Polar Beat – Sports & Fitness Coach
By Polar Electro
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Do you want to get slimmer, run faster, or go further? Since 1977 millions of people have used the expertise and guidance from Polar to reach their training goals. Now you can use this same know-how with Polar Beat, one of the greatest fitness apps in the world. Join hundreds of thousands of people who are already using it and turn your iPhone into your smart training companion.
***The Polar Beat acts like a personal trainer in your palm***
***...well designed user interface that looks pretty, and the functions work easily***
Polar Beat is at its best when used together with a Polar Bluetooth Smart heart rate sensor. Polar Beat is a training and exercise app that goes beyond just recording workouts. It actually interprets your workout data, so you’ll know what your body has achieved and what to do to meet your goals more effectively.
For training indoors or out – Polar Beat works from running and cycling to gym sessions and weightlifting.
PLAN your training before you get started
- Choose a training target – maybe you want to burn calories* or beat a time or distance record
- Choose your activity – Polar Beat is suitable for any exercise, indoors or out
TRAIN at the right intensity
- Meet your training goals with the help of real-time graphical and voice guidance
- Stay at the right intensity for the most effective workout*
- Track your distance, pace and route while walking, running or cycling
- Listen to music while training
ANALYZE and understand your training session
- See what you achieved with each workout – for example, whether you improved endurance, increased your strength, or burned fat*
- Understand the impact of your workout at different intensity levels*
- Get the most accurate calorie tracking – even while exercising indoors*
- Re-live your routes on the map and get motivation from weekly summaries
- Get a deeper insight into your training with Polar Flow, our brand new training community at polar.com/flow
SHARE your results with friends
- Keep your promises - or outdo others - and shout it out on Facebook and Twitter
- See your friends’ workouts and cheer them on
- Share and relive your routes with the exciting new video feature
* When used with the Polar H7 or H6 heart rate sensor. Please note: Polar Beat is designed to be used with Polar Bluetooth Smart sensors, the only sensors supported by iPhone 4S or later. It is not compatible with other Polar heart rate sensors or wrist units, which use a different transmission technology.
Discover more about Polar Beat at www.polar.com/beat
Please note: Continuous use of GPS can dramatically decrease your phone’s battery life.
What's New in Version 1.4.1
We've fine-tuned Polar Beat so that it runs smoothly with the new version of Polar Flow web service. There was a bug when using voice guidance, but it's gone now.
****Update: App still crashes constantly (this week I've done 8 workout sessions & the app crashed in the middle of 7 of them). It's unfortunate because it's a good app with great features but I'm training for a century & it's a pain to go through 2-3 sessions of data for one 20-mile ride. Switching back to MapMyFitness. Hopefully Polar fixes this & I'll switch back****
It works pretty well. It pairs with an H6 great & auto-uploads to Polar Flow seamlessly. The only issues I have are the occasional crashes & the voice guidance. I use it mainly for cycling & cross-training & the voice guidance gives next to no information which leaves me constantly looking at my phone to see my heart rate. Also, if you zone train the app only tells you your heart rate so you have to know your zones to adjust your intensity. I like the voice guidance & tracking screen of Digifit & MapMyFitness much better but they don't sync with Polar Flow, which I use for my Loop (& the Polar Flow app doesn't live track during workouts & you can only see data AFTER you're done). Overall, the app is okay but it definitely needs tweeks to compete with the other fitness apps out there.
See update at the end. First impressions: The app paired with the Polar H7 chest strap within seconds. The Polar Beat app is quite nifty looking, the synthesized voice is a bit grating but the data syncs seamlessly with the polarpersonaltrainer site. I am still struggling to find a way to get to the RR data which are the inter beat intervals between successive R peaks of the ECG waveform. Nearly all Polar heart rate monitors gather RR data but it is a bit unclear if the H7 supports this.
An update, June 3rd. The app remains in beta mode with frequent failures to upload, failure to connect and random crashes. Not quite ready for a runner who wants to rely on heart rate.
Update June 7th: I had problems getting any of my runs recorded on Polarbeat to upload to PolarPersonalTrainer for about a month. Pulling down the "sessions" tab to force a sync would crash the App. Well, I found the culprit today. An ill formed trace that showed a run lasting "inf" miles was the culprit. Once I deleted that one record all the other runs synced up and now cross post to PolarFlow as well quite nicely.
Good - but needs two fixes
****Please update the App****
Please - read user reviews and update the app based on input. Add a battery indicator - please!
As per my earlier review below, the lack of a battery indicator has been a problem. Recently my H7 sensor just stopped working, leaving me to troubleshoot Bluetooth connectivity, reinstalling the app, etc, only to discover the battery had gone dead.
I mentioned the inability to check the battery level in the app and Polar's response (I'm not kidding) was to take the sensor to a jeweler, and have them open the sensor to test the battery. Please - fix the stinking app already!
I'm using the app with an H7 on an iPhone 5, and overall the HRM works acceptably. However:
1) the GPS needs work - badly. It's inaccurate. I use two other GPS tracking apps, and both are in agreement on distance and map overlays from the GPS. However this app is *way* off the mark. One day it tracks the entire workout course, the next several days it tracks only about half. Shows the time of the workout accurately but not the distance or the map overlay - only tracking the first half or so.
2) the battery level indicator really needs to be added back. Period.
One enhancement request: show the current HR on each screen while you're "connected" or working out. Don't make me hunt for it.
Thanks for listening to customer feedback.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: Apr 29, 2014
- Version: 1.4.1
- Size: 17.7 MB
- Languages: English, German, Japanese, Spanish
- Seller: Polar Electro Oy
- © Polar Electro OY
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPad Wi-Fi (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi (4th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini Wi-Fi, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini with Retina display, iPad mini with Retina display Wi-Fi + Cellular, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Polar Fitness Test$3.99
- Smart Coaching upgrade$4.99
- Benefit Target$2.99
- Running Index$2.99