At the end of the 70s Wolfgang Palm developed wavetable synthesis. This was very successful and used by many synthesizer companies in the 80s and 90s. But this technology has its limitations. The main reason is that all sounds are harmonic. In nature this does not happen very often. Many sounds like a piano string have small offsets from the harmonic frequencies. This is even stronger in sounds like bells or percussion.
Infinite overcomes this limitation.
The frequencies of the overtones created by Infinite can be totally freely defined. So the sounds it produces are totally free in the frequencies of their overtones. This means that each partial wave can have an arbitrary frequency.
Moreover it is possible to move these overtones independently during the duration of a note.
Another important part of most natural sounds is noise. Be it a flute or when a drumstick hits the drumhead - and this all can be reproduced in Infinite.
Furthermore the noise source can be used to modulate the tonal part which results in very powerful effects.
Besides these new digital features, we still have the typical 24db Lowpass filter, 2 VCA with stereo out and effects. All this is controlled by 10 envelopes, 4 LFOs and a modulation matrix.
• New system which can synthesize harmonic and inharmonic sounds
• Morpher - X/Y controller which morphes 5 user selectable sine resources
• Noiser - X/Y controller morphing 3 noise resources and performing modulations
• Molder - acts as a digital filter with any amaginable filter sweeps
• Two detail editor pages for the Sine resources featuring a 3D display
• Import WTS and TCS files from the iPad WaveGenerator and WaveMapper
• Import Phonem utterances and use them in the Infinite Molder
• Versatile matrix system - allowing 16 sources to control 40 parameters
• 10 Envelopes, for control of filter sweeps, waveform, noise and many modulations
• 4 LFOs which can be freely routed via the matrix
• Delay/Reverb effect
• Overdrive/Distortion effect
• A/B compare your edited sounds
• AU extension - run multiple Infinite instances in AU hosts
• IAA - inter-app audio support
• Audiobus 2 with statesaving
• Export audio to AudioShare
• Preset browser with new listing filters
• Directly accessible context help for each module
• Freely configurable schematic keypads
• 4 Keypads play modes: Poly, Mono, Legato and Multitrigger
• 4 MIDI modes: Omni, Poly, Mono, and Voice-Per-Channel
Fixes AU-extension state saving error
Fixes a rare problem in the AU-extension with some hosts
Ratings and Reviews
Very cool app, though I do not understand everything about it, it is very fun to play with, to just mess around and make random sounds. It has a pretty good size list of presets, some are really good, some I don’t find all that great, but for only 20 dollars this is a really good deal, even if all the presets were bad. There is just so much functionality built into this app and sound design possibilities. Thanks Wolfgang for releasing this app!
Also there is help built into the menus of the app that will teach you how certain things function and can get you on your way but if you really want to learn you might want to watch videos and learn from the presets of which there are also “tutorial presets”
Moving, Relaxing, Complex!
Why didn’t I buy this sooner? This will stay on my Main Synth page of apps... (of which I have 5 full paid pages of synths) 20 apps per page, along side Model 15, SynthScaper, Nave, LayR, KASPAR, Zeeon, iSEM, TC-11, Sunrizer, iMini ect...ect...This is truly as complex as Nave, and Audulus 3 But can be as simple as Magellan!
I get that some people love Poseidon, or SynthMaster for their ease of use and great sound, but I want all the control... I want it over EVERY aspect of the sound. You can make this sound have a sheen and polished effect, or grundy and dirty as iSEM.
If you love all the complexities of what ISO instruments can do, and you have been trying to decide, go ahead you will not regret it.
Organic, Lush, Otherworldly
If you need that kind of sound. Through & through it's a PPG.
Programming is reasonable, sound is spectacular, has convinced me to buy the VSTi. Very complex editing. Will make for nice layers with my PPG & Waldorf VSTi's & the Waldorf Quantum that uses PPG wavetables. Throw in my TI Snow, Rack XL & JD-990 & put the VSTi's in KORE 2. Layer it all together in my DAW & I'll be even a happier sound designer 👩🎨
In iOS, PPG synths will compliment quite nicely with Waldorf, Nave. Audiobus, an iOS DAW, whatever you like,.. Infinite should always be part of your iOS mix!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.