A comprehensive glossary of terms and definitions related to plate tectonics with visuals that include illustrations, animations, photos, and videos. Using a 3D globe with surface maps that show Earth’s geologic features, terms are related to the features that are a direct result of the motion of tectonic plates. View terms and definitions from a searchable list or click an icon in the list to go to its specific location on the globe.
The app provides a visual experience that encourages discovery by exploration of Earth’s surface. See how changes in plate boundaries cause earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountain building. Select an alternate surface map that shows the sizes and shapes of the major tectonic plates or a map that illustrates the age of the ocean floor. Control the visibility of overlays for plate boundaries, map labels, term icons, and a coordinate grid. Another overlay shows major earthquakes since 1900 which graphically illustrates activity at plate boundaries. Or, just turn off all overlays and explore Earth’s surface.
• Surface maps illustrate Earth’s physiographic features, plate shapes, or the age of the oceanic lithosphere
• Overlays for: plate boundaries, map labels, terms at geographic locations, a latitude/longitude grid, and major earthquakes since 1900
• approximately 240 terms and geographic locations with definitions and descriptions
• most definitions have illustrations, animations, or photos
• locations have descriptive text and spin the globe to show the location on Earth
• definitions provide links to related terms
• simple, intuitive user interface: drag, pinch, tap
• universal app
• optimized for large screens, supports all screen sizes and orientations
• supports side-by-side split-view
• no internet connection required
Correlates to Next Generation Science Standards for Earth Science:
ESS2.A: Earth Materials and Systems
ESS2.B: Plate Tectonics and Large-Scale System Interactions
ESS3.B: Natural Hazards
ESS1.C: The History of Planet Earth
Supports inquiry-based learning about plate tectonics by providing an exploration of Earth that illustrates the relationship between surface features and plate tectonics. The definitions aid students when writing about or discussing the interaction of Earth’s tectonic plates, earthquakes, and volcanoes. The app encourages higher-order thinking skills by displaying data (historical earthquakes, age of the oceans, volcano locations) that requires analysis, supports the formulation of theories, and tests those theories.
Ratings and Reviews
A Must For Fieldwork
This app has saved me from a number of mistakes when I was writing up notes. It’s great to be able to recheck a term before writing it down in my smooth (final version) notebook. Using the wrong word is acceptable in the rough (on site) notebook. By using the app to correct my text I can insure a good grade on my notebook.
This app also helps build my vocabulary and refine my understanding of difficult concepts. I recommend it and I am buying all the Tasa titles one by one.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.