play:Sub Music Streamer plays music from your Subsonic server to your iPhone, iPad, iPod, Chromecast device or Subsonic Jukebox.
Enjoy your music everywhere, anytime, in the quality you decide!
play:Sub supports playback of most audio formats like FLAC, MP3, AAC and more.
Lossless and gapless playback is supported, as well as crossfading between tracks.
Use the 10-band fully customizable equalizer to get the right sound.
The equalizer has presets for common genres and scenarios.
Apply crossfade and replay-gain for the perfect listening experience.
Browse your music your way, be it by folder, artist, album, decade.
Control playback using gestures, buttons or remote controlled from you headset.
Play on anything: builtin speaker, headphones, Bluetooth connected headphones/amp/speaker/car-stereo or AirPlay devices.
play:Sub streams your music over any connection, and caches songs for when connectivity is bad.
Played songs are cached automatically, and you can manually cache individual songs or entire folders, artists or albums.
• Subsonic, AirSonic, Ampache, Madsonic, Funkwhale, Libresonic, Booksonic
• Subsonic 4.8+ compatible servers should work
• Dark and light UI themes
• All orientations, incl. iPad multitasking support
• FLAC, AAC, ALAC, MP3, MP4, OGG, WAV, AIFF + more
• Plays most audio formats without transcoding
• Lossless playback without transcoding
• Gapless playback
• 10-band equalizer
• Replay Gain
• HI-rez digital output up to 24bit/192kHz
• Phone, iPad or iPod
• Artist radio.
• Artist top songs
• Similar artists
• Be inspired by random artist, album or songs
• Play random songs in a genre
BROWSE YOUR MUSIC ANY WAY YOU LIKE IT
• Artists, Albums, Songs
• Playlists, Favorites, Genres
• Podcasts, Audiobooks, Bookmarks
• Filter by Subsonic mediafolder
• Server configured/shared internet radiostation.
• 20000+ radiostation directory powered by radiobrowser.info
• Create, update and delete playlists
• Personal and shared playlists
• Cache complete playlists to device
• Full playlist support in both online and offline mode
• Starring of artists, albums, tracks and folders
• Starring works in both online and offline mode
• Items starred when offline is synced at first chance
• Easily filter lists for starred content
• View All, Random or Starred albums from a genre
• View Random or Starred songs from a genre
CONTEXT MENU EVERYWHERE
• Long-press any item to show relevant actions
• Easily navigate between associated artist, album, tracks and folders
• Add tracks, albums, artists or folders to playlists
• View and manage caching
• Swipe-to-reveal shortcuts
• Access different views by tapping the list title
• Automatic caching of played tracks, pre-cache upcoming tracks
• Manually cache selected folders, artists, albums or tracks
• Configurable cache parameters
• Upgrade cached audio to better bitrate when available
SEAMLESS OFFLINE MODE
• Play cached music when connectivity is bad
• Show only cached content
• Same user interface in online and offline mode
• AirPlay, Bluetooth, remote control, lock screen & control center integration
• Support iOS sleep timer
• Resumes music after being interrupted by phone calls
• Background downloads
• SSL, self-signed certificates
• Secure authentication for Subsonic 5.3+ servers
• Connection dependent bitrate; bitrate settings for cellular and wifi, override settings for slow/fast WiFi networks
• Scrobbles to last.fm if configured on the server
• Updates Now Playing on the server
• Updates server-playcounts when playing cached content
• Music played while offline is scrobbled when online again
NOTE: a licensed installation of Subsonic 4.8+ is required.
Some features need a higher Subsonic server version (Top Songs, Artist Radio, Similar Artists, Last.fm Imagery, Album Info)
Internet Radio, Funkwhale, bugfixes
● INTERNET RADIO ●
play:Sub supports Subsonic internet radiostations configured on your Subsonic server.
Add radiostions from a 20000+ radiostion directory, powered by radiobrowser.info.
Stations may be shared on the Subsonic server (Subsonic 6.1.2+), or stored locally on device.
● FUNKWHALE SUPPORT ●
play:Sub now adapts to the capabilities of Funkwhale, a new Subsonic API compatible server.
Goto https://funkwhale.audio for details about Funkwhale.
● TWEAKS AND FIXES ●
New Support "ignored articles" as configured on the Subsonic server.
New Start serverside media rescan on compatible servers (requires Subsonic 6.1+ or compatible server).
New Support for newest Subsonic server versions.
Fixed iPhone status bar was sometimes not legible on player screen in light UI theme.
Fixed Mini message didnt extend below the notch for other notch device than the original X.
Fixed Occasionally it would take a long time before new serverside media was detected.
Fixed Resuming audiobooks not working properly.
Fixed Loading large folders (6000+ tracks) would time out.
Fixed Selecting tracks from a shuffled play queue did not work.
Fixed Deleting multiple songs from a playlist not possible.
For feature requests or issues:
please use the in-app form (play:Sub | Feedback),
or the contact form on http://michaelsapps.dk
Ratings and Reviews
Now the best subsonic client for iOS
I was an iSub user for many years. When version 1.8 of Play:Sub came out, I found myself splitting my time between the two apps. Version 1.9 (July 2018) has changed all that: Play:Sub is the only client for me now. Why? The power of the interface. It’s very flexible for things like adding tracks to a currently playing queue. Basically, unlike iSub (which is no longer in active development) the interface feels current and doesn’t get in your way. Add in features unique to this client like Artist Radio (plays songs from artists related to the current one) and you’ve got a winner.
Awesome App! The Best Subsonic Player!
I’ve tried all of the Subsonic players and while each has it’s own style and special features, this is my personal favorite! It’s a beautifully polished app with a great interface! When the iPhone first came out the music player on iOS was wonderful. Then they mucked it up a little and completely borked it when they added streaming music. This app however still has that beautiful feel and ease of use.
I also give the developer huge props! He’s very fast to respond to support questions and welcomes feedback and suggestions.
Please give us cast options and CarPlay
I would pay extra to be able to use “cast” to capable Wi-Fi devices...this functionality is in the Google Chrome version of the web interface in the play bar, a lot of apps do this now and it would be awesome to have. I would also like to request that we get a true car play interface. This app is phenomenal please keep up the excellent work in developing!
Developer Response ,
Support for Google Cast is coming in the next version (soon).
As for CarPlay: it's on the list of candidate things to add to play:Sub, and CarPlay is getting requested more and more.
- Michael Hansen
- 21.8 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Danish, German
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2015-2018 Michael Bech Hansen
- In-App Purchases
- Track Tip $1.99
- Album Tip $8.99
- EP Tip $3.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.