By Plex Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Plex organizes all of your video, music, TV, and photo collections, and streams them to all of your screens. With the free Plex Media Server on your home computer and Plex for iOS, you can watch and listen to all of your personal media on your iOS device and share it with friends and family. Enjoy unlimited use of free features of this app, and unlock its full functionality with a Plex Pass subscription -OR- a small one-time in-app purchase (see below).
Here are some ways that Plex makes your media experience awesome:
• Makes your media beautiful with artwork, descriptions, and more
• Automatically converts your media on-the-fly to play on any device
• Makes sharing your media with friends and family simple and easy
• Lets you browse, fling, and control your media on most Plex apps
• Gives you access to a wide range of online channels such as TED Talks, Revision3, and TWiT
• Enables you to queue online videos from sites like Vimeo and YouTube and then Watch Later on any device
• Unlimited casting of photos and videos from the Camera Roll on your phone or tablet to all of your screens (such as your computer, smartphone, tablet, streaming devices, game consoles, smart TVs, and more!)
• Unlimited casting of any media on your Plex Media Server to all of your screens
• Remote control of your big screen Plex Apps
LIMITATION: Playing media from your Plex Media Server on the device running this app is limited (one minute for music and video, watermark on photos) until the app is unlocked
UNLOCK FULL FUNCTIONALITY:
You can remove the playback limitations on the app in several ways:
• Use a Plex Pass enabled account to sign into the app -OR-
• Sign up for a monthly Plex Pass subscription in the iOS app -OR-
• Make a small, one-time, in-app purchase of just the iOS app itself
NOTE: If you've already purchased the app or have a Plex Pass, you do NOT need to purchase again!
Other features include*:
• Accessibility: Connect to your Plex Media Server wherever you are, whenever you want
• Plex Home: Use customized, managed accounts, and restrict content those users can access
• Camera Upload: Automatically upload your photos from your device to your Plex Media Server
• Mobile Sync: Sync media to your phone or tablet for offline viewing
• Security: Enjoy your media away from home, knowing connection is securely encrypted
• Plex Mix: Kick off a playlist of similar and related tracks from your collection at any time
• Rotten Tomatoes: See how your movie collection ranks with ratings from Rotten Tomatoes
• Related Movies and TV shows: Easily find similar movies based on selections in your library
• Top Movies: View top movies by genre, director, and actor
• Movie Extras and Music Videos: Access trailers, extras, and music videos from your libraries
• Mini Player: Continuous viewing and control over what's playing while browsing the app
• Multi-disc support: Listen to multi-disc music albums the way they were meant to be
*Please note, some features are only available to Plex Pass subscribers.
With Plex, your media universe is constantly expanding. Getting up and running is easy, so start now!
NOTE: PLEX FOR IOS REQUIRES IOS 8.1+; YOU MUST HAVE A PLEX MEDIA SERVER (AVAILABLE FOR FREE AT http://plex.tv/downloads/) INSTALLED AND RUNNING TO STREAM LOCAL MEDIA. VERSION 0.9.12.5 OR HIGHER IS REQUIRED. DRM-protected content (such as video from the iTunes store), ISO disc images, and VIDEO_TS folders are not supported.
What's New in Version 4.0.10
- You can now save your photos to the camera roll, or share them using your installed apps.
- The PIN screen has undergone a minor facelift and is now also optimized for smaller screens (namely the iPhone 4S).
- Updated to the latest Chromecast software from Google.
- Sync storage information wasn't visible on iOS 9.
- Extras button was disabled for movies with no trailer extras available.
- Video playback controls would sometimes appear compressed.
- Cannot control Chromecast playback on environments where secure connections and DNS rebinding protection are enabled.
- The list of Plex Home users was unavailable without an Internet connection.
Plex is a very useful app. I've been experimenting with various media server options the last couple months, and so far Plex is the best option that I've found for acting as both a library interface and a streaming service.
I haven't paid for the subscription and don't plan to, but the $5 in-app purchase to enable media streaming is worth it.
That said, there are a few deficiencies. First, the user interface can be annoying at times: it's so easy to press the stop button accidentally instead of pause, the button to access subtitles and streaming options is incredibly finicky, and so on. Second, it doesn't make sense to me that syncing media to your device would be part of the subscription. Being able to stream remotely, from off of the LAN, makes complete sense, as that takes server time on Plex's part and should therefore be paid for. Contrarily, syncing is almost the same, technically speaking, as streaming locally, and should really be unlocked as part of the $5 IAP. Finally, there's no way to use gestures to control playback, such as swiping to skip back and forth, or to change the brightness or volume.
Fast and efficient
I have had a chance to install Emby and Kodi as finally Plex. Emby required large amounts of RAM as a process, while Plex was more efficient. Ultimately it comes down to how the meta data is shown and how much of it there is. Emby's metadata movie plots were pages and pages of written descriptions of plots that were just unnecessary. Kodi was the same. No one is going to read it so why bother. Plex uses more efficient descriptions and the interface actually works, while Emby for IOS is a joke. Plex has a good interface and can access the Plex server easily even on a Windows machine. AirPlay works well and is problem free. Plex for Apple TV2 is good also. It works well for most of my media. Plex costs more, and the part that accesses movie trailers comes only with added cost, but, it works well and is easy to use.
Life Changing software!
Plex has improved my life. How real is that? My family and I love it. We are cord cutters. I use PlayOn and have ripped all disc we've purchased over the last 10+ years. I have about 7tb of content. Plex organizes it, tags it and serves it up beautifully to ALL of our devices. It's unrivaled.
As an aspiring programmer, Plex is the type of place I'd love to work. To work on a piece of software that has actually improved our access and enjoyment of our media would be amazing. That's something worth building. Support the developers, get a Plex Pass account.. It's more than worth it. Remote access is brilliant.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Jan 14, 2016
- Version: 4.0.10
- Size: 49.8 MB
- Languages: English, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Plex Inc.
- © 2015 Plex, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- iOS App Activation (enable streaming playback on iOS devices)$4.99
- Monthly Plex Pass$4.99