By Vadim Shpakovski
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Drag and drop PNG images from Finder into the app to reduce their files sizes. This tool is an excellent GUI wrapper around command line tools for PNG compression.
Why do you need PNG Compressor:
✔ Optimize graphics on your website for faster loading and saving the bandwidth
✔ Reduce file sizes of pictures to lower hosting costs
✔ Compress bitmaps in your iPhone or Mac app bundles
✔ Replace console tools like pngcrush, optipng, advpng and pngout with a native Mac app.
What's New in Version 1.1
• Improved General and Advanced preference panes
• A new preference pane Queue for command line tools
• Quick Look panel for previewing selected images
• Displaying of total savings in the status bar
• A contextual menu in the list view
• New preferences for text size and savings in the list view
• Support for “silent” compression when you drag an image into the Dock
• A new option to compress images in any folder automatically
• Press and hold the Shift key on launch to reset all preferences
• Completed images are cleaned up automatically on quit
• Other improvements and bug fixes
Great app, ignore bad reviews
I use Photoshop Elements and it doesn't do ANY compression when it saves PNG files, so the resulting files are laughably big--often several TIMES bigger than they need to be.
Before using this app, I would re-open the files in GIMP one-by-one and re-save them to compress them, which is awkward and time-consuming. Now that I have this app, I can compress files in seconds. Kudos to the developer for making such an effective and easy-to-use app.
To all the people complaining that it doesn't compress your files, did it ever occur to you that maybe they're already correctly compressed?
This simple little, easy-to-use program saved my job!! When I switched over to Photoshop CC, they left something out of the program that compresses PNG files! There is no fix, so I went in search of something as 90% of my work is PNG files. Seriously, this program reduces these images to where they need to be. LOVE it! I hope you never stop updating.
I don't know why some have problems, but that's true with everything. Sometimes there's other programs that can interfere. Otherwise, this works and I HIGHLY recommend it!
Better Than I Thought
Before I bought this I honestly thought that it wasn't worth the $5. However, after duplicating my 18MB picture folder and simply dumping it into this app within 5 minutes I shaved off 3MB. You can change the settings so that it saves the pngs as the same name so you can drag it back into the application you're using it for and replace the old ones. Now my iPhone app is farther away from the WiFi-only 20MB limit, which will help my app sell more.
- Category: Graphics & Design
- Updated: Apr 10, 2012
- Version: 1.1
- Size: 0.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Vadim Shpakovski
- Copyright © 2011 Shpakovski
Compatibility: OS X 10.6.6 or later, 64-bit processor