Picture Sight Words: See the picture get the word!
By Roma Anurag Sood
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
I See, I Spell, I Learn® products support early literacy in children. They have been tried and tested on emerging readers (4-8 years). Our research shows that children are more successful using these learning products as they are visually engaging and fun to use.
WHAT ARE SIGHT WORDS?
Children start to read by “sounding out” words. However many words cannot be sounded out. Words like “are”, “your”, “come”, etc. appear so frequently in early reading material, that children must be able to recognize these words by “sight”, hence the name “sight words”. So sight words must be memorized or recognized instantly, rather than being sounded out or decoded.
WHY PICTURE SIGHT WORDS™?
We have worked extensively with children who struggle with reading and spelling. The traditional method of exposure to and repetition of sight words can be difficult, boring and worse, ineffective! Picture Sight Words™ can help a child read, spell and understand sight words much faster. The words have been taken from Dolch Sight Words lists (Pre-K to 3rd grade). Each set has 25 words that go from a beginner level in Set 1 to an advanced level in Set 3.
• READING: Picture Sight Words™ are a research-based, multi-sensory teaching tool that help children recognize and, thus, read sight words much faster. Picture cues allow a child to recall a picture instead of a letter - the picture provides a context that helps your child understand and recognize what the word says. Simply put, the picture tells a story which makes recalling the sight word easier.
• SPELLING: Picture Sight Words™ are the first cards that help a child spell sight words. The picture cue embedded in the word is in the shape of the tricky letter. Now when the child tries to recall that letter, he can recall the picture, which will tell him what letter it is because it has the same shape. The cards are not cluttered with confusing visuals. There is usually just one picture in the word, making recall easier. For the first time, your child can "draw" a word, and spelling sight words can become fun!
• COMPREHENSION: The sentence at the back of each card uses the sight word, and helps your child understand the meaning of the word in context.
WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM THE PICTURE SIGHT WORDS™ PROGRAM?
The program works best for emerging readers (4-8 years old), since the pictures keep younger children engaged. The cards can be used alone or as part of any reading or spelling program. These cards have proved to be a great learning tool for children with learning differences like dyslexia, since they use right-brained strengths of recalling a picture, instead of relying on the weaker left-brain to recall a sequence of letters which have no meaning to them.
HOW TO USE THE PICTURE SIGHT WORDS™ PROGRAM?
• Instructions for reading: Show your child the card, and listen to the audio. Have your child repeat this 3 times. Flip the card and listen to the sentence. Have your child make up a sentence with the sight word. Flip back to the word and discuss the picture. Make comments like “Oh that’s a nice color!” or “Why do you think they used that picture?” or “What is the picture telling us about?”. The more you engage children, the more likely they are to remember the picture. Move to the next card.
You can wait till your child can read all 25 cards before working on spelling, or you can start once reading 5 cards has been mastered. Learning to spell sight words takes longer than learning to read them, so patience is key!
• Instructions for spelling: Show your child the card and repeat the sentence as needed. Discuss the shape of the letter and show its connection to the picture cue and to the sentence. Help them remember the picture, rather than memorizing a letter over and over.
The PSW app also lets you browse and access other educational material like Phonics and Sight Word Readers, Reading Comprehension Workbooks, Inspirational books for children and reference materials for teachers, tutors and parents.
A wonderful learning app for kids with simple easy to understand pictures and words. Love it's audio feature. Worth 5 stars. Will continue using it.
Must have for every child!
Simple and elegant app that combines the concepts of sight words, pictures, sentence construction and audio, making it easier for kids to learn. Love the helpful pointers to get started.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Released: Mar 14, 2017
- Version: 1.0.01
- Size: 104 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Roma Anurag Sood
- © 2012 - 2018, I See, I Spell, I Learn, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Picture Sight Words™ - Beginner Card Set.$8.99
- Picture Sight Words™ - Intermediate Card Set.$9.99
- Picture Sight Words™ - Advanced Card Set.$9.99