By Nic Carter
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
PocketSword is a Bible Study app for the iPad, iPhone & iPod touch (iOS 3.0 and above) that is built upon the powerful SWORD backend developed by the CrossWire Bible Society.
Modules are available for download (offline use) within the app, with permission granted by the various copyright holders to CrossWire to distribute them for use in its apps. When you download this app, it comes with the KJV & Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Whole Bible pre-installed, but you can use the downloader within PocketSword (located under the More tab) to choose which additional modules you wish to download from CrossWire and have available for offline use.
There are free modules (both Bible translations and commentaries) available in over 60 languages, including (but not limited to):
English, Greek (modern and ancient), Hebrew, German, Dutch, French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese (simplified & traditional), Arabic, Afrikaans, Latin, Russian, Tagalog, Thai, Vietnamese and many more.
* Popular Bible translations available in the English language include:
KJV, AKJV, ASV, ESV, NET, Tyndale, WEB and Young's Literal Translation.
* Popular Commentaries available in the English language include:
Matthew Henry's Complete Commentary on the Whole Bible (as well as the "Concise" version), Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, John Wesley's Notes on the Bible, Abbot, Barnes, Geneva, Luther and more...
(See http://crosswire.org/sword/modules/ for a fuller list of the modules).
* Dictionaries are also available within PocketSword, including Easton's Bible Dictionary and Nave's Topical Bible Dictionary.
* Daily Devotionals are also available (under the More tab), including Spurgeon's Morning & Evening.
You can also choose to create your own modules, using the tools available from Crosswire, and install your modules directly from your computer to your iPhone.
The SWORD backend to PocketSword is very powerful and allows for a rich experience for the end user. Currently implemented are:
- Built-in module downloader of modules in many different languages
- Separate Bible, Commentary & Dictionary tabs for quick reference from one to the other: jump to a verse in one and it jumps to the same verse in the other
- Landscape & fullscreen modes
- Choose your font & font size for ease of reading
- Bookmark & History (of Bible & Commentary use) support
- Red Letter support & choice of reading Verse-Per-Line or using paragraphs.
- Night mode for easier reading in the dark
- Install custom-made modules (including those with non-KJV versification, commenly called "Alternative Versification" or av11n)
- Searching within Bibles and Commentaries
- Localisations in many languages.
- Copy and Paste support (of Bible verses, Commentary entries & Dictionary entries).
- Footnotes, cross-references & headings in modules that support them (ESV and KJV, for example)
- Strong's Numbers & Morphology in modules that support them
Follow us on Twitter @PocketSword
Please note that we cannot reply to questions you ask in reviews - email us or post a question on the user forums at:
What's New in Version 1.4.7
New in v1.4.7
- bug fixes for iOS 8
- (Bookmarking on iPad works again)
- (Module Maintainer Mode on iPad works again)
- (Full screen rotation on iPad works again)
- This release also comes with holidays love! Please keep the feedback coming & know that we do read all your emails – time may prevent an instant reply, though :/
- If you're enjoying PocketSword, please feel free to leave some review love as an App Store review :) These make us smile!
New in v1.4.6
- updated for iOS 8 (lots of under the hood improvements, too!)
- loads of bug fixes
- app should be even faster now with those under the hood improvements, giving you more time to actually read the Bible :)
- Minor update to the KJV module
- updated libsword to v1.7.3
- updated the module repositories
- iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus support
The best Bible app by far.
The amount of information you have access to using this app is beyond what one would expect from a free app. But I have the KJV, MHCC commentary, as well as entire concordance and that is just some of what is offered in a very simple, cohesive format for one to casually read or embark on deep Biblical studies. It is truly priceless.
Love this App!
This app is amazing I really enjoy doing my Bible study on this app. My favorite one is the ESV version. I would like to be able to highlight and write notes as well, just a suggestion the next time you do it update. What a wonderful app this is!
Horrible at best
This contains a basic English-language Bible, dictionary, and commentary - not exactly geared for serious study - in run-on unformatted hard-to-read text. If you want other more substantial add-ons, you're supposed to connect to some sort of module download system that they tell you - with emphasis - poses security risks, in order to download modules that they tell you beforehand are, in many cases, just junk.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jan 26, 2015
- Version: 1.4.7
- Size: 16.8 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Seller: Nic Carter
- © 2015 CrossWire Bible Society and Nic Carter
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.