By Pixelmator Team
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Pixelmator Pro is an incredibly powerful, beautiful, and easy to use image editor designed exclusively for Mac.
With a wide range of professional-grade, nondestructive image editing tools, Pixelmator Pro lets you bring out the best in your photos, create gorgeous compositions and designs, draw, paint, apply stunning effects, design beautiful text, and edit images in just about any way you can imagine. And thanks to its intuitive and accessible design, Pixelmator Pro is delightfully easy to use — whether you’re just starting out with image editing or you’re a seasoned pro.
• The modern, single-window interface is designed exclusively for working with images on a Mac
• An intuitive and accessible design makes it easy for anyone to edit images — from complete beginners to design professionals
• Enhance your existing images and create new ones using every image editing tool you could ever need
• Edit nondestructively, adjusting individual changes whenever you like
• Easily move, resize, and arrange objects to create stunning compositions
• Adjust the colors in images with a collection of nondestructive color adjustments
• Enjoy superior support for RAW files, editing RAW images right inside Pixelmator Pro without having to preprocess them
• Create digital or traditional paintings using a collection of handcrafted, fully-customizable, dual-texture brushes with full support for digital graphics tablets
• Combine the built-in effects in Pixelmator Pro to create any artistic or special effects you can imagine
• Nondestructively customize the look of layers in your image using layer styles
• Save the adjustment, effect, and layer style combinations your create, use them in any of your images, and share them with others
• Magically remove small imperfections or entire objects, seamlessly clone parts of your photos, lighten or darken precise areas, and more using a full set of retouching tools
• Use the reshaping tools to easily change the shape of any object or area in your images, create striking artistic effects or make subtle changes to portrait photos
• Pick out and edit precise parts of your images or copy objects from one image to another using a range of pixel-accurate selection tools
• Add high-quality, customizable vector graphics designed by the Pixelmator Team
• Create your own vector graphics using the Pen and Freeform Pen tools
• Easily design great-looking text with a full set of typography tools
Image Editing Enhanced by Machine Learning
• Automatically give descriptive names to the layers you add
• Intelligently straighten images using horizon detection
• Magically remove objects, recreating image areas with stunning realism
• Quickly make accurate selections with ease
• Open and edit images in all the most popular image formats, including JPEG, TIFF, PNG, PSD, PDF, GIF, BMP, TGA, JPG-2000
• Open and edit Photoshop images with layers
• Import HEIF images
• Launch Pixelmator Pro directly from the Photos app and save edits back to the original image in your library
• Share your images to the Photos app, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, and other locations right from Pixelmator Pro
Built Exclusively for Mac
Designed exclusively for macOS, Pixelmator Pro supports almost every major macOS feature and integrates seamlessly with macOS High Sierra. Simply put, it's the ultimate Mac app. With a design that is totally and completely Mac, Pixelmator Pro feels instantly familiar from the moment you first launch the app.
Minimum System Requirements
Pixelmator Pro requires a Mac compatible with Metal 2 running macOS 10.13 High Sierra.
What's New in Version 1.0.5
This update includes a number of performance improvements and bug fixes.
• The speed of the painting tools has been improved — your first brushstroke should now be much faster.
• You can now import brushes from the original Pixelmator.
• When you drag and drop a layer to add it your image, it will now be added above your selected layer and not at the top of the layer stack.
• You can now export images to JPEG-2000 format.
• Fixed a number of cases that would make Pixelmator Pro stop responding when using the painting tools.
• You can now use the Command-J and Command-Shift-J keyboard shortcuts to copy/cut and paste selections as layers.
• Graphical artifacts would sometimes appear after repairing with the Repair tool. Fixed.
• When reverting to an earlier version of your image, the background color would sometimes be incorrect. Fixed.
• The colors of images exported to PSD would be incorrect when opened in Final Cut Pro X. Fixed.
• The horizontal edges of objects would snap to the grid incorrectly. Fixed.
• When flipping an object, its position will now be preserved more accurately.
• Merged layers will now be named after the top layer.
• Various fixes improve dragging and dropping shapes and paths.
• The option in Pixelmator Pro preferences for importing images or opening in the native format is now much more descriptive.
• Pixelmator Pro would sometimes stop responding when changing the color of a text layer. Fixed.
• Pixelmator Pro would sometimes stop responding when quickly switching to and from the Crop tool. Fixed.
• Pixelmator Pro would sometimes stop responding when resetting a selection. Fixed.
