By Pearson School Systems
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
One of the fastest growing classroom management solutions is now available for the iPad.
PowerTeacher Mobile works with PowerSchool, the fastest-growing, most widely used student information system, supporting more than 10 million students in all 50 states and 65 countries.
PowerTeacher Mobile untethers teachers from their desktop or laptop and allows them to record scores and make observations while roaming the classroom, gymnasium, blacktop, science lab or even on a field trip.**
* Post assignments and scores to parents and students in real-time
* Create, update, and manage assignments
* Record scores for assignments
* View and update class and group metrics (mean, median, mode)
* Record or auto-calculates student final grade
* Mass fill scores for assignments
* Enter comments and score codes for assignments
* Review class rosters
* Access student demographics
* Access student alerts
* Send email to student contacts
* View student photos from the office
* View scoresheet for student groups
* Create, update, and manage assignment categories
* Review grade scales
* Reporting terms to filter assignments and final grades
* Integrated help
* Secure login
* School Locator
* Synchronize with the PowerTeacher web grade book
* Virtual Chalkboard
Your school district must be using the PowerSchool, PowerSchool SMS or Chancery SMS student information systems. If you are not sure what student information system your school is using, contact your school.
1. PowerTecher Mobile requires PowerSchool version 7.5.0+, PowerSchool SMS 8.0 or Chancery SMS 7.6.0.
2. Mobile access is controlled by school administration.
3. Requires a wireless connection or mobile data plan
What's New in Version 1.4
* Teacher can now take Single Day Attendance (with PowerSchool 7.5+)
* Final Grade Setup feature
* School Announcements (Bulletins) feature
* Improved performance - 40-60% faster when loading classes (with PowerSchool 7.2.2+)
* Virtual chalkboard improvements
* Feedback/Request feature option
* New icon and improved UI experience
* Resolved a crashing issue on the original iPad when loading a large section
* Various bug fixes
* Improved performance - 25% faster when loading classes
* Grade book now remembers and loads the last selected term and class
* Instant final grade calculation
* Virtual chalkboard added to Teacher Tools
* Maximum comment length now matches the limit set by administrators
* Create, edit and delete student groups
* New name display options for LAST, FIRST or FIRST, LAST and middle names
* Resized student photos for iPad retina displays
* Passcode lock option
* Student info now includes enroll and exit dates for each student
* Student info now includes the grade scale and grade scale detail associated with each student
* Various bug fixes
Not horrible, BUT not great either
Overall, this app does what I need it to do...input grades. However, sometimes it will crash on me. (I will say that mine doesn't seem to crash as often as other reviewers here, but it will crash every now and then.) I have two things about this app. 1. I can't copy assignments to other classes. I have learned to put in my assignments while I'm on my laptop so I can quickly copy them to other classes, because there isn't possible while in the app. It's just one more step that I have to do to input my grades. This is EXTREMELY frustrating! However, it is nice to be able to input grades while I am doing other things in the class. I am no longer tied to my desk, so that is very helpful. My second thing about this app is that I wish it was also available for my iPhone. I would love to have access to my gradebook at ALL times. The iPad that I have belongs to the school and I don't bring it home, so it would be nice to quickly access my gradebook from my phone, and update my students grades from there, as well. I tried to do this, but I couldn't get it to work. They have PowerSchool for Students and PowerSchool for Parents available, but not the one for teachers! I hope that they consider making this app available for the iPhone! It would give me another way to access my grades, and input them even easier. PLEASE!!
There are several features that should be included in the app that are currently not available.
- The current grading term should always pop up. It is frustrating if I have to change the reporting term any time I change a class, or scroll through a bunch of assignments to add in a recent grade.
- The seating chart should be available. It is easiest to take attendance while looking at the seating chart. It is available on the desktop, but not the app. It should transfer over.
- The comment bank that is available for each district on the desktop version should also be available on the app. I can't do my comments at the end of each quarter from my iPad, which means I have to stay at school late instead of inputting comments from the comfort of my own home.
- As others have already pointed out, the copy assignment feature should also be available. Many people teach more than one class, and it is helpful to simply create one assignment and copy the details from one class to the next.
Worked wonderfully…then crashed!!!
I have a MacBook Pro at home and - due to the problems Apple is having with Java - am unable to open PowerTeacher at home to do grades. Thus, I am only able to do grades at school during my one prep a day which is, needless to say, very difficult to do. Then the PowerTeacher App came along! I was so excited to put grades into my grade book WHILE I was walking around the classroom checking student work. I was no longer tied to my desk in order to put grades in the grade book (and, honestly, how often does a teacher get to sit behind a desk during the day?).
Then - all of a sudden - BOOM! The app crashed on me one day while trying to open it in class. 25 students staring blankly at me while I fumbled with my iPad in the front of the classroom. I had to grab a pen and post-it to check homework that day - then go back to my desk to put them in the grade book. It stunk. The app, once crashed, will never open for you again. It is just taking up space on my iPad. This is such a sad story, since I was ready to sing its praises to my colleagues throughout the school….
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Updated: Nov 26, 2012
- Version: 1.4
- Size: 36.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: NCS Pearson Inc. (Pearson School Systems)
- © 2015 PowerSchool Group LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.