play:Sub Music Streamer plays music from your Subsonic server to your iPhone, iPad, iPod, Chromecast device or Subsonic Jukebox.
Enjoy your music everywhere, anytime, in the quality you decide!
play:Sub supports playback of most audio formats like FLAC, MP3, AAC and more.
Lossless and gapless playback is supported, as well as crossfading between tracks.
Use the 10-band fully customizable equalizer to get the right sound.
The equalizer has presets for common genres and scenarios.
Apply crossfade and replay-gain for the perfect listening experience.
Browse your music your way, be it by folder, artist or album.
Control playback using gestures, buttons or remote controlled from you headset.
Play on anything: builtin speaker, headphones, Bluetooth connected headphones/amp/speaker/car-stereo or AirPlay devices.
play:Sub streams your music over any connection, and caches songs for when connectivity is bad.
Played songs are cached automatically, and you can manually cache individual songs or entire folders, artists or albums.
• Dark and light UI themes
• Full orientation support, incl. iPad multitasking support.
• FLAC, AAC, ALAC, MP3, MP4, OGG, WAV, AIFF and more
• Plays most audio formats without transcoding
• WMA using transcoding to MP3
• Lossless playback without transcoding
• Gapless playback
• 10-band equalizer
• Replay Gain / Volume Normalization.
• HI-rez digital output up to 24bit / 192 kHz supported.
• Phone, iPad or iPod.
• Artist radio.
• Artit top songs
• Similar artists
• Be inspired by random artist, album or songs
• Play random songs in a genre.
BROWSE YOUR MUSIC ANY WAY YOU LIKE IT
• Artists, Albums, Songs
• Playlists, Favorites, Genres
• Podcasts, Audiobooks, Bookmarks
• Create, update and delete playlists
• Re-order playlist tracks
• Personal and shared playlists
• Cache complete playlists to device
• Full playlist support in both online and offline mode
• Playlist changes are synced at first chance
• Starring of artists, albums, tracks and folders
• Starring works in both online and offline mode
• Items starred when offline is synced at first chance
• Easily filter lists for starred content
• View All, Random or Starred albums from a genre
• View Random or Starred songs from a genre
CONTEXT MENU EVERYWHERE
• Long-press any item to show relevant actions
• Easily navigate between associated artist, album, tracks and folders
• Add tracks, albums, artists or folders to playlists
• View and manage caching
• Swipe-to-reveal shortcuts
• Access different views by tapping the list title
• Automatic caching of played tracks, pre-cache upcoming tracks
• Manually cache selected folders, artists, albums or tracks
• Configurable cache parameters
• Upgrade cached audio to better bitrate when available
SEAMLESS OFFLINE MODE
• Play cached music when connectivity is bad
• Show only cached content
• Same user interface in online and offline mode
• AirPlay, Bluetooth, remote control, lock screen & control center integration
• Support iOS’ sleep timer
• Resumes music after being interrupted by phone calls
• Background downloads
• SSL, self-signed certificates
• Secure authentication for Subsonic 5.3+ servers
• Connection dependent bitrate; bitrate settings for cellular and wifi, override settings for slow/fast WiFi networks
• Scrobbles to last.fm if configured on the server.
• Updates Now Playing on the server.
• Updates server-playcounts when playing cached content.
• Music played while offline is scrobbled when online again.
NOTE: a licensed installation of Subsonic 4.8 or higher is required.
Some features need a higher Subsonic server version (Top Songs, Artist Radio, Similar Artists, Last.fm Imagery, Album Info)
Hi-rez audio, replay gain, audio enhancements.
● HI-REZ AUDIO ●
HI-rez digital output up to 24bit / 192 kHz supported.
● REPLAY GAIN / VOLUME NORMALIZATION ●
Volume normalization is now supported; track and/or album gain can now be applied intelligently to the playqueue.
● EQUALIZER ENHANCEMENTS ●
Equalizers now have preamp gain, making it easier to match volume level across different equalizers.
When editing equalizers, changes are applied immidiately to the playing audio, making it easier to get the right sound.
● CROSSFADE ENHANCEMENTS ●
Crossfade just became way more flexible with criteria for when crossfade should be active: Always, Shuffle and Auto.
Automatic crossfade mode will crossfade tracks that are not from the same album,
making it possible to automatically crossfade shuffled or mixed play queues, and switch to gapless mode automatically when playing albums.
● USER INTERFACE ENHANCEMENTS ●
The user interface has been reworked and enhanced in a lot of small and big ways:
New black theme.
play:Sub now sports a miniplayer for quick access to play, pause and skipping.
The player screen now integrates the playqueue and information screens; swipe left/right to access.
● The content of the app is now configurable, and you can hide the parts that is not relevant for you.
● Set the default listtype in all sections of the app.
● Set the text-size and artwork size.
● BUGFIXES AND TWEAKS ●
Fixed issues related to caching.
Fixed Chromecast issues.
Fixed Offline mode was not always respected.
Fixed Streaming robustness increased when connection drops due to connectivity issues.
Fixed Large podcast collections never load.
Fixed play queue now shows in playback order when shuffle is ON.
Fixed offline mode was not properly set when connectivity was fine, but server was down.
Fixed a problem with detecting the amount of free space, which was affecting cache size settings.
Fixed (1.9.1) Layout issue on plus-sized phones in landscape mode.
Fixed (1.9.1) Calculation of max size limit for cache.
Fixed (1.9.1) Temporary playlists were not properly cleaned up.
New (1.9.2) You can now use the playqueue as a tab.
Fixed (1.9.2) Genres with a large number of tracks would show a wrong number of tracks.
Fixed (1.9.2) Resuming first chapter of an audiobook started from the beginning of the chapter instead of resuming where you left off.
For feature requests or issues:
please use the in-app form (play:Sub | Feedback),
or the contact form on http://michaelsapps.dk
Ratings and Reviews
Now the best subsonic client for iOS
I was an iSub user for many years. When version 1.8 of Play:Sub came out, I found myself splitting my time between the two apps. Version 1.9 (July 2018) has changed all that: Play:Sub is the only client for me now. Why? The power of the interface. It’s very flexible for things like adding tracks to a currently playing queue. Basically, unlike iSub (which is no longer in active development) the interface feels current and doesn’t get in your way. Add in features unique to this client like Artist Radio (plays songs from artists related to the current one) and you’ve got a winner.
Please give us cast options and CarPlay
I would pay extra to be able to use “cast” to capable Wi-Fi devices...this functionality is in the Google Chrome version of the web interface in the play bar, a lot of apps do this now and it would be awesome to have. I would also like to request that we get a true car play interface. This app is phenomenal please keep up the excellent work in developing!
Support for Google Cast is coming in the next version (soon).
As for CarPlay: it's on the list of candidate things to add to play:Sub, and CarPlay is getting requested more and more.
Great client so far!
I’ve been using iSub for 7 years and play:Sub is the first viable alternative I’ve found (iSub isn’t being developed anymore).
I’m still getting used to the interface, but it’s well organized, easy to use, and does everything iSub did.
Being able to browse by folders as well as tags gives you flexibility for organizing your music.
The developer is very quick and helpful with questions!
- Michael Hansen
- 26.4 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Danish, German
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2015-2017 Michael Bech Hansen
- In-App Purchases
- Track Tip $1.99
- EP Tip $3.99
- Album Tip $8.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.