show the correct phrase used in the correct sense. Quotes showing real-life incorrect usage come from (where else?) the Wide World Inter-Web!
- Trends slider activates a Medusan circle animation that generates Phrases, à la the Spin Wheel, and shows real-time popularity among users.
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Improvements? Please send them to us directly at email@example.com. Ballpoint is committed to making your learning and playing experiences rich and worthwhile.
What's New in Version 1.9.1
Updated for iOS7 with a more responsive app and some UI tweaks.
Good content, no frills
I'm a well educated adult who wanted to try this app for fun and to reduce errors in my professional writing. Learning the etiology of many of the phrases is interesting. On the other hand learning that I have been incorrectly using and confusing many common phrases has been disconcerting. 😕 Word processing programs with "Spell Check" work well to pick up single word misspellings, but do not help much with confused words and incorrect phrase use. This app is a nothing fancy, but is a more or less enjoyable way to learn.
I love this application and I have used it a lot. Recently, I have been noticing that the crashes incidents are increasing.
I have the application downloaded on an iPhone 4 , iPhone 5S, 5th Generation iPod Touch and finally on my new iPhone 6 plus, but the application crashed every time an attempt is made to open it..
The paid version has ads
This app is ok, but it's not so useful.
You have to watch ads to try the practice part.
- Category: Lifestyle
- Updated: Oct 08, 2013
- Version: 1.9.1
- Size: 17.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Ballpoint, Inc.
- © 2011 Ballpoint, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.