Pinyin Trainer by trainchinese
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Master the sounds of Mandarin Chinese with ease!
No matter if you're a beginner or a long-time student of Chinese, its tonal nature can catch you out and even cause some serious embarrassment...
Pinyin Trainer will help you master those tones using Pinyin, the standard romanization system for Mandarin Chinese. With almost 2,000 individual audio recordings and a variety of question-and-answer methods, it'll keep you on your toes and improve your Chinese listening skills like nothing else. Plus, it's got a complete guide to reading Chinese with the Pinyin system built right in.
- Score by tapping the words that you hear
- Train both Chinese tones and Pinyin "initials" sounds, to help you distinguish between commonly-confused words
- Integrates with our Chinese-English dictionary to provide potential definitions for Pinyin words
- In tone sketching mode, answer tone questions by drawing Pinyin tones with your fingers!
- Almost 2,000 high quality original audio recordings
- Free guide to reading Pinyin, with a complete index of one-syllable Chinese sounds
What's New in Version 4.0
- iOS 7 UI compatibility
- Look up Pinyin words in Chinese-English dictionary
- Bug fixes
Good for tones
There are limits to how well the audio on an iPhone can reproduce high-pitched initial sounds, so I don't know if it is helping me recognize things like q and c. But it is really improving my ability to recognize tones, especially the tone when I hear two syllables back-to-back. When I started using this app, I was not doing much better than I could just by guessing, but gradually I am becoming able to recognize particular combinations. It is training my ear at an age when I need all the help I can get.
Prepare to buy the full version! This is awesome!
You all have got to give this app a try. You have nothing to lose. I was unsure if this app would be up to par given the plethora of crappy Mandarin learning apps on the App Store. I was blown away. This app is phenomenal. Love at first sight!
Grateful for this app which initially reveals I'm right where I know I'm at. I am sure with practice I will develop my ability to recognize the sounds better.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Oct 10, 2013
- Version: 4.0
- Size: 12.3 MB
- Languages: English, Russian, Spanish
- Seller: Molatra Limited
- © 2011 Molatra Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Pinyin Tutor Upgrade$2.99