“…a powerful music utility that is perfect for getting reacquainted with your favorite tunes.” — John Voorhees, MacStories.net
Featured in Macworld’s “Alternatives to Apple’s iOS Music app”, Picky is for people particular about their music, giving you full control over how you browse and listen to your albums and songs.
‣ Picky keeps your Artists and Albums lists uncluttered by hiding those with only a few songs – simply adjust the filters to taste.
‣ Queue up tracks to play later: simply swipe to the left on a song until the ‘+’ icon appears and turns solid orange, then let go to enqueue it.
‣ Use Picklists to quickly play (or enqueue) groups of songs – like playing an album without its bonus tracks.
‣ Picky lets you easily filter your Songs and Albums lists by genre (or by multiple genres). You can do things like quickly put together a mix by opening the filter, tapping on a few genres, and then closing it and tapping Shuffle.
‣ Easily sort the main Albums list or artists’ album lists with just a couple taps: by title, release date, duration, or by date added to your library.
‣ You can use the Artists and Songs filters to keep singles and one-hit-wonders tucked away, or bring them into focus when you really want to listen to them.
‣ Picky intelligently combines both grouping by artist and by album artist, so you'll always find your songs where you expect them to be. But if you prefer just one of the groupings, you can easily change that with a setting.
‣ Quickly see the list of your currently playing songs by simply swiping up in the Now Playing view.
‣ Picky is designed for iOS 12 and works with AirPlay 2, in-line headphone remotes, Split View, Control Center, 3D Touch, VoiceOver, iTunes Match, and Apple Music that has been added to your collection. You can use Picky exclusively or seamlessly switch between it and the system Music app.
Picky: for listeners with refined taste.
‣ Picky now always opens up to the last tab you were on (Artists, Albums, Songs, or Playlists).
‣ Album detail screens now show total times in hours and minutes, and Playlist detail screens now show total times too.
‣ Picky now supports AirPlay 2, including an updated menu for choosing your audio destination and support for multiple AirPlay speakers at once.
‣ Queuing up large numbers of songs is now much smoother, the Now Playing queue is now properly updated when shuffling songs, and it won’t show up filled with untitled tracks when returning from the background. Unfortunately due to system limitations I’ve also had to remove the ability to remove tracks from the queue.
‣ Optimizations for the newest iPad Pro screen sizes.
‣ Loading improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Better than the native Apple Music app
This app is by far superior to the Apple Music app. From showing cd covers in artist view instead of an artist picture which is usually blank to allowing someone to see albums in the order downloaded to the iTunes collection from most recent to oldest in the entire history of the phone instead of only the last 20 or so like in the native player this app does it right! It’s worth the purchase price and you will switch to it after about a week of adjusting. I’m a big fan of this app and highly recommend it for downloaded music for picky people!!
Developer Response ,
Thanks Uevf, I’m glad you’re so pleased with Picky! 😀
Fantastic replacement for Apple’s Music app
I’ve been searching for a music app to replace Apple’s, but each one I’ve tried has problems I just can’t overlook... That is, until I tried Picky! It’s responsive, bug free, and easy to use. It has great sort options, so I can view my music just the way I want it. In my eyes, the only thing it really lacks is support for playlist folders, but since everything else is perfect, I’m willing to do without them. If you have a large collection of iTunes music like I do, I would highly recommend this app.
Developer Response ,
Glad to hear how happy with Picky you are! I’ve been meaning to investigate playlist folder support further… stay tuned 🙂
I like most everything. Two suggestions
This app seems to work pretty well. I really enjoy the dynamic coloring on the player. It's so pretty and a lot nicer to look at than blank white! If I could give one suggestion, it would be for star ratings to be supported. According to the developer of Cesium, it is possible to do it. I would also like to see a number next to the "compilations" category that would tell me how many comp. albums I have.
Developer Response ,
Hi slbee123, I’m glad you’re liking the app — thanks so much for the feedback! Yes, although there is no *official* support for star ratings in third-party music apps there are ways to get it working, and it is on my (eventual) to-do list. That compilations counter sounds like a great quick win though, so I’ll see if I can squeeze that into my next update. Thanks!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.