By Nicko Brennan
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
With PocketGrib you can download, view and analyse global weather data while on the go.
Wind, precipitation, pressure, temperature, wave and other data extracted from GRIB files are displayed through our powerful GRIB viewer interface.
Perfect for sailors (both sailing and in the pub), windsurfers, storm chasers, outdoor enthusiasts, amateur and professional meteorologists.
- Choose your map location and have weather information overlaid
- Animation of weather maps
- Weather can be viewed as a meteogram (graph) or raw data
- Configurable download to minimise file sizes (great for roaming)
- GRIB files can be downloaded to your PC via iTunes
- Displays online and offline
- Support for 3rd party GRIB files
PocketGrib downloads and displays the following weather types:
- Wind speed and direction (10 m above ground/sea)
- Precipitation (rain, snow etc)
- Air temperature
- Waves (including Mediterranean and Black Sea)
- Cloud cover
- Relative humidity
- CAPE (Convective Atmospheric Potential Energy)
- Current (Atlantic only)
Direct download of GRIB data from NOAA's GFS (Global Forecast System) model
- Forecasts up to 8 days
- Data steps: 3hr, 6hr, 12hr
- Worldwide coverage
- Resolution: 0.5°, 1°, 2°
- Data updated 4 times a day (every 6 hours)
Also support for COAMPS (0.2° resolution), WW3, NOGAPS, RTOFS (Currents) and FNMOC WW3 (Mediterranean wave) models.
GRIB forecasts are published without human intervention or review. As such, the end user requires some knowledge and awareness. Most GRIB models do NOT accurately forecast hurricanes and tropical cyclones so their use should be combined with specific hurricane and tropical cyclone forecasts.
What's New in Version 1.1.10
-Fixed performance issues running on iOS7
Perfect grib app
This app is exactly what we've been looking for. You can download directly from NOAA so no cumbersome downloading to email and then saving and opening. We've been looking for a weather app with the surface isobar prog charts and this app has it. It's easy to use and highly intuitive. Easily accessible onscreen buttons for every bit of info you want. Fast downloads even over slow WiFi. Worth every penny of the $5.99
sailing with pocketgrib
We left Florida for the Bahamas Jan 2013 for our first out of the country winter cruise. The Bahama Telephone company (Batelco) offers spotty service around the islands. Using Pocketgrib for quick weather updates when we had a signal became very important to us.
We found Pocketgrib to be essential. S/V Mardi Gras
Essential for cruisers!
My wife and I are currently sailing our boat on the Pacific Coast of Mexico and Central America. Whenever we have Wi-Fi available we download the gribs for the area we are in and use them to compare to some of the forecasts we get from other sources. Helps us plan our voyages. This is a great app and needs to be in your quiver of weather apps!
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Oct 20, 2013
- Version: 1.1.10
- Size: 6.3 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish
- Seller: Nicholas Brennan
- © 2010-12 Nicholas Brennnan
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.