By Pixelmator Team
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Full-featured and powerful image editing app for the Mac.
Pixelmator takes full advantage of the latest Mac features and technologies, giving you speedy, powerful tools that let you touch up and enhance images, draw or paint, apply dazzling effects, or create advanced compositions with ease. Once your images are ready, save them to popular image formats, share them via email or social networks, print them, or instantly add them to your Photos library. All right from Pixelmator.
The new Pixelmator 3.6 Cordillera is designed to integrate seamlessly with macOS Sierra’s fresh and modern look, macOS Continuity features, like Handoff and iCloud Drive, and it works wonderfully together with Pixelmator for iOS.
A powerful, pixel-accurate collection of selection tools
• Quickly and easily select any part of an image
• Edit and apply special effects to parts of your pictures
• Select and remove unwanted elements of your photos
• Cut out objects from one image to place in another
Top-notch painting tools
• Paint with Pixelmator as you would on canvas
• Use different brush sizes, shapes, hardness, and blending modes
• Adjust brush settings to get just the look you want
• Cover any area with beautiful gradients and color fills
• Correct wrinkles and repair scratches
• Make flaws vanish from your photos, remove or re-arrange objects in a composition
• Blur, sharpen, lighten, or darken specific areas
• Reshape areas to subtly improve or give images a completely unexpected look
• Combine different tools and effects for an endless number of ways to refine your images
• Easily add, create, combine, and edit shapes
• Quickly add lines, circles, rectangles, polygons, and many more custom shapes
• Effortlessly apply shadows, fills, and strokes for more advanced shapes
• Create buttons, icons, web page elements, illustrations, and much more
A real effects machine
• Play with over 160 breathtaking effects
• Combine different effects for unique, near-effortless artistic creations
• See stunning results in real-time
An elegant collection of professional-grade color correction tools
• Adjust exposure, hue, saturation, shadows and highlights, brightness, contrast, and much more
• Replace and remix colors
• Dramatically improve less-than-perfect images with one click
• Designed with friendly interface features for intuitive ease of use
• Easily add non-destructive layer effects like shadows, outlines, color, gradient fills, or reflections
• Combine a set of effects to create and save your own unique layer styles presets
• Or just use any of the Pixelmator Team-designed layer styles presets
• Apply any of the layer styles presets with a drag and drop
• Send your images directly to Photos
• Open and save images using PSD, TIFF, JPEG, PNG, PDF, and many other popular formats
• Open and save Photoshop images with layers
• Open and save 16-bits per channel images
iCloud, sharing, and saving for the web
• Let iCloud automatically store your edited images and seamlessly take your work to all your Macs
• Skip manual saving of your documents thanks to Auto Save
• Email your photos right from Pixelmator
• Publish your images to social applications like Flickr, Twitter, and Facebook
• Optimize and save images for use on your web pages, blogs, photo albums, and more
Editing extensions for the Photos app:
• Retouch photos with powerful Pixelmator Retouch tools right inside the Photos app
• Reshape images with Metal-based Pixelmator Distort tools without leaving Photos
Built exclusively for Mac
Pixelmator uses a number of macOS features and technologies like Cocoa, OpenGL, OpenCL, Core Image, Grand Central Dispatch, 64-bit, FaceTime camera, Automator, Full-Screen, built-in Sharing and much more. And Pixelmator’s beautiful interface and image editing engine are fully optimized for the MacBook Pro with Retina display.
Apple Design Award Winner
Best of Mac App Store 2011: App of the Year 2011
What's New in Version 3.6
Pixelmator 3.6 Cordillera brings full support for macOS Sierra and the all-new MacBook Pro Touch Bar, adds Tabs, includes a content-aware Smart Refine feature, Deep Images support, and more.
• Pixelmator is now fully compatible with macOS Sierra.
• The Touch Bar keeps your favorite Pixelmator tools and the most useful options always at hand.
• Use Tabs to easily manage your Pixelmator windows.
• The new Smart Refine feature lets you instantly improve selections with stunning accuracy and speed.
