PolyNome gives you all the tools you need for practice, teaching, rhythm composing, and live performance.
The free Public Library provides hundreds of user-created Presets and practice routines to inspire you.
Please note: PolyNome Pro (also available on the App Store) is the exact same app, but with the Pro features already enabled. This version of the app requires an in-app purchase if you wish to enable the Pro Features (see below for details)
• Practice with full drum grooves instead of a boring click
• Program drum line parts with flams, drags, ties and rolls
• Download 100s of Presets and Playlists from the Public Library
• Share Presets/Playlists with friends/students (a great tool for music teachers)
• Create and print setlists and use it to count off songs.
• Upgrade to Pro and get voice counting, Konnakol, 6-octave keyboard, and more
• Faders for 16th notes, triplets
• Super fast tempo entry and Tap Tempo
• BIG NUMBERS
• Flams, Drags, Ruffs, Diddles, Rolls, Ties, Accents
• Haptic pulse (on supported devices)
• 2 fully programmable metronomes (any rhythm, sound, accent combinations)
• Program ANY rhythm from a simple click to a full groove (per metronome)
• Save your work as Presets
• Sorting, searching, and labelling helps keep your library tidy
• Variable swing setting
• Any time signature
• Auto stop with rep counter
• Countdown timer with alarm
• Practice Events are logged. You can add notes to your events
• Subdivisions from whole note to 32nd notes with EVERYTHING in between
• Smart Volume mixer
• Audiobus compatible
• AirTurn bluetooth pedal compatible
PRO FEATURES (available with in-app update)
• 150+ more sounds, including DrumLine
• 6 Octave Piano Keyboard for creating quick melodic ideas
• Konnakol Entry!
• Create band setlists with count-offs and song notes
• If you enter the lengths of the songs, PolyNome calculates the set length as you add them!
• Email or AirPrint perfectly formatted band set-lists right from PolyNome
• Create songs/clicks with multiple tempos or time signatures
• Create a "Cue Track" by turning on Auto Announce. This will announce each new item when it starts (or 1 bar before if you prefer)
• Create practice routines
• Auto tempo change options for creating quick warm-up/cool-down routines
• Tempo Boundaries allow you to automatically increase/decrease bpm between set tempos
• Advanced voice counting helps you when working on odd-time signatures
• Subdivision counting for 16th notes, triplets, or 8th notes
• PolyNome logs each preset you play, how long you played it for, and the tempo at which you played it
• View statistics and graphs showing you what you need to work on the most
• Add notes to the Daily Practice Log to help you remember how a practice session went
• Test your timing with random muting of notes or bars
PolyNome is used by the world's top musicians including Peter Erskine, Virgil Donati, Chris Coleman, Vinnie Colaiuta, Dave Weckl, Dennis Chambers and Will Lee.
What people are saying about PolyNome:
Peter Erskine (Steely Dan, Weather Report, Steps Ahead, Kate Bush):
“PolyNome is great for teaching, practicing and rehearsing. Tempo input by way of the number pad is a terrific feature, and the subdivision possibilities are endless. Plus, this is the only metronome I’ve used that you can actually LEARN from. Simple and brilliant: simply brilliant.”
Will Lee says...
"Wow! Polynome is a brilliant tool for drummers and any musician! It allows you to understand precisely what subdivisions among bars of time feel like, teaches you the drum rudiments, and so much more. I love "time check" where it'll leave bars of silence in between bars of click to see if your groove stays in time. One of the best apps for your toolkit!"
This update adds a few new features and squashes a few minor bugs that found their way into v2.4.0. Thanks for using PolyNome, and Happy New Year!
- Control Swing by tapping on a metronome and choosing the Swing option. You can choose between 8th and 16th swing.
- Select a rate (up to 32) by using the new buttons at the right end of each row.
- Enter any number of notes over any other number (like 5 notes in the space of 7) using the X:Y button at the bottom of the Edit Pattern page.
- Check out the new Singing Bowls sounds. They’re great for meditation practice using the new Meditation demo Preset!
- Improved performance and faster loading of the Edit Pattern page on older iPhones.
PolyNome in Action
I always love to see what all you talented folks are doing with PolyNome. Be sure to tag @PolyNomeApp in your posts and videos using the app. You can easily record your screen in iOS 11+ (google it). I watch them all and sometimes repost!
Ratings and Reviews
If you're reading the reviews
Just get the app already. It is quite nice, really. If you just need a basic metronome, it does that. If you want something more, it does that too. Very well. It's had a considerable amount of forethought put into every aspect. From ease of user interface for nubes to intricately involved options for the advanced time-keeping applications. I took all of my old metronome apps off of my new iPhone and installed them on my old iPhone and shot it with my .38 then destroyed what was left of it with hydrochloric acid. As should you. This is the most well maintained, constantly updated, content rich application in the history (and more than likely, the future) of the app store. It surely is in the Gueniss Book of World Records. Or it should be. When the cyborgenic aliens finally DO annihilate us, this is the one singular human thing they’ll find worthy of not destroying. That’s assuming they don’t chance upon Heroin first, which destroys everything.
Best metronome app I’ve ever seen
For me, the price that you pay for this app is worth every single cent. It is very versatile. For one thing, the variety of sounds included in this app makes it so that you can always find a sound that you can hear over what you’re playing. For another, the ability to play two independent patterns allows for the creation of complex polyrhythms or really intricate drum beats. Additionally, the playlist function allows you to create large, non-repetitive passages. These three features have been invaluable to me when learning percussion parts because it allows me to seamlessly switch between meters. On a few occasions, have even programmed whole sections of my part so I can play along slowly. The interface does take a little getting used to, especially on smaller screens, but once you get used to it it’s very easy to use. By far the best metronome app I have found.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the review, and for pointing out the issue with remembering the inc/dec state. That will be fixed in the next update.
Please contact me via the help page in the app to discuss the other issue - I'd like to get to the bottom of that.
Great Metronome! It even has Tap Tempo Entry!
This metronome has everything that a drummer could need, including a very easy to use Tap Tempo Entry! Click on the tempo display and a pop-up menu with "tap" at the top shows up. I'm really impressed with the ability to run two different tempo's at the same time. The program is laid out so well, I was able to learn most of the features in just a matter of minutes. It's extremely stable with no lock-up's or crashes, and the tempo's are 100% rock solid! I'm a professional drummer and must have a product that I can count on, I can honestly say that this is a GREAT metronome that you can count on!
- Polynome Ltd
- 78.9 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2018 Joe Crabtree
- In-App Purchases
- Pro Upgrade $11.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.