Learning Chinese is no longer ridiculously complicated. PinYinPal teaches players to read,
recognize, and define Mandarin characters in a fun, simple game.
Pinyin uses letters of the alphabet to spell out traditional Mandarin characters. Challenge your
friends to a match by strategically placing your tiles on the board and score the most points. Get
more points for correctly identifying the character and definition of the word you just played.
(And lose points if you don’t!) Helpful tools, such as an interactive dictionary, enable you to be a
competitive opponent from the first move without any previous knowledge of Mandarin.
It’s an exciting game for both native and novice speakers. Over 1 billion people speak and read
Mandarin Chinese. Aren’t you ready to be one of them?
- Truly free app.
- View the Mandarin characters during gameplay with the tap of a button.
- Chat with friends in Chinese characters or in English.
- Word Finder feature helps you find your next word based on the letters you have in your queue.
- Dictionary feature lets you find the meaning of the word you or your opponent played, look up the Pinyin translation for Chinese into English, and hear the pronunciation of each word.
- Find friends to challenge on Facebook. Share your high scores with all of your
Available for the iPad and iPhone.
Updated store screenshots.
Ratings and Reviews
I've always wanted to learn Chinese! This app is not only fun but very educational. What I think is another amazing aspect of the app is that players get to earn extra points with the amount of correct chinese characters they can identify.
No multi syllable words?
I was very excited about this game. Until... I went to play the word wèntí which means "problem". Then I realized there is a big wèntí, you cannot play multi-syllable words. Yikes. Neither can you add onto another player's word with more syllables. Jiéguǒ, you cannot use the most common words. Add these features and you have got an awesome app.
I love all the little details in this game.... the dictionary and quizzes make it way more helpful I feel like I'm actually learning. I hope a lot of teachers use this game with their students! They really should!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.