By Plex Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Plex (https://plex.tv) organizes all of your video, music, and photo collections and streams them to all of your screens. With Plex, you can easily stream all of your content to your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch from your home computer running Plex Media Server (available for free at https://plex.tv/downloads).
- Plex makes your media beautiful with rich descriptions, artwork, and other related information.
- Plex automatically converts your media on-the-fly to play on any device.
- Easily share your media with friends and family.
- Browse, fling and control your media on any Plex-enabled device.
- Sync media to your phone or tablet for offline viewing (requires a premium Plex Pass subscription)
- Sync media to your favorite cloud provider including Google Drive, Dropbox, and Box, so you can stream media even when your server is offline (requires a premium Plex Pass subscription)
- Access a wide range of online channels such as TED, Revision3, and TWiT.
- Queue online videos from sites like Vimeo and YouTube and watch them later on any device.
With Plex, your media universe is constantly expanding. Getting up and running is easy, so start now!
NOTE: YOU MUST HAVE A PLEX MEDIA SERVER (AVAILABLE FOR FREE AT http://plex.tv/downloads/) INSTALLED AND RUNNING TO STREAM LOCAL MEDIA. VERSION 0.9.9.13 OR HIGHER IS REQUIRED. DRM-protected content (such as video from the iTunes store), ISO disc images, and VIDEO_TS folders are not supported.
What's New in Version 3.5.3
- Improved compatibility with iOS 8
- Improved AirPlay support
- Music playback improved
- Updated Chromecast software from Google
- Additional minor bug fixes
Great for enjoying my media
I love the Plex media server for serving up all my various media, from movies to TV shows and music to everything else. This app is great for browsing my library and playing back even high def movies without a glitch, even remotely. Be aware that downloading to your device requires time for your server to transcode videos to iOS friendly formats before downloading. So allow time for this and don't think you can do it at the last minute before you walk out the door.
Only 4 stars because the iOS app is missing the "Home" users functionality for managed users. Right now you can't select a home user when logging in, so you have to create an actual user account for them on the Plex website and log them in that way. You can still manage their access to content, but I would prefer to not have accounts for everyone in my home.
My only other suggestion for improvement is that tapping an item immediately starts playback; I'd prefer that it open the description of the item to show options for download, playback or watching extras he way it does on the web browser. Instead you have to tap the little "i" icon to access those options. Overall, I still love the app.
Love it! Love it!
When I first reviewed this App I had mixed emotions. There was some buffering issues but it was just me understanding how Plex worked with my wireless network. Now that I have had sometime to tweak it, it's great. The buffering issue is no more.
I did add a network extender to boost my signal throughout my house though. For me just adding the extender in same room as my router pushed the signal to my Chromecast devices to full bars. I also unplug my Chromecast devices after I use them. They seem to work better if they have not been plugged in for days without use. I just disconnect the power to the device.
I can reach my Plex from just about anywhere. No issues at all. Love this Plex App.
No joke, this is the best media server out there for the casual user (XBMC may be a better option for SOME). I used XBMC and this puts it to shame for my purposes. I can stream my library of movies from my home media plex server to anywhere in the world. What's even better is Roku and other streaming devices have Plex apps, so it's such a no-brainer to get the plex pass. I buy and rip blurays for my personal use and plex deals with these full rips (25gb+ sometimes) like no other program out there. The transcoding and streaming is beyond my expertise to explain, all I can say is 1080p streaming of all your home media to anywhere you have a good internet connection is a very good thing!
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Jan 23, 2015
- Version: 3.5.3
- Size: 13.9 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Seller: Plex Inc.
- © 2015 Plex, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.