Pleco Chinese Dictionary
By Pleco Software
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Pleco is the ultimate Chinese learning companion - an integrated dictionary / document reader / flashcard system with fullscreen handwriting input and live OCR, from a company that's been making the world's best mobile Chinese learning apps since 2001.
Major features: ($ = paid add-on)
• Amazing dictionaries. We include two lovely free ones built-in: the popular open-source CC-CEDICT, with over 100,000 frequently-updated entries, and our own PLC dictionary, with 78,000 more detailed entries and over 20,000 example sentences (with Pinyin). More than two dozen other dictionaries are available as free and paid ($) add-ons, including licensed titles from well-known publishers like Oxford, Longman, FLTRP, Tuttle, Cishu, and Commercial Press.
• Powerful merged search: look up words by Chinese characters, Pinyin (spaces / tones optional), or English, with support for wildcards and full-text search. And no need to tediously flip between all of those dictionaries to find a word - just type in your search term and instantly get a combined, frequency-sorted result list.
• Links and cross-references: easily look up character components, break down words into individual characters, look up lists of words containing a particular character, search across all dictionaries for example sentences containing a word, and even find synonyms / antonyms using our (experimental) free thesaurus add-on.
• Gorgeous typography: see it for yourself in our screenshots - we think we're one of the best-looking Chinese dictionaries around. Alternate Kai/Song/Xing-style Chinese fonts are also available ($).
• Mainland/HK/Taiwan-friendly: every part of Pleco supports both traditional and simplified characters, headword pronunciations can be shown in Zhuyin as well as in Pinyin, and we even support Cantonese search and display in our PLC dictionary.
• Audio: iOS 7 users can take advantage of the free built-in Mandarin and Cantonese TTS system to hear pronunciations for words and example sentences. We also offer add-ons ($) with native-speaker Mandarin and Cantonese recordings, plus a higher-quality Mandarin text-to-speech system add-on.
• Document Reader: bring in text from the clipboard and tap on words in it to instantly look them up. Upgrade ($) adds support for tap-lookups in text, DOC, DOCX, RTF, PDF, and EPUB files, and in embedded lyrics in songs and podcasts.
• OCR: look up words simply by pointing your device's camera at them, or by tapping on them in a still image. ($)
• Fullscreen handwriting: use your device's whole screen instead of just a little box. Extremely accurate and highly tolerant of stroke order mistakes. ($)
• Flashcards: create a card from any dictionary entry with a single button tap, import premade word lists, use advanced memorization techniques like SRS, and study in a variety of modes including fill-in-the-blanks handwriting and tone drills. ($)
• Stroke Order Diagrams: animations showing you how to draw each character; over 20,000 characters are covered. ($)
• User dictionaries: create new dictionary entries right on your device as you encounter new words. ($)
• Absolutely no ads.
We also offer famously excellent customer support and an active user community at http://www.plecoforums.com. And we're constantly working to make our products better; our sales and customer base have been growing for 12 years across 4 different mobile platforms. You can be confident that we'll still be fixing bugs and adding features for years to come.
Our paid add-ons can be transferred to other devices that link to your iTunes account just like any other paid iTunes content; simply install our free app, open up the "Add-ons" screen, and tap on the "Restore Purchases" button to activate your purchase on each device.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, via the form at http://www.pleco.com/contact.html, or using the in-app "Contact Support" command with any questions - we'll be delighted to hear from you.
What's New in Version 3.1.3
3.1.3: Urgent fix/workaround for a bug introduced in iOS 7.1 that could cause Pleco to fail to start up correctly on some pre-2013 iOS devices.
Very sorry this wasn't out sooner, but we didn't receive any advance notice of the final release of iOS 7.1.
More bug fixes coming soon in 3.1.4. (have to find a way to work some sort of pun in there about π)
Farther off, 3.2 will focus on code modernization- most critically in our flashcard database system - and also add 64-bit support; we will probably also discontinue support for iOS 6 in that update. After that, the remainder of the year and probably the first few months of 2015 should go mostly to additional improvements to flashcards, some long-awaited improvements to OCR, and work on a few other smaller projects like a revamped radical input system and improved English-Chinese search result quality; we'll keep tweaking the UI as well, though we intend to do further UI improvements incrementally rather than in one big leap as in 3.0.
As always, since Apple resets our review average with every update (even a minor bug fix) we'd really appreciate it if you'd leave another review - don't have to write anything, just the star button will do. We deplore the fact that other developers put up nag screens asking for reviews, and would never do that ourselves, but reviews help us show up more prominently in search results, which leads to more users / more money to improve Pleco.
The best Chinese dictionary on any mobile platform, by far!
I've been in shanghai for the past year, and it's the best companion around. It beats the cheapo Electronic dictionaries because pleco has optical character recognition!
You can find words using pinyin or hand writing, and there are multiple dictionaries available for download. Feeling lazy? You can use the optical character reader to capture live characters and translate it on the spot.
You can translate emails sent to you iPhone by simply copy pasting the text into the clipboard.
I also use the optical reader to capture and create flash cards that I use on my way to work.
And their customer support is the best around. I Emailed them twice (one regarding a package price, once just to check when the next update is, and the replied within 10 minutes! If only my cable company did the same...
Essential companion for the Chinese learner
One of the coolest parts about learning Chinese is seeing new words "in the wild" and finding out what they mean. Unfortunately, before I discovered Pleco this rarely happened because it required me to find a pencil and paper, write down the characters, then remember to dig them out and look them up once I found myself in front of a computer.
Now that I have Pleco, looking up a character or word is a 15-second process and I can do it in the time it takes me to walk past an interesting-looking sign or watch a confusing scene in a movie.
They offer handwriting recognition for a modest (one-time) fee; to date, though, I've only used their lookup by radical and pinyin, so I can't comment on how well the handwriting works.
Huge help - worth the money
This is a great app for the dictionary alone, if that was all you got. The character recognition, however, puts this app over the top. After 7 years in China, I can survive with my oral Chinese, but I'll never understand the written. This app fills that gap perfectly. Only one downside - the responses from the dictionary are literal - May not be what is actually used in daily conversation. I still have to ask friends to look through the responses and give me the best.
In total, it's a must have app for visiting or living in China.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Mar 10, 2014
- Version: 3.1.3
- Size: 77.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Pleco Software
- © 2014 Pleco Software Incorporated and its licensors
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Optical Character Recognizer (Educational Discount)$11.99
- Optical Character Recognizer$14.99
- Full-screen Handwriting (Educational Discount)$11.99
- Pleco Basic Bundle (Educational Discount)$39.99
- Flashcard System (Educational Discount)$9.99
- Full-screen Handwriting$14.99
- Flashcard System$14.99
- Pleco Basic Bundle$49.99
- Pleco Professional Bundle (Educational Discount)$79.99
- Pleco Complete Bundle (Educational Discount)$99.99