PhySyCalc - Scientific and Engineering Calculator
By PhySy Ltd
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
PhySyCalc is the next generation scientific and engineering calculator with units—it makes the others seem like slide rules.
How is PhySyCalc different from other calculators? It allows you to include unit symbols in your calculations, obtaining the answer in the desired unit without those extra unit conversion steps. On top of this great simplification, PhySyCalc knows every fundamental physical constant. It even knows physical properties for elements and isotopes in the periodic table and can calculate formula weights. This allows you to get numerical answers in the desired unit in a fraction of the time you'd spend on a conventional calculator. PhySyCalc is quick to learn and easy to use. Can't remember a unit symbol? PhySyCalc helps you find and append commonly used units onto a number. PhySyCalc uses a natural infix notation for calculations. This means you can enter and read through the entire expression in full before calculating the result, helping you quickly identify and fix any input errors.
Not only does PhySyCalc save you time, it also saves you from mistakes. A conventional calculator will also give you a numerical answer, even if you accidentally multiplied instead of dividing. With PhySyCalc you’ll know right away that you entered the calculation wrong because the result will have the wrong units.
As a teaching tool PhySyCalc offers students better insights in the concepts of physical quantity, dimensionality, and units. A student using PhySyCalc soon understands the connections between the base SI quantities and all the derived quantities.
PhySyCalc's sole ambition is to be the world's best scientific "pocket" calculator.
Below are some sample inputs and outputs of progressive complexity.
Add 2 centimeters and 2 inches and give the answer in centimenters
Input: “2 cm + 2 in .. cm”
Output: “7.08 cm”
Add 2 centimeters and 2 inches and give the answer in inches
Input: “2 cm + 2 in .. in”
Output: “2.78740157480315 in”
Note: Swipe two fingers across the display to reduce the number of significant figures.
Multiply 3 teaspoons by 10 and give the answer in fluid ounces
Input: “3 tsp • 10 .. floz”
Output: “5 floz”
Calculate the rest mass energy of the electron in kiloelectronvolts
Input: “m_e•c_0^2 .. keV”
Output: “510.99894631902 keV”
Calculate the area in acres of a circle that has a radius of 1 mile. Recall Area = π•r^2
Input: “π•(1 mi)^2..ac”
Output: “2010.619298297468 ac”
Calculate the height in yards of a kite on 200 feet of string and flying at an angle of 40° with the ground. Recall right triangle relationship y = r•sin(angle).
Input: “200 ft • sin(40°) .. yd”
Output: “42.85250731243595 yd”
Calculate the volume in milliliters of 5 grams of carbon dioxide gas at 300 K and 989 mbar. Recall gas law: V = nRT/p.
Input: “(5 g/fw[CO2]•R•300 K)/(989 mbar)..mL”
Output: “2856.382301275785 mL”
PhySyCalc features include:
• Quantity units supported in all calculations
• Natural infix notation for entering calculations in full before evaluating
• Intuitive interface for appending units unto numbers so you can enter your calculation quickly
• Minimal buttons in portrait display for ease and speed of use
• Complex number support
• Press and hold delete button to clear entire display
• Left swipe display for unlimited undo makes it easy to find mistakes and correct them
• Right swipe display for redo
• Swipe up for keyboard
• Swipe down and navigate to the right unit for quantity (for iPhone)
• Swipe two fingers down on screen for full list of quantities and units
• Double-touch slide on display to reduce the number of significant figures
• Rotate to landscape for more units and scientific functions
• Press and hold any math function to apply to entire display
• Press and hold = button to retrieve value stored in memory
• Saves and recalls results to memory
• Universal app, supporting both iPhone and iPad displays
What's New in Version 2.06
Minor bug fix related to font super and subscripts
Fixed height of keyboard in iPad version.
This is a great app, I use it all the time at work and home. Love that I can select out of many unit choices at the end of calculation! I am a professional chemist using it for volume, mass, moles, and electrical terms. Temp and length too. Super handy!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Nov 12, 2015
- Version: 2.06
- Size: 4.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: PhySy Ltd
- © PhySy Ltd
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.