By Plex Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Plex organizes all of your video, music, TV, and photo collections, and streams them to all of your screens. With the free Plex Media Server on your home computer and Plex for iOS, you can watch and listen to all of your personal media on your iOS device and share it with friends and family. Enjoy unlimited use of free features of this app, and unlock its full functionality with a Plex Pass subscription -OR- a small one-time in-app purchase (see below).
Here are some ways that Plex makes your media experience awesome:
• Makes your media beautiful with artwork, descriptions, and more
• Automatically converts your media on-the-fly to play on any device
• Makes sharing your media with friends and family simple and easy
• Lets you browse, fling, and control your media on most Plex apps
• Gives you access to a wide range of online channels such as TED Talks, Revision3, and TWiT
• Enables you to queue online videos from sites like Vimeo and YouTube and then Watch Later on any device
• Unlimited casting of photos and videos from the Camera Roll on your phone or tablet to all of your screens (such as your computer, smartphone, tablet, streaming devices, game consoles, smart TVs, and more!)
• Unlimited casting of any media on your Plex Media Server to all of your screens
• Remote control of your big screen Plex Apps
LIMITATION: Playing media from your Plex Media Server on the device running this app is limited (one minute for music and video, watermark on photos) until the app is unlocked.
UNLOCK FULL FUNCTIONALITY:
You can remove the playback limitations on the app in several ways:
• Use a Plex Pass enabled account to sign into the app -OR-
• Sign up for a monthly Plex Pass subscription in the iOS app -OR-
• Make a small, one-time, in-app purchase of just the iOS app itself
NOTE: If you've already purchased the app or have a Plex Pass, you do NOT need to purchase again!
Other features include*:
• Accessibility: Connect to your Plex Media Server wherever you are, whenever you want
• Plex Home: Use customized, managed accounts, and restrict content those users can access
• Camera Upload: Automatically upload your photos from your device to your Plex Media Server
• Mobile Sync: Sync media to your phone or tablet for offline viewing
• Security: Enjoy your media away from home, knowing connection is securely encrypted
• Plex Mix: Kick off a playlist of similar and related tracks from your collection at any time
• Rotten Tomatoes: See how your movie collection ranks with ratings from Rotten Tomatoes
• Related Movies and TV shows: Easily find similar movies based on selections in your library
• Top Movies: View top movies by genre, director, and actor
• Movie Extras and Music Videos: Access trailers, extras, and music videos from your libraries
• Mini Player: Continuous viewing and control over what's playing while browsing the app
• Multi-disc support: Listen to multi-disc music albums the way they were meant to be
*Please note, some features are only available to Plex Pass subscribers.
The app offers (but does not require!) a Monthly Plex Pass In-app Purchase for the equivalent of US$4.99. The purchase will be charged monthly to your iTunes Account after confirmation of your purchase.
With Plex, your media universe is constantly expanding. Getting up and running is easy, so start now!
NOTE: PLEX FOR IOS REQUIRES IOS 8.1+; YOU MUST HAVE A PLEX MEDIA SERVER (AVAILABLE FOR FREE) INSTALLED AND RUNNING TO STREAM LOCAL MEDIA. VERSION 0.9.12.5 OR HIGHER IS REQUIRED. DRM-protected content (such as video from the iTunes store), ISO disc images, and VIDEO_TS folders are not supported.
What's New in Version 4.1
- Added support for selecting alternate versions of media.
- Added support for viewing movie reviews.
- (Plex Pass) We've added the ability to choose specific quality values when syncing content. You'll find it in the "Advanced" section of the sync item quality selection screen.
- Support for direct playback of Apple Lossless audio files (ALAC).
- Added Swipe gestures on a Sync item or Friend to expose additional options.
- Added a setting for remote audio quality. You'll find it in the "Advanced" section of the settings screen.
- Added unwatched and sync indicators.
- Added a setting for disabling Picture in Picture on supported devices.
- Added a Post Play screen for video playback.
- Synced content can now be rated when offline.
- New first launch experience.
- Added support for Relay connections.
- Status bar notifications were replaced with toast alerts.
- Some photos couldn't be shared because their file format wasn't supported by iOS.
- Fixed a crash when browsing folder view.
- Fixed an issue where the app would get signed out unexpectedly.
- External screen no longer fades to black when playing music.
- Chapter thumbnails would sometimes not be shown.
- Fixed an issue preventing permissions being updated when switching users.
- The Watch Later hub now updates when an item is added in the app.
- Sync activity notifications would sometimes be shown unnecessarily.
- Crash after watching a video and returning to the home screen.
- Fixed crash browsing synced content.
- Fixed crash when network conditions changes.
- Increase the hit area for the Play button in track rows, and the info & settings button on the player screen.
- Improved feedback when user restores purchases and had no in-app purchase transactions, but purchased the old app.
- Updated translations to different languages.
- Fixed a minor issue where the episode play button on the season view would incorrectly represent tracked progress.
- The Browse tab on the home screen or in a library will be selected automatically when no content is available in the Discover tab.
- Opening the server picker while search was active would sometimes cause the keyboard to display incorrectly.
Great app, but new UI seems needlessly complicated
I've been using Plex on iPhone, Windows, Mac, and Samsung TV for some time now. Being able to view my media regardless of my location, with transcoding adjusted to match my available bandwidth, and down sampling even 1080p content so it plays flawlessly on my iPhone makes this a killer app for me.
These days, PLEX (and increasingly my iPhone) is the only way I watch TV anymore.
This latest UI revamp is very nice, but it has made navigating my media needlessly complicated. Discover vs Browse behaves strangely and unintuitively. Syncing causes an almost endless stream of awful distracting pop-ups in the top edge of the display; and if you're watching something in rotated mode it keeps popping the screen back to unrotated! Annoying!
I have recently been traveling and wanted to avail myself of syncing. It sort of seems to work but I can't tell what's really synced, nor do I thinking seeing accurate status of various synchronized shows. It's a bit of a mess really.
I still love you PLEX, but this new UI needs some real UX attention.
Not too shabby
I thoroughly enjoy how easy this app is to use. Being a graphic designer, I can appreciate the features, with clear sections and buttons that make the app easy to navigate around.
With the age of technology we now live in, pushing information between your tablet or device seems like an afterthought. You can use the Plex service for free on your desktop, however the app feature requires a one-time upgrade cost of $4.99 (This is worth it because while your computer is good for organizing/archiving, no one wants to sit at their desk to enjoy their media).
After syncing my home library, I'm able to watch everything on my AppleTV or smart device. Just like your cellphone, the Plex platform was improved recently with the ability to download the app for use on the new generation AppleTV.
It took me a while to figure out the platform, but updating my Server library can be done automatically or by intervals of every few minutes. Very user friendly!
I general I’d rate this as a 5-star app, except for this newly released version on my iPhone 6S Plus. Shortly after launching it, my iPhone became extremely hot… very hot. I wasn’t sure if it was related to Plex, but it was the only change to my device prior to the temperature change.
I turned it off for 30 minutes, back on — used it normally for about an hour, nothing unusual heat-wise. Then launched this version of Plex… Hiroshima returned. All this heat just for launching the app and having it running, I didn’t attempt to play a media file.
I look forward to the next version with a fix for the overheating issue.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Apr 27, 2016
- Version: 4.1
- Size: 59.1 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish
- Seller: Plex Inc.
- © 2015 Plex, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.Apple TV: Yes
Top In-App Purchases
- iOS App Activation (enable streaming playback on iOS devices)$4.99
- Monthly Plex Pass$4.99