WINNER of the 1st European Best Learning Game Competition
Finalist in the BETT Awards 2012 – winners to be announced in January 2012.
Find out what teachers are raving about and feel is a MUST in their schools!
NB! Only works on iPad2 and iPad3. Sorry for problems, but we can only write here it doesn't work on iPad and not in other places as Apple doesn't give access to that.
You get the first 20 minutes of gameplay for free, and can then buy the remaining game for $6.99
From the multiple award-winning team comes the latest educational game, Playing History. In this episode of 'The Plague', you go back in time to the 14th century in Florence. This amazing city full of wonder and bizarre characters is stricken by a mysterious disease that medics are just beginning to understand. Your mother has been affected by it too, and it is up to you to help her survive! Explore the city, talk to the people in the city and find out how to prevent your mother from getting worse. All the while, you must be careful not to catch it yourself. Learn about history first hand and relive the past!
Join the 500+ schools across Europe using Playing History since it first came out on the web in the Fall of 2010. We now make it even easier to access and play wherever you go!
“It's a really good game which the pupils at my school are crazy about. In that regard, I can also say that the game almost has become mandatory teaching at our school!” - Danish Primary School Teacher
- up to 4 hours of gameplay!
- plenty of hidden games and facts to encourage replaying
- a well thought out story line that reenacts 14th century Florence
- great graphics
- complex city with plenty of places to explore
- fun and bizarre characters to speak to and gather information from
- Tempus, a helping character that supports the player throughout the game
- several languages to choose from: English, Danish, and German
- natural learning through interaction with the world
- advanced dialogue system
- ability to collect and use tools and items
- original soundtrack
- based on an already successful game used in schools
In app purchase added.
Ratings and Reviews
Works good on iPad 2
I have not had any technical problems, yet anyway. (I'm probably 3/4 through). I really like this app because I am interested in this time in history & it is refreshing to see games that have a goal of teaching along with entertaining. My only complaint so far is that you must manually save the game before you exit or all of your progress is lost.
It's a fun game. There is some interesting facts that I learned from it. I really like the quirky characters. While you have free range the game is still pretty linear. Also seems that there isn't really any extra side things besides mini games. I hope they put out more games like this but hope that future games are a little longer with more extras.
I have played the game twice so there is some nice replay factor.
Crashes, long load times
I cannot get this game to run past the loading screens, which take forever. It gets to the first scene with a woman sick in bed, starts to load something else, then crashes.
If it's not compatible with ipad1, the creators should change the requirements up in that box to the left.
Glad I didn't pay money for it at least....
- Serious Games Interactive
- 99.7 MB
- Requires iOS 4.2 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © Serious Games Interactive
- In-App Purchases
- The full game $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.