PolyNome gives you all the tools you need for practice, teaching, rhythm composing, and live performance.
The free Public Library provides hundreds of user-created Presets and practice routines to inspire you.
Please note: PolyNome Pro (also available on the App Store) is the exact same app, but with the Pro features already enabled. This version of the app requires an in-app purchase if you wish to enable the Pro Features (see below for details)
• Practice with full drum grooves instead of a boring click
• Program drum line parts with flams, drags, ties and rolls
• Download 100s of Presets and Playlists from the Public Library
• Share Presets/Playlists with friends/students (a great tool for music teachers)
• Create and print setlists and use it to count off songs.
• Upgrade to Pro and get voice counting, Konnakol, 6-octave keyboard, and more
• Faders for 16th notes, triplets
• Super fast tempo entry and Tap Tempo
• BIG NUMBERS
• Flams, Drags, Ruffs, Diddles, Rolls, Ties, Accents
• Haptic pulse (on supported devices)
• 2 fully programmable metronomes (any rhythm, sound, accent combinations)
• Program ANY rhythm from a simple click to a full groove (per metronome)
• Save your work as Presets
• Sorting, searching, and labelling helps keep your library tidy
• Variable swing setting
• Any time signature
• Auto stop with rep counter
• Countdown timer with alarm
• Practice Events are logged. You can add notes to your events
• Subdivisions from whole note to 32nd notes with EVERYTHING in between
• Smart Volume mixer
• Audiobus compatible
• AirTurn bluetooth pedal compatible
PRO FEATURES (available with in-app update)
• 150+ more sounds, including DrumLine
• 6 Octave Piano Keyboard for creating quick melodic ideas
• Konnakol Entry!
• Import setlists from Tempo or Tempo Adv
• Create band setlists with count-offs and song notes
• If you enter the lengths of the songs, PolyNome calculates the set length as you add them!
• Email or AirPrint perfectly formatted band set-lists right from PolyNome
• Create songs/clicks with multiple tempos or time signatures
• Create a "Cue Track" by turning on Auto Announce. This will announce each new item when it starts (or 1 bar before if you prefer)
• Create practice routines
• Auto tempo change options for creating quick warm-up/cool-down routines
• Tempo Boundaries allow you to automatically increase/decrease bpm between set tempos
• Advanced voice counting helps you when working on odd-time signatures
• Subdivision counting for 16th notes, triplets, or 8th notes
• PolyNome logs each preset you play, how long you played it for, and the tempo at which you played it
• View statistics and graphs showing you what you need to work on the most
• Add notes to the Daily Practice Log to help you remember how a practice session went
• Test your timing with random muting of notes or bars
PolyNome is used by the world's top musicians including Peter Erskine, Virgil Donati, Chris Coleman, Vinnie Colaiuta, Dave Weckl, Dennis Chambers and Will Lee.
What people are saying about PolyNome:
Peter Erskine (Steely Dan, Weather Report, Steps Ahead, Kate Bush):
“PolyNome is great for teaching, practicing and rehearsing. Tempo input by way of the number pad is a terrific feature, and the subdivision possibilities are endless. Plus, this is the only metronome I’ve used that you can actually LEARN from. Simple and brilliant: simply brilliant.”
Will Lee says...
"Wow! Polynome is a brilliant tool for drummers and any musician! It allows you to understand precisely what subdivisions among bars of time feel like, teaches you the drum rudiments, and so much more. I love "time check" where it'll leave bars of silence in between bars of click to see if your groove stays in time. One of the best apps for your toolkit!"
2.4.6 brings some great new features and improvements to PolyNome.
The summary is below. Check "What's New In 2.4.6" in the in-app Help for further details.
- MIDI device control, including Bluetooth MIDI pedals (in Preferences - > Remote Devices)
- Import Setlists from Tempo and Tempo Advance!
Share them from the Tempo/Tempo Advance app and email them to yourself. Then tap on the file in the email and choose to open with PolyNome.
