Pleco Chinese Dictionary
By Pleco Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Pleco is the ultimate Chinese learning companion - an integrated dictionary / document reader / flashcard system with fullscreen handwriting input and live OCR, from a company that's been making the world's best mobile Chinese learning apps since 2001.
Major features: ($ = paid add-on)
• Amazing dictionaries. We include two lovely free ones built-in: the popular open-source CC-CEDICT, with over 100,000 frequently-updated entries, and our own PLC dictionary, with 78,000 more detailed entries and over 20,000 example sentences (with Pinyin). More than two dozen other dictionaries are available as free and paid ($) add-ons, including licensed titles from well-known publishers like Oxford, Longman, FLTRP, Tuttle, SLPH, and Commercial Press.
• Powerful merged search: look up words by Chinese characters, Pinyin (spaces / tones optional), or English, with support for wildcards and full-text search. And no need to tediously flip between all of those dictionaries to find a word - just type in your search term and instantly get a combined, frequency-sorted result list.
• Links and cross-references: easily look up character components, break down words into individual characters, look up lists of words containing a particular character, search across all dictionaries for example sentences containing a word, and even find synonyms / antonyms using our (experimental) free thesaurus add-on.
• Gorgeous typography: see it for yourself in our screenshots - we think we're one of the best-looking Chinese dictionaries around. Alternate Kai/Song/Xing-style Chinese fonts are also available ($).
• Mainland/HK/Taiwan-friendly: every part of Pleco supports both traditional and simplified characters, headword pronunciations can be shown in Zhuyin as well as in Pinyin, and we even support Cantonese search and display in our PLC dictionary.
• Audio: Hear Mandarin and Cantonese pronunciations for words and example sentences using iOS' free built-in text-to-speech system. We also offer add-ons ($) with native-speaker Mandarin and Cantonese recordings, plus higher-quality Mandarin text-to-speech system options.
• Document Reader: bring in text from the clipboard and tap on words in it to instantly look them up. Upgrade ($) adds support for tap-lookups in text, HTML, DOC, DOCX, PDF, and EPUB files, and in embedded lyrics in songs and podcasts.
• OCR: look up words simply by pointing your device's camera at them, or by tapping on them in a still image. ($)
• Fullscreen handwriting: use your device's whole screen instead of just a little box. Extremely accurate and highly tolerant of stroke order mistakes. ($)
• Flashcards: create a card from any dictionary entry with a single button tap, import premade word lists, use advanced memorization techniques like SRS, and study in a variety of modes including fill-in-the-blanks handwriting and tone drills. ($)
• Stroke Order Diagrams: animations showing you how to draw each character; 500 characters for free, 28,000 in paid ($) version.
• User dictionaries: create new dictionary entries right on your device as you encounter new words. ($)
• Absolutely no ads.
We also offer famously excellent customer support and an active user community at http://www.plecoforums.com. And we're constantly working to make our products better; our sales and customer base have been growing for 15 years across 4 different mobile platforms. You can be confident that we'll still be fixing bugs and adding features for years to come.
Our paid add-ons can be transferred to other devices that link to your iTunes account just like any other paid iTunes content; simply install our free app, open up the "Add-ons" screen, and tap on the "Restore Purchases" button to activate your purchase on each device.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, via the form at http://www.pleco.com/contact.html, or using the in-app "Contact Support" command with any questions - we'll be delighted to hear from you.
What's New in Version 3.2.18
See our new ABC Cantonese dictionary + 5 new text-to-speech voices in "Add-ons," along with a big new update to the Outlier character dictionary.
• Numerous changes in support of new + upcoming dictionaries, like support for tone coloring in Cantonese example sentences for ABC Cantonese, support for larger + colored embedded images for the Outlier dictionary, and improved support for searches containing digits for a forthcoming new dictionary.
• Increased audio volume of our TTS voices to match up with that of the built-in iOS one.
• Made the mute switch work for all auto-playing audio, both in flashcards and in the popup reader.
• Various minor bug fixes.
Newish things to take a look at:
• ABC Cantonese Dictionary and new Cantonese (and Mandarin) TTS voices.
• New 1.1 update to the popular Outlier character dictionary.
• New free Source Han Serif Chinese font (Song-style), in Add-ons / Features.
• Beta version of the long-awaited revamp to our PLC dictionary (the one built into our free app); you can download that for free in Add-ons. This is a *huge* upgrade, with 40,000 new entries, 12,000 new example sentences, parts of speech for most entries, and many thousands of corrections and bug fixes.
• New Outlier Mini dictionary, first early mini release of a major new Chinese-English dictionary of character etymology - paid add-on but with the price credited towards a purchase of the full Outlier dictionary once it's ready.
• "New Century English-Chinese Dictionary" in Add-ons, a brand new (published in 2016), comprehensive (240k entries), example-rich (130k examples) English-to-Chinese dictionary based on the Collins corpus.
• Experimental Kai-style stroke order diagrams, free in Add-ons if you already own our stroke order add-on.
• More generous stroke order demo if you don't own that add-on yet - download that demo in Add-ons (of the original or the experimental Kai diagrams) and you can now see stroke order for several hundred common characters in the main dictionary.
• Our experimental OCR system update (coming officially in 4.0) - Settings / OCR / New OCR System - with a completely revamped motion detection system that should feel much less jittery than before.
• Couple of other new dictionaries + something that isn't quite a dictionary but that we hope you'll love anyway.
• Giant Pleco 4.0 update, 10 years in the making (and our primary focus for the past ~2 years), with a giant spectacular overhaul of our flashcard system + OCR and a bunch of other neat stuff. (release date TBD but we're getting closer and closer...)
As always, since the App Store resets our review average with every update, we'd really appreciate it if you'd leave another review - don't have to write anything, just the star button will do. We hate the fact that other developers put up nag screens asking for reviews, and would never do that ourselves, but reviews help us show up more prominently in search results, which leads to more users / more money to improve Pleco.
Incredibly Useful App
I am minoring in Chinese and this has came in handy more times than I can count. I recently traveled to China where I was able to utilize the app to have more in depth conversations with people. The add ons while kind of pricey were more than wort their value especially character recognition and flashcards. I hope that they make a version for Japanese!
Excellent execution. Smooth, easy to use.
A must have if you're learning Chinese. Many useful features available for free, and great add on features and dictionaries as well. Very simple interface and easy to use. Thank you everyone at pleco for such a helpful tool! I'm currently living in China and would be lost without it!
Still the best
I first downloaded this in the year of iPad, on the recommendation of Jon Singer, and it continues to improve with every version. Stroke order diagrams make it easy to learn to write, but the OCR works so well that I continue to skip my handwriting practice.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jul 11, 2017
- Version: 3.2.18
- Size: 116 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Pleco Inc.
- © 2017 Pleco Inc. and its licensors
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Optical Character Recognizer$14.99
- Optical Character Recognizer (Educational Discount)$14.99
- Pleco Basic Bundle$29.99
- Full-screen Handwriting$9.99
- Pleco Basic Bundle (Educational Discount)$29.99
- Full-screen Handwriting (Educational Discount)$9.99
- Flashcard System (Educational Discount)$9.99
- Flashcard System$9.99
- Pleco Professional Bundle$79.99
- Pleco Professional Bundle (Educational Discount)$79.99