By Garmin DCI
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*30 Days Free Trial on initial download!*
Plan. File. Fly.
Garmin Pilot is the most comprehensive suite of tools for the iPad designed specifically for general aviation and corporate pilots. Flight planning, charts, interactive maps, weather briefing resources and navigation capabilities; it’s all included. The app’s intuitive interface mirrors those on the newest Garmin touchscreen avionics so you can go seamlessly from preflight to inflight.
Garmin Pilot’s powerful capabilities start with pre-flight planning, providing pilots with the most comprehensive aviation weather information to make better-informed flight decisions. Pilots can check NEXRAD radar, visible and infrared cloud imagery, METARs, TAFs, AIRMETs, SIGMETs, PIREPs, NOTAMs, winds and temperature aloft, TFRs and lightning data. With Garmin Pilot, data can be displayed over Garmin’s interactive maps that support track-up navigation, VFR sectional or an IFR low or high en-route chart to visualize the weather for your route. Add text-based weather widgets and use the exclusive NavTrack feature to view weather along the planned route. Simply tap any location on the map and the Radial Menu provides easy access to navigation information, including: airports, navaids, current METARs, direct-to, airspaces, creating a waypoint and allowing for graphical editing of a flight plan.
With Garmin Pilot, users can easily enter a flight plan and interactively edit it on the map. Pre-loaded forms make it quick to save and reuse data for frequently flown routes. And when the flight plan is ready, Garmin Pilot makes it simple to file, amend or close the flight plan via DTC DUAT or CSC DUATS. Electronic confirmations from DUAT(S) meet FAA legal briefing requirements. (Flight plan filing is only available in the U.S. at this time.)
Garmin Pilot provides full en-route navigation capability on its moving map, while showing ETE, ETA, crosstrack error, distance to waypoint and current position. Pilots can also navigate with Garmin’s patented panel, a GPS-driven instrument pack with a graphical HSI directional display and indicators for groundspeed, altitude and vertical speed. After takeoff, pilots can continue to view real-time weather in the U.S. and traffic information by wirelessly connecting to Garmin’s GDL 39 3D portable ADS-B Receiver (sold separately).
Garmin Pilot U.S. Standard features include:
- Rich, interactive maps support Track-Up navigation
- Charts: VFR Sectionals, low and high IFR en-route, airport diagrams and approach procedures
- Weather Maps: Animated radar, AIRMETs, SIGMETs, Lightning, PIREPs, METARs, TAFs, Winds aloft, TFRs, Infrared and Visible Satellite
- Extensive text products: METARs, TAFs, Winds Aloft, PIREPs, AIRMETs, SIGMETs, Area Forecasts and NOTAMs
- AOPA Airport Directory
- Flight plan filing via DUAT(S)
- Garmin patented navigation panel
- Terrain and Obstacles
- Smart Airspace
- Fast Find predictive Waypoint Entry
- Optional VFR Premium offering: Synthetic Vision (SVX), Terrain and obstacle alerting, and Garmin SafeTaxi®
- Optional IFR Premium offering: VFR Premium plus geo-referenced Garmin FliteCharts®
Garmin Pilot Global Premium features include:
- Worldwide Jeppesen navigation data
- Rich, interactive maps support Track-Up navigation
- Radar and Satellite imagery for Western Europe, U.S., Canada and Australia
- Worldwide METARs, TAFs, AIRMETs, SIGMETs, NOTAMs and winds aloft
- Terrain and Obstacles with alerting capabilities
- Synthetic Vision (SVX)
- Moving Map Navigation
- Visual Reporting Points (VRPs) in Europe
- Smart Airspace
- Fast Find Predictive Waypoint Entry
- Optional VFR charts from DFS and IFR enroute charts from EuroControl
- Optional Garmin FliteCharts® and SafeTaxi® diagrams available on a country-by-country basis
*Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.*
*Note: One subscription to Garmin Pilot may be used on two devices.*
What's New in Version 8.2.1
Version 8.2.1 includes the option to purchase VFR charts for France and minor bug fixes for our latest release.
Decent app when it works right. Still doesn't have a GPS tracklog feature after several years when every other Garmin product does. Checks registration at the most inopportune time and will lock you out of the app if it doesn't have an internet connection, strongly recommend you never use this app for IFR since it will try to kill you.
There are good and not so good features, but the unacceptable condition is when you can have everything up to date. Takeoff IFR and get locked out of the app. for the whole weekend. Garmin just decides you are not a customer and locks you out. They don't answer the phone after there banker's hours. When you call on Monday they will reset your password even if you want your old one.
Great, but... Needs UPDATE!
This is a nice app to use in the cockpit. It is a big help where it has the NEXRAD on the IFR enroute charts. It is really good because I use the GNS 530 to fly with. This is much better than my GNS! This app needs some improving...
- ADS-B Traffic Alerts visually and voice announces "Traffic, Traffic".
- Split screen for two Approach plates. Example, STAR split with A/P diagram or Approach plate with A/P diagram. Also split screen on synthetic vision.
- Active legs appear magenta and has "approaching waypoint" indicator like GNS 530 so pilot knows when to change course
- SafeTaxi easier to find and more availability (my local airport doesn't have it available)
- Improve the METAR weather page. It says "No Wx" and many airports I go to has an AWOS and publishes a METAR.
- Lower Price!
- Make HSI have selectable HDG... For example, Direct a VOR and you can change heading to make needle center.
- Needs a "Procedure" button like the GNS 530. I want to load an instrument approach for situational awareness
- Approach plate on map page overlay.
- Would be nice if Geo-Ref could be available on the actual airport diagram.
- Vertical Speed indicator user changeable from 2,000 FPM to 6,000 FPM
- Needs Runway Proximity Advisor™: The Runway Proximity Advisor is a visual and audio alerting feature – designed to help reduce runway incursions – that advises you when it predicts your aircraft is approaching, entering, or crossing a runway... Just like ForeFlight
- Needs holding patterns and pattern entry similar ForeFlight
- Needs reminder messages programmable at certain times
- Better integration with 1-800-WX-BRIEF to file a flight plan electronically.
- Needs a small circle similar to a G/S that has a descent profile loaded to get a proper descent angle to get to desired altitude.
Other than this, Garmin Pilot is my choice for the cockpit.
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Apr 12, 2016
- Version: 8.2.1
- Size: 87.8 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Digital Cyclone
- © 2009-2014 Garmin, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- 1 Year Subscription to Garmin Pilot$74.99
- 1 Month Subscription to Garmin Pilot$9.99
- IFR Premium$74.99
- 3 Month Subscription to Garmin Pilot$24.99
- VFR Premium$49.99
- 1 Year - Garmin Pilot Global$149.99
- Jeppesen NavData - North America$99.99
- Garmin Pilot Canada Premium$129.99
- Europe FliteCharts$24.99
- Europe SafeTaxi$24.99