By Nic Carter
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
PocketSword is a Bible Study app for the iPad, iPhone & iPod touch (iOS 3.0 and above) that is built upon the powerful SWORD backend developed by the CrossWire Bible Society.
Modules are available for download (offline use) within the app, with permission granted by the various copyright holders to CrossWire to distribute them for use in its apps. When you download this app, it comes with the KJV & Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Whole Bible pre-installed, but you can use the downloader within PocketSword (located under the More tab) to choose which additional modules you wish to download from CrossWire and have available for offline use.
There are free modules (both Bible translations and commentaries) available in over 60 languages, including (but not limited to):
English, Greek (modern and ancient), Hebrew, German, Dutch, French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese (simplified & traditional), Arabic, Afrikaans, Latin, Russian, Tagalog, Thai, Vietnamese and many more.
* Popular Bible translations available in the English language include:
KJV, AKJV, ASV, ESV, NET, Tyndale, WEB and Young's Literal Translation.
* Popular Commentaries available in the English language include:
Matthew Henry's Complete Commentary on the Whole Bible (as well as the "Concise" version), Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, John Wesley's Notes on the Bible, Abbot, Barnes, Geneva, Luther and more...
(See http://crosswire.org/sword/modules/ for a fuller list of the modules).
* Dictionaries are also available within PocketSword, including Easton's Bible Dictionary and Nave's Topical Bible Dictionary.
* Daily Devotionals are also available (under the More tab), including Spurgeon's Morning & Evening.
You can also choose to create your own modules, using the tools available from Crosswire, and install your modules directly from your computer to your iPhone.
The SWORD backend to PocketSword is very powerful and allows for a rich experience for the end user. Currently implemented are:
- Built-in module downloader of modules in many different languages
- Separate Bible, Commentary & Dictionary tabs for quick reference from one to the other: jump to a verse in one and it jumps to the same verse in the other
- Landscape & fullscreen modes
- Choose your font & font size for ease of reading
- Bookmark & History (of Bible & Commentary use) support
- Red Letter support & choice of reading Verse-Per-Line or using paragraphs.
- Night mode for easier reading in the dark
- Install custom-made modules (including those with non-KJV versification, commenly called "Alternative Versification" or av11n)
- Searching within Bibles and Commentaries
- Localisations in many languages.
- Copy and Paste support (of Bible verses, Commentary entries & Dictionary entries).
- Footnotes, cross-references & headings in modules that support them (ESV and KJV, for example)
- Strong's Numbers & Morphology in modules that support them
Follow us on Twitter @PocketSword
Please note that we cannot reply to questions you ask in reviews - email us or post a question on the user forums at:
What's New in Version 1.4.5
New in v1.4.5
- Added Arabic localisation
- Added new fonts for Hebrew & Greek
- Dropped support for iPhone 3G, now require iOS 4.3 or later, sorry... :(
- Faster launch times
- Nicer module download screen, now can queue the download of modules!
- App will automatically download the search index for any new Bibles you download (if there's one available!)
- Splash screens to tell you which preference you are switching on/off under the Module selector button (top right corner of the screen)
- Support for Glosses/Ruby in modules (initially only Japanese modules)
- lots of bug fixes.
New in v1.4.4
- fixed install sources bug
- fixed crashing bug on startup
- solved the case of the missing OT (thanks to Holmes & Watson)
- fixed repeated search results that appeared in some modules (not mentioning any names!!!)
- fixed highlighting in the book of Revelation
- fixed bug when your device is set to display in Romanian (all one of you?)
- updated libsword (r2793)
New in v1.4.3
- updated Greek Strong's dictionary
- adjusted text spacing for easier reading
- Poetry is now properly formatted
- fixed VoiceOver bugs (please let us know if you find any more!)
- updated libsword to latest svn (r2779 for those curious!)
- updated locales
- updated Repositories listings
- fix so Canonical Psalm titles appear correctly
- moved history listings to iCloud so it will be in sync across all devices
- fixed a couple of bugs in Module Maintainer Mode & Daily Devotionals
- improved launch speed & decreased memory footprint
** Due to changes that Apple have made, PocketSword now requires iOS 4.2 and later. Sorry about that! **
** But, if you got your device in 2008 or later, you will be ok :) **
Favorite Bible App!
This is by far my favorite Bible app! It is easy to use, and I love being able to download extra Bibles in the original languages that have Strong's Concordance numbers as well as morphology info! One thing that would make it better I think would be iCloud backup. When I update my iPhone it doesn't save all the data for Pocket Sword-- such as which modules I've already downloaded and which dictionaries are my preference. If it could sync so that the modules could be saved even after software updates that would be great, instead of having to re-download them every time.
I've been using this program on my MacBook for some time now. Started using it on my iPad Mini around 2 months ago.
I have to say I'm impressed with how everything works together, took about a day or 2 to get the feel of it. Yet, it has been wonderful to have all my study programs on my MacBook available on the iPad Mini.
Only two things I would suggest.
1. A notepad in the program
2. Posting to Facebook, twitter, and such.
All in all, wonderful program
I am so happy to find an easy to use app with a Strong's Concordance! There are other great features, too, but I was specifically looking for an app in which I could read the Bible and have the Greek or Hebrew numbers beside the words so that I could click them, read the definition for that word, and search all instances of that word. I highly recommend this app. It makes study even more fun.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jul 11, 2013
- Version: 1.4.5
- Size: 14.4 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Seller: Nic Carter
- © 2013 CrossWire Bible Society and Nic Carter
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.