Do you love language, travel and meeting people from other cultures?
PhraseMates contains millions of phrases in English, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Farsi & Khuzdul. It’s like a giant phrasebook with a twist. You can add phrases and share them with other users or “mates”. If you are a beginner, no worries, you can ask other mates to translate something for you. Translate for others and score karma points to help you appear higher in the Mates list and meet people.
Here is what you can do with PhraseMates...
- Select a language you know and one you want to learn with flag icons.
- Enter a word, then tap Search to find matching phrases.
- Tap Heart icon to add a phrase to Favorites.
- Add a translation & share it with the community, Phrases > +.
- Ask other users to translate a phrase, see Translate > Ask.
- Translate a Request and score Karma points, see Translate > Requests.
- Browse and follow other users, see Mates tab.
- Find Friends from Facebook, see More > Facebook PhraseMates.
Some features require you to Login with Facebook but this is only to limit spam and offensive posts. We won't share info or post anything without asking. Promise!
Who can benefit from PhraseMates.
Students, use PhraseMates to learn phrases that won't appear in academic textbooks. Search for fun words about school, social life or slang. Find people to connect with on Facebook that share you interest in language.
Teachers, recommend PhraseMates to your students to learn a language in an interesting way. Make language learning a social activity so students stayed engaged.
Translators can use PhraseMates to promote their skills. Scoring karma points allows a translator to appear higher in the Mates list. Users who click on your profile can view About Me information and you can share your location and a website.
Comments or questions? We love feedback, so please email email@example.com or go to http://facebook.com/phrasemates to share your suggestions for improvements with us.
We look forward to your feedback Mate!
- Improved phrase searches to find more exact matches.
- Changed Requests tab to Translate so you can Ask for Translations and Respond to Requests from one place.
- Added Translate Now features which provides machine translation in case a user doesn't respond quickly. See My Profile > My Requests, then select request and tap Translate Now button.
- Implemented start-up dialogue to select language you want to learn and native language.
- Added continuous scroll to Mates screens to see all users interested in a language.
- Added Best Mates list of users with most Karma points to More Menu. Can you get to the top?
- Fixed language selectors (flags) so choices you make on one screen follow you to next.
- Added Location and Website fields to User Profile so you can connect with like-minded users.
- Added capitalization to Add Phrase and Ask to Translate. Don't forget proper punctuation!
- Fixed issue causing some phrase searches to hang.
- Improvements to screen layouts and help text.
Ratings and Reviews
Im in high school taking Spanish. I already use the Spanish dictionary I thought I would try this app. The buttons are simple. Easy to do stuff. I asked for two translations by mistake and it was hard to delete one, had to go to profile. Overall, it's really nice. This version seems to do a better job of finding phrases and it's easier to ask for translations.
This app is great! I took German in HS and am trying to refresh my skills. PhraseMates is much more realistic than a lot of other language apps and resources out there. I like that it is simple to use, yet has a depth of original phrases. My only critique is that I don't like logging into Facebook. It could be clearer as to why that is recommended. Glad I found PhraseMates!
A simple and fun way to learn another languages!
Super simple interface that not only helped me find some great and helpful translation, but also got me lost in all the fun phrases others were translating! Can't wait to see where the app goes.
- Ascendo Inc.
- 8.9 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Persian, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © Ascendo
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.