By Pixelmator Team
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Full-featured and powerful image editing app for the Mac.
Pixelmator takes full advantage of the latest Mac technologies, giving you speedy, powerful tools that let you touch up and enhance images, draw or paint, apply dazzling effects, or create advanced compositions amazingly simple. Once your images are ready, access them anywhere with iCloud, send them to iPhoto or Aperture, email, print, share, or save them to popular image formats–all right from Pixelmator.
And, the new Pixelmator 3.4 is redesigned to cohere with OS X El Capitan’s fresh and modern look, brings new OS X Continuity features, like Handoff and iCloud Drive support, and works wonderfully together with Pixelmator for iOS.
A powerful, pixel-accurate collection of selection tools
• Quickly and easily select any part of an image
• Edit and apply special effects to portions of your pictures
• Select and remove unwanted elements of your photos
• Cut out objects from one image to place in another
Top-notch painting tools
• Paint with Pixelmator as you would on canvas
• Use different brush sizes, shapes, hardness, and blending modes
• Adjust brush settings to get just the look you want
• Cover any area with beautiful gradients and color fills
• Correct wrinkles and repair scratches
• Make flaws vanish from your photos, remove or re-arrange objects in a composition
• Blur, sharpen, lighten, or darken specific areas
• Get rid of the red eye effect with just one click
• Distort or transform to subtly improve or give images a completely unexpected look.
• Combine different tools and effects for an endless number of ways to refine your images
• Easily add, create, combine, and edit shapes
• Quickly add lines, circles, rectangles, polygons, and many more custom shapes
• Effortlessly apply shadows, fills, and strokes for more advanced shapes
• Create buttons, icons, web page elements, illustrations, and much more
A real effects machine
• Over 160 different breathtaking effects you can play with
• Combine different effects for unique, near-effortless artistic creations
• See stunning results in real-time
An elegant collection of professional-grade color correction tools
• Adjust exposure, hue, saturation, shadows and highlights, brightness, contrast, and much more
• Replace and remix colors
• Dramatically improve less-than-perfect images with one click
• Designed with friendly interface features for intuitive ease of use
• Easily add non-destructive layer effects like shadows, outlines, color, gradient fills, or reflections
• Combine a set of effects to create and save your own unique layer styles presets
• Or just use any of the Pixelmator Team-designed layer styles presets
• Applying any of the layer styles presets is as simple as drag and drop
• Send your images directly to iPhoto or Aperture
• Open and save images using PSD, TIFF, JPEG, PNG, PDF, and many other popular formats
• Open and save Photoshop images with layers
• Open and save 16-bits per channel images
iCloud, sharing, and saving for the web
• Let iCloud automatically store your edited images and seamlessly take your work to all your Macs
• You can completely skip manual saving of your documents thanks to Auto Save
• Email your photos right from Pixelmator
• Publish your images to social applications like Flickr, Twitter, and Facebook
• Optimize and save images for use on your web pages, blogs, photo albums, and more
Built exclusively for Mac
Pixelmator uses a number of OS X features and technologies like Cocoa, OpenGL, OpenCL, Core Image, Grand Central Dispatch, 64-bit, FaceTime camera, Automator, Full-Screen, built-in Sharing and much more. And Pixelmator’s beautiful interface and image editing engine are fully optimized for the Macbook Pro with Retina display.
Apple Design Award Winner
Best of Mac App Store 2011: App of the Year 2011
What's New in Version 3.4
Pixelmator 3.4 Twist adds support for OS X El Capitan, multitasking via Split View, a new Photos Extension with powerful Distort tools, and more.
• Pixelmator now works great on OS X El Capitan.
• The new Pixelmator Photos Extension brings powerful, Metal-based Distort tools to your Photos app.
• Split View lets you use Pixelmator and any other app side-by-side in full screen.
• Enhanced Force Touch support makes painting with Force Touch trackpad even smoother.
• San Francisco is the new user interface font.
• Other improvements and fixes.
One of the best
Made specifically for the Mac (and now iOS), Pixelmator is among the best experiences you will have on a Mac. All the menus are consistent with the OS, so it feels like it was made by Apple themselves. All the tools will be familiar to anyone who has used Photoshop, and while some other features work a bit differently, usually the Pixelmator way is faster and easier.
I note some negative reviews, stating the app doesn’t work well on El Capitan. Actually, since Pixelmator is built on the very framework of OSX, including Metal, and El Capitan changed the Core Image technology for OSX, this required a complete rewrite of Pixelmator. They did this, and it was released just a few days after El Capitan, which explains the negative comments in the interim. After the update, it works as well as ever.
This leads us to a few comments about the Pixelmator team. Note that they did a complete rewrite of the application to follow the changes in El Capitan, yet did not charge anything for users to upgrade to the new version. Many other apps would charge the complete regular fee again, such as Acorn did recently. These guys did all that work for free.
Also note that the website has many short and simple tutorial videos, which will get you up and running in no time.
I find the entire experience joyful, and I think you should give it a try.
It’s been over a month or so that I have upgraded to El Capitan and still this is not fixed yet. I have tried putting up with the lagginess and freezing screen, but it is seriously frustrating. I have to restart during the middle of edits and all the effects takes 1-2 minutes to show up even with just a simple repair tool. I know it takes time but there are so many people who still have the 2011 Macs using this. I’m not going to get a new laptop when mine works perfectly fine.
I had a simliar problem before where the edits didn’t show up properly and gave me a blank edit and I emailed them. They emailed back to say it is because of my computer. Nothing is wrong with theirs. Everytime something is wrong, it is because my computer cannot handle the resolution and now this…So that means they only make it compatible for newer models? Nothing can be made for those who are not willing to upgrade to a current mac?
update = sloooooow and crash city
The previous version was running pretty well and I was quite happy with it. This update introduced really, really, really slow responsiveness and very frequent crashes. It’s almost unusable, or completely unusable, depending on how much extra time it’s going to take to do the simplest things, how well you can handle the frustration of frequent crashes, loosing the last several minutes worth of work, and really, really slow responsivity. Not sure how some people are having a good experience and the rest of us are stuck with something that no quality control team worthy of employing would ever approve. My hardware isn’t the latest, greatest, but this app used to run silky smooth, most of my apps run pretty snappy, and now it’s a terrible experience. I wish there was a way to revert back to the previous version when updates like this happen.