• Several related fixes make Pixelmator Pro less likely to quit unexpectedly.
Think you've found a bug? Please let us know by dropping an email to email@example.com and we'll fix it.
Getteing better with updates!
I like the design of the app and it simpicity. UX Designers did a great Job!
But, unfortunately tech side is weak. It frozen my Mac several times.
I hope devs can improve it soon!
In my first review I mentioned a feature request and that feature has been added, thanks!! On all of my recent projects, I have been able to jump right into Pixelmator Pro, and I haven’t used Photoshop CS6 in a week. After using the trial from their website for about 10 minutes, I immediately purchased Pixelmator Pro on launch day. I worked on two projects:
First I opened up a photograph and put the main subject on its own layer by using the quick select tool… I then used the clone tool to remove unwanted objects in the background. I then played around with the effects on the background to blur and adjust the levels. The immediate feedback/preview is amazing. I like seeing the realtime gradient tool too.
The second project was for work and something I do more often. I took an iPhone screenshot and did routine editing… copied elements into their own layers, imported stock images, masked the images, used the shapes tool to create new interface elements, added text on several layers, and filled in selections. On Pixelmator Pro it was easy to accommodate my Photoshop habits, unlike the regular Pixelmator. I exported the image and it worked just fine for my documentation. Pixelmator Pro has been updated several times and I haven’t had any crashes since day 1.
You can now add new layers from selections like in Photoshop! Command-J and Command-Shift-J so that’s awesome. I would still like to see some way of knowing the foreground color before I press Command-Delete to fill a selection. So if you make a selection, and you want to fill it in, you press Command-Delete, but the color is under the Color Fill tool.
A “pro” version that is missing features from the classic/regular version.
I’ve used Pixelmator Classic* extensively in my personal and professional work, and I had been waiting for Pixelmator Pro since the very first teaser, so I purchased it the moment I knew it was available. In its current state, it is very promising, but bit of a letdown. My impressions so far, updated for 1.0.5:
• The single-window UI is a major leap forward, and fits in with current Mac paradigms much better than Classic.
• The non-destructive Effects and Styles are very fluid and responsive; a joy to work with. However, there seems to be no way to “flatten” effects to make them permanent and non-editable, unless when you convert a Shape to Pixels, which you can do only once.
• Cannot create Clipping Masks as in Classic, and cannot add shapes to masks.
• There are document templates for app icon sizes but not for iOS device dimensions. Why?
• Cannot right-/control-click on a layer in the sidebar to “Convert into Pixels” etc. Why remove that from the context menu when Classic has it? I suppose Pro wants us to not worry about the distinction between Shapes and Pixels.
• The toolbars cannot be customized, unlike Classic or even the most basic Mac apps. sigh..
• Pro is missing many of the preset Styles, Gradients and Effects that Classic has. There seems to be no way to import them either, so I had to create a document in Classic with a bunch of layers each with a different style and gradient, loaded that document in Pro, clicked on each layer, and clicked on +Add for every style and gradient. Very cumbersome! I don’t know if this has been rectified since 1.0.2, as I would have to test on a fresh installation.
• Speaking of selection, another cumbersome annoyance is that you can’t select different layers by clicking on their contnet in the canvas, while the Colors Adjustments or Effects tool is active, because the mouse cursor remains in the Hand panning mode. You have to click on a layer in the sidebar list. This problem does not happen with the Type tool.
• A very minor nitpick: Menus are misorganized; commands that ought to be under Format, are under Tools, and so on.
• There should be an option for colorful toolbar icons. It’s hard to tell them apart in monochrome! Guys, “pro” does not have to be a synonym for “dull and boring.” The current UI feels sterile and depressing.
I know that this app will only improve over time; the Pixelmator developers are awesome for all the free updates they provide for their products. As it stands now, I still have to go back into Classic to perform certain tasks and effects. Pixelmator Pro has felt like a paid beta test so far, but it’s getting updates very rapidly. I’ve upgraded my rating from 3 stars to 4 after trying 1.0.5. Personally, I wouldn’t even mind paying more for this app, but only after it delivers on all of its promises and fixes the issues above.
* I refer to the non-“Pro” version of Pixelmator as “Classic” in this review.
- Category: Graphics & Design
- Updated: Dec 15, 2017
- Version: 1.0.5
- Size: 95.9 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: UAB Pixelmator Team
- © 2017 Pixelmator Team
Compatibility: macOS 10.13 or later, 64-bit processor