• Support for Deep Images makes colors in 16-bit images more vibrant and true-to-life on Wide Color displays.
• Set the most useful tool options for your selected tool right in the Touch Bar.
• The Touch Bar is customizable, so you can choose exactly which tools you’d like to keep in it.
• Use the Touch Bar to change color, alignment, and other text properties.
• When previewing effects or adjustments, a Show Original button lets you take a peek at the original image.
• Use Rotate and Scale sliders to transform layers.
• And do a lot more!
• Quickly drag and drop layers between documents in different tabs.
• Merge all your Pixelmator windows into a single one by choosing Window > Merge All Windows.
• Close all tabs except the current one by Option-clicking the Close button of the tab you’re in.
• New images open in a new tab according to your preferences in System Preferences > Dock – either Always, In Full Screen Only, or Manually.
• If your tab preferences are set to In Full Screen Only or Manually, hold down the Option key when opening or creating new documents to open them in a new tab.
New features and other gems in macOS Sierra:
• With support for the Universal Clipboard, you can now seamlessly copy images and text between Pixelmator on your Mac and iOS devices.
• Precisely align windows and palettes by moving them close to each other.
• Double-click the edge of a window to automatically expand that edge.
Smart Refine and Refine Selection:
• Using an advanced edge-detection algorithm, Smart Refine precisely snaps your existing selection to object edges in your image.
• Customize just how edge-sensitive Smart Refine is using the Edge Detection slider in the Refine Selection dialog.
• You can now edit your selection while the Refine Selection dialog is open – paint to subtract from your selection, hold down the Option key and paint to add to your selection.
• Use the [ and ] keys to change the size of the selection brush.
• With support for P3 color and Wide Color displays, all 16-bit images on the new MacBook Pro, iMac with Retina 4K display, and iMac with Retina 5K display look more vibrant and true to life.
• 16-bit images also look better on standard displays, as dithering is applied to subtly smooth gradients and remove visible banding.
• Dithering is also applied when reducing the color depth of an image from 16 bits to 8 bits.
Quick Selection improvements:
• The Quick Selection Tool now has a live preview.
• It’s also much faster, thanks to a faster algorithm.
• And it’s more accurate, too – especially with black and white images.
Lacks some essentials
I like to create artwork rom scratch and have all of the major programs (like Phosotshop, Illustrator, Painter, Sketchbook Pro and Pixelmator). I like the simplicity of the Pixelmator interface (unlike the unintuitive and exhaustive Photoshop user interface), but Pixelmator lacks 2 VERY essential tools: a decent airbrush tool and a way to create a mask (frisket) to airbrush into “clean areas” (think traditional airbrush work using cut frisket film). Photoshop makes this cumbersome and while Sketchbook Pro is perhaps the most natural and “lifelike” product to use, it also lacks a way to create a “frisket” or mask (Painter was once a decent program but has gone the route of Photoshop and has so many features it requires classes to use). Pixelmator has promise, but needs to add these essential features. I will also say the folks at Pixelmator respond to questions and I am rooting for them to create a new version for artists (and some new tutorials).
Best image editor
Been a long time fan of Pixelmater for many versions, and it just keeps getting better. I had been an Adobe Photoshop user for many years and I was getting tired of forking over big $$$$ for each new version, then came along PixelMator. I gave it a try and while in the early days it was not necessarily a 100% replacement, it was outstanding at what it did. From then on I was a convert and happy I did. Pixelmator has improved greatly since then and continues to improve with each version so much so that I don’t miss photoshop at all. Great Job Pixelmator!!!
A very good App. Not perfect, but very good
I have an old hard drive with Adobe Photoshop installed that I purchased years ago that I have kept around because now Adobe wants a monthly subscription. When I use PS it is heavy use for a few days and then I might not open the program for months. After years of lugging the old disk with PS installed on it I decided to purchase Pixlemator after experimenting with the free trial. While it is not PS, it is very usable, does most of what I need, and from other reviews it sounds like it keeps getting better and better. I just reformatted the old drive with PS on it and do not regret doing so.