By Plex Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Plex (https://plex.tv) organizes all of your video, music, and photo collections and streams them to all of your screens. With Plex, you can easily stream all of your content to your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch from your home computer running Plex Media Server (available for free at https://plex.tv/downloads).
- Plex makes your media beautiful with rich descriptions, artwork, and other related information.
- Plex automatically converts your media on-the-fly to play on any device.
- Easily share your media with friends and family.
- Browse, fling and control your media on any Plex-enabled device.
- Sync media to your phone or tablet for offline viewing (requires a premium Plex Pass subscription)
- Sync media to your favorite cloud provider including Google Drive, Dropbox, and Box, so you can stream media even when your server is offline (requires a premium Plex Pass subscription)
- Access a wide range of online channels such as TED, Revision3, and TWiT.
- Queue online videos from sites like Vimeo and YouTube and watch them later on any device.
With Plex, your media universe is constantly expanding. Getting up and running is easy, so start now!
NOTE: YOU MUST HAVE A PLEX MEDIA SERVER (AVAILABLE FOR FREE AT http://plex.tv/downloads/) INSTALLED AND RUNNING TO STREAM LOCAL MEDIA. VERSION 0.9.9.13 OR HIGHER IS REQUIRED. DRM-protected content (such as video from the iTunes store), ISO disc images, and VIDEO_TS folders are not supported.
What's New in Version 3.5.3
- Improved compatibility with iOS 8
- Improved AirPlay support
- Music playback improved
- Updated Chromecast software from Google
- Additional minor bug fixes
Great for enjoying my media
I love the Plex media server for serving up all my various media, from movies to TV shows and music to everything else. This app is great for browsing my library and playing back even high def movies without a glitch, even remotely. Be aware that downloading to your device requires time for your server to transcode videos to iOS friendly formats before downloading. So allow time for this and don't think you can do it at the last minute before you walk out the door.
Only 4 stars because the iOS app is missing the "Home" users functionality for managed users. Right now you can't select a home user when logging in, so you have to create an actual user account for them on the Plex website and log them in that way. You can still manage their access to content, but I would prefer to not have accounts for everyone in my home.
My only other suggestion for improvement is that tapping an item immediately starts playback; I'd prefer that it open the description of the item to show options for download, playback or watching extras he way it does on the web browser. Instead you have to tap the little "i" icon to access those options. Overall, I still love the app.
This program (as well as the service as a whole) is one of the most useful pieces of software I've ever come across!! If you have a large media library that you're always trying to utilize, then Plex is for you! It's a bit of work to get everything running smoothly (even the most basic users can become pros with a little bit of time and patience) but once you dotted all of your I's you will see what I mean! Plex virtually eliminated my need for a cable provider! It's clean, powerful, and about 99% self sufficient! After you do the fine tuning Plex handles and organizes all of your media in to a central location equipped with a beautiful interface that take your endless collection of files and turns them in to options for entertainment! I love everything about it! And the best part is, it can be installed on just about anything with an internet connection and a screen! MUST HAVE!
Good playback when it works, but crashes too often (in this version, every time you try to watch a slide show of photos). Also, not super intuitive or configurable (who would have thought that the play button at the top of a photo album would not play a slideshow of the album? hint, you have to back out of the album, going up on level so that you see the album's folder along with all other albums, and then hold down your finger on the folder until a context menu pops up, which if you click on the slideshow button will currently crash the app). Plex is great on the PC and it supports a lot of clients, but where is the watch/record TV feature (using a Ceton box or similar)? We need a replacement for Windows Media Center (now that Microsoft announced that it is being dropped from Windows 10) and Plex is almost there, but we need to be able to watch/record live TV in order for it to be complete.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Jan 23, 2015
- Version: 3.5.3
- Size: 13.9 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Seller: Plex Inc.
- © 2015 Plex, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.