By Nicko Brennan
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
With PocketGrib you can download, view and analyse global weather data while on the go.
Wind, precipitation, pressure, temperature, wave and other data extracted from GRIB files are displayed through our powerful GRIB viewer interface.
Perfect for sailors (both sailing and in the pub), windsurfers, storm chasers, outdoor enthusiasts, amateur and professional meteorologists.
- Choose your map location and have weather information overlaid
- Animation of weather maps
- Weather can be viewed as a meteogram (graph) or raw data
- Configurable download to minimise file sizes (great for roaming)
- GRIB files can be downloaded to your PC via iTunes
- Displays online and offline
- Support for 3rd party GRIB files
PocketGrib downloads and displays the following weather types:
- Wind speed and direction (10 m above ground/sea)
- Precipitation (rain, snow etc)
- Air temperature
- Waves (including Mediterranean and Black Sea)
- Cloud cover
- Relative humidity
- CAPE (Convective Atmospheric Potential Energy)
- Current (Atlantic only)
- 500mb Height
Direct download of GRIB data from NOAA's GFS (Global Forecast System) model
- Forecasts up to 8 days
- Data steps: 3hr, 6hr, 12hr
- Worldwide coverage
- Resolution: 0.25°, 0.5°, 1°, 2°
- Data updated 4 times a day (every 6 hours)
Also support for COAMPS (0.2° resolution), WW3, NOGAPS, RTOFS (Currents) and FNMOC WW3 (Mediterranean wave) models.
GRIB forecasts are published without human intervention or review. As such, the end user requires some knowledge and awareness. Most GRIB models do NOT accurately forecast hurricanes and tropical cyclones so their use should be combined with specific hurricane and tropical cyclone forecasts.
What's New in Version 1.2.6
-Added 0.25° resolution GFS GRIB download option
I'm not sure what has happened to this app, but grib files are no longer available for download using the map. An error message indicates that the server is no longer available. The email address is not current. All attempts to contact the app owner have been aborted. NOT A DEPENDABLE APP!!!
I say again "I'm a meteorologist due to PocketGrib"
The app crashes each time I try to download new products. Please update! I didn't pay $5 to have an app that doesn't work.
- Category: Weather
- Updated: May 14, 2015
- Version: 1.2.6
- Size: 9.0 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish
- Seller: Nicholas Brennan
- © 2010-15 Nicholas Brennnan
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.