By Nic Carter
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
PocketSword is a Bible Study app for the iPad, iPhone & iPod touch (iOS 3.0 and above) that is built upon the powerful SWORD backend developed by the CrossWire Bible Society.
Modules are available for download (offline use) within the app, with permission granted by the various copyright holders to CrossWire to distribute them for use in its apps. When you download this app, it comes with the KJV & Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Whole Bible pre-installed, but you can use the downloader within PocketSword (located under the More tab) to choose which additional modules you wish to download from CrossWire and have available for offline use.
There are free modules (both Bible translations and commentaries) available in over 60 languages, including (but not limited to):
English, Greek (modern and ancient), Hebrew, German, Dutch, French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese (simplified & traditional), Arabic, Afrikaans, Latin, Russian, Tagalog, Thai, Vietnamese and many more.
* Popular Bible translations available in the English language include:
KJV, AKJV, ASV, ESV, NET, Tyndale, WEB and Young's Literal Translation.
* Popular Commentaries available in the English language include:
Matthew Henry's Complete Commentary on the Whole Bible (as well as the "Concise" version), Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, John Wesley's Notes on the Bible, Abbot, Barnes, Geneva, Luther and more...
(See http://crosswire.org/sword/modules/ for a fuller list of the modules).
* Dictionaries are also available within PocketSword, including Easton's Bible Dictionary and Nave's Topical Bible Dictionary.
* Daily Devotionals are also available (under the More tab), including Spurgeon's Morning & Evening.
You can also choose to create your own modules, using the tools available from Crosswire, and install your modules directly from your computer to your iPhone.
The SWORD backend to PocketSword is very powerful and allows for a rich experience for the end user. Currently implemented are:
- Built-in module downloader of modules in many different languages
- Separate Bible, Commentary & Dictionary tabs for quick reference from one to the other: jump to a verse in one and it jumps to the same verse in the other
- Landscape & fullscreen modes
- Choose your font & font size for ease of reading
- Bookmark & History (of Bible & Commentary use) support
- Red Letter support & choice of reading Verse-Per-Line or using paragraphs.
- Night mode for easier reading in the dark
- Install custom-made modules (including those with non-KJV versification, commenly called "Alternative Versification" or av11n)
- Searching within Bibles and Commentaries
- Localisations in many languages.
- Copy and Paste support (of Bible verses, Commentary entries & Dictionary entries).
- Footnotes, cross-references & headings in modules that support them (ESV and KJV, for example)
- Strong's Numbers & Morphology in modules that support them
Follow us on Twitter @PocketSword
Please note that we cannot reply to questions you ask in reviews - email us or post a question on the user forums at:
What's New in Version 1.4.7
New in v1.4.7
- bug fixes for iOS 8
- (Bookmarking on iPad works again)
- (Module Maintainer Mode on iPad works again)
- (Full screen rotation on iPad works again)
- This release also comes with holidays love! Please keep the feedback coming & know that we do read all your emails – time may prevent an instant reply, though :/
- If you're enjoying PocketSword, please feel free to leave some review love as an App Store review :) These make us smile!
New in v1.4.6
- updated for iOS 8 (lots of under the hood improvements, too!)
- loads of bug fixes
- app should be even faster now with those under the hood improvements, giving you more time to actually read the Bible :)
- Minor update to the KJV module
- updated libsword to v1.7.3
- updated the module repositories
- iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus support
Excellent Bible study app
It offers different study methods as in commentaries, word search Greek and Hebrew word usage, dictionaries, etc, all linked together through Bible verses and opened separately in a different window but viewed together. The only thing I would suggest to offer in a future download: is the ability to open a second translation in a parallel view but in the same window of course.
My favorite Bible app
Includes the King James translation of God's holy word plus Strong's concordance. Easy switch allows turning Strong's on/off. Has advanced searching. Has good options for font size and such. I also installed Matthew Henry's Complete Commentary, which is easy to access once it's installed. I highly recommend this app.
Great app for all its various abilities, texts and uses. Only recently though, on my iPad and iPhone, the KJV and other versions claim I have no search next installed, and when I let it search to find one for me, the app crashes. Every time. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app, updated the KJV in the app, and it's still not fixing it. Also, it seems to need to crash every time I download a new biblical text.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jan 26, 2015
- Version: 1.4.7
- Size: 16.8 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Seller: Nic Carter
- © 2015 CrossWire Bible Society and Nic Carter
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.