- Copy multiple Playlist items to your Preset Library (for re-use in other Playlists) by selecting them in Edit mode and choosing "Copy Missing To Preset Library" from the Actions menu.
They'll be labelled with the name of the Playlist so you can easily filter on them.
- On the Playlist page, if you select an item and choose "Add Count In" from the + menu, it now adds a named count in with voice counting before the selected item.
- You can set Playlist items to SKIP when reached. This is great for Count Ins that you only want to hear the first time the Playlist loops. Set this by tapping the gear button of the relevant item, or by selecting multiple items and choosing "AutoAdvance Options" from the Actions menu.
- When Met 2 is empty, there's a new option when you tap on it to "Copy Met 1 to Met 2". Useful if you've entered a rhythm and you need more than 2 lines of sounds.
- When in a Playlist and you tap the "rep" button on the main screen, it will loop the current pattern.
- Prompt about unsaved changes when entering Playlist Manager or Creating New preset to stop you accidentally losing changes.
- Taller flashing blocks at the top of the screen.
Enjoy these new features.
If you have time to leave (or update) an App Store review, it's much appreciated and really helps with future development.
Any questions, just get in touch via the App.
Thanks for using PolyNome!
Ratings and Reviews
Paradigm Shifting Metronome & Metronomic Learning Tool
This app can change your life on any instrument. It has any choice of sounds, subdivision overlay faders, two separate rhythm entries plus with two Lines each that can reflect the selected sticking from multiple sounds in each limb, polyrhtmic and counting full screen visuals, online public community library of presets and playlists, playlists that cycle presets and sub presets, setlists, the list goes on, on. The bottom line is if you’re in anyway interested in the world of rhythm, this app is worth every cent. We have a lot to be grateful for from drummer Joe Crabtree, it’s sole developer. Have a new idea or an issue with the app? He’ll hear you out and address it. This app is almost perfect as is, albeit with a relative learning curve that pays dividends (aided by joe’s vast video tutorials linked within the app and beyond). This app will only continue to grow in scope and sweetened layout ergonomics. With this tool, our learning is only limited by our imagination and discipline. Thanks Joe.
If you're reading the reviews
Just get the app already. It is quite nice, really. If you just need a basic metronome, it does that. If you want something more, it does that too. Very well. It's had a considerable amount of forethought put into every aspect. From ease of user interface for nubes to intricately involved options for the advanced time-keeping applications. I took all of my old metronome apps off of my new iPhone and installed them on my old iPhone and shot it with my .38 then destroyed what was left of it with hydrochloric acid. As should you. This is the most well maintained, constantly updated, content rich application in the history (and more than likely, the future) of the app store. It surely is in the Gueniss Book of World Records. Or it should be. When the cyborgenic aliens finally DO annihilate us, this is the one singular human thing they’ll find worthy of not destroying. That’s assuming they don’t chance upon Heroin first, which destroys everything.
Best metronome app I’ve ever seen
For me, the price that you pay for this app is worth every single cent. It is very versatile. For one thing, the variety of sounds included in this app makes it so that you can always find a sound that you can hear over what you’re playing. For another, the ability to play two independent patterns allows for the creation of complex polyrhythms or really intricate drum beats. Additionally, the playlist function allows you to create large, non-repetitive passages. These three features have been invaluable to me when learning percussion parts because it allows me to seamlessly switch between meters. On a few occasions, have even programmed whole sections of my part so I can play along slowly. The interface does take a little getting used to, especially on smaller screens, but once you get used to it it’s very easy to use. By far the best metronome app I have found.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the review, and for pointing out the issue with remembering the inc/dec state. That will be fixed in the next update.
Please contact me via the help page in the app to discuss the other issue - I'd like to get to the bottom of that.
- Polynome Ltd
- 72.9 MB
Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2019 PolyNome LTD
- In-App Purchases
- Pro Upgrade $11.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.