By Tension Software
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Power Utility is an application that let your Mac, when unattended, to:
basing all on specific conditions or on time schedules.
( SEE ALL OUR APPS. WE HAVE 25 APPS HERE ON THE APP STORE! )
As example you can:
• Start a download of a big file via Safari in the evening and Power Utility will watch the download and will shutdown your Mac in the night when the download via Safari (or other browsers) is finished.
• Have your mac shutdown unattended any friday at 10 PM
• Set your mac to restart any month on day 15 at 3.30 AM
• Set your set all the Mac of your office to go in sleep mode if the word SLEEP is found in a specified web page, and updating this page in remote you can control all those machines.
• Set to logout the current user at 6 PM any day, switching to the login window.
• Set a mac to start, launch an array of applications, then logout the current user leaving all the apps launched, running in background in the logged out account.
• Launch Power Utility from iCal and in that way use it via iCal schedules
• Specify a warning time and Power Utility will change it's window showing that the planned event is going to be launched.
• Define an external app or document to be launched at warning time.
All this using standard controls anyone can use, no coding required. (see the pictures showing Power Utility in action and during setup)
If in background, Power Utility jumps in the dock to alert you of the upcoming action.
Power Utility is made to be simple and easy to use for any mac user.
Date time is visualized according with your country settings and local time
After a fast setup, the window shows you the action to be performed, when and how much time remaining to the event, updated live.
Provides a standard help
Includes an embedded PDF user guide
Fully compatible with OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.6.6 Snow Leopard
If you need a more powerful app to execute unattended tasks with multiple rules and a lot of features, please have a look at Cronette.
Click here on the App Store on 'More by Tension Software' and select Cronette
I'm not impressed.
One of the problems with Mac OS X's Energey Saver -> Schedule… is that it only allows you one sleep rule and one wake rule. I was hoping that this app would allow you to create multiple rules: some based on schedules, some based on events, etc. But it doesn't. It only lets you create one rule at a time. It can be a much more sophisticated rule that OS X allows natively, which I guess is nice. But there's only one rule.
That means that if you want to use it for a special purpose -- e.g., shut down after download -- you have to give up your regular rule. That's pretty annoying. I suppose that, when coupled with OS X's capabilities, you now have the possiblity of two simulataneous rules. I guess that's something. But I'm still disappointed.
To be fair, the description doesn't say that you can create multiple rules simultaneously. But it doesn't say you can't, and it sounds to me like you probably can. But you can't. Since all I want is to create more complex schedules, and I don't need the extra flexibility, this utility does very little for me. It's not worth a space on my dock.
For anyone looking for an app to shut down your Mac after a download, I guess this is your app.
Read support documentation to determine if this will meet your needs
With more experience, I've downgraded this to an okay program. It will allow you to define a variable based shut down, but you can't nest them and it seems like it often becomes "action disabled."
- Category: Utilities
- Released: Mar 07, 2011
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 1.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Tension Software s.a.s.
- © 2011 Tension Software
Compatibility: OS X 10.6.6 or later