Pilots Guide for iOS from Optima Publications LLC is a full-featured App for both the iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch. The App is built around the pages of our popular Pilots Guide series of VFR Airport Information Guides which cover all public-use airports in the Western United States.
Pilots who are already familiar with Pilots Guide will recognize the information exactly as they see it in their paper book, but now in sharp, crisp display on their iOS device. All of the airport information is exactly where they expect to find it, without the need to learn a new format. Add to that, the enhanced features of the App (listed below) and Pilots Guide for iOS is an unbeatable VFR pilot resource!
For pilots new to Pilots Guide, this is the most comprehensive, user-friendly VFR Airport Information Guide available for the Western U.S. This is the product that sets the standard for what an airport guide should be. Five full pages for each Tower Airport cover all the standard data plus what instructions to expect from the tower; a VFR approach map with drawings of the visual reporting points that the tower uses; a detailed airport surface map showing taxiways, FBOs, transient parking and fuel islands; and a full listing of services offered by each FBO. Each non-tower airport has a half page with similar comprehensive detail. Combining our best-selling book format with the enhanced features of the App has created a VFR resource that is second to none.
● Sharp, crystal clear display of your familiar Pilots Guide pages.
● Pages are loaded into the device for full access without requiring an internet connection.
● View METAR and TAF weather data for your current location, or the airport you are viewing.
● List nearest airports; either nearest to your current location or nearest to the airport you are viewing.
● Automatic query of our Additional Changes database to display the latest information, updated daily.
● Add Bookmarks and your own notes to any page for future reference.
● On-page screen dimmer for easy viewing at night or in low-light without having to leave the App to adjust the brightness.
● Fully searchable by any word or text string.
● Add and remove highlights to any text in the Guide.
● Automatically or manually check for updates to download revised pages.
● Data Plans available for the Western U.S. Choose California, Northwest or Southwest, or any combination of the three regions.
● Data Plans are valid for use on one iPad AND one iPhone or iPod Touch.
● Data Plans are easily transferred to another like device.
● Includes comprehensive Users Guide.
● Outstanding Customer Service from Optima Publications, LLC.
Seven Data Plans cover the eleven western States in the same regional coverage as our print version of Pilots Guide: Pilots Guide to California Airports, Pilots Guide to Northwestern Airports (ID, MT, OR, WA, WY), Pilots Guide to Southwestern Airports (AZ, CO, NV, NM, UT) or any combination of those regions.
Data Plans are valid for a period of one year, beginning on the date the Data Plan is associated to the first device.
The same Data plan may be used on one iPad AND one iPhone/iPod touch, and may be transferred to other like iOS devices.
- Fixed In-App purchase issue.
- Fixed minor bugs
Ratings and Reviews
A Cornucopia of pertient data!
The Pilots Guide IMHO is the best guide a Pilot could ask for when it comes to planning a Flight! The Approach & Departure notes are a tremendous insight to a new airport. The diagrams, photos & all other pertinent data are outstanding. I have been a customer for 8 years & transitioned from paper to IPAD app. I am just happy I live in the West so I benefit from such a great Guide. In addition Chris Fouquet is always responsive & helpful with customer service & technical Support!
I have been using the California Pilots Guide for more than 4 years. It is a great concept and the information it provides is unique. This started out as a published document that was converted into an application. Unfortunately it is not in a format that can be updated or the publishers are not investing the effort into updating it. Updates are in the crude form of an errata list. In addition, updates are only being made infrequently, twice a year. This really is not much more than a historic point in time view of airport information that is destined to a slow spiral into obsolescence.
This app Is no longer supported. Don't buy the data plans.
I have used Pilots Guide for 35 years, first as a paper book, more recently as an app. I liked it and recommended it, but no more. The company has ceased making updates to the data. Phone calls and emails go unanswered.
There are free apps such as FltPlan Go and (if you are a member) AOPA Go that provide much of the same information (and for the entire. And the major Electronic Flight Bag (EFB) apps such as Garmin Pilot and FlyQ also include it. Just don't waste your money on Pilots Guide. It is defunct and should be pulled from the App Store.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.