Practical English Usage is a world bestseller and a vital reference tool that helps teachers and higher-level learners with common language problems in English.
Practical English Usage provides instant answers to questions about the English language which both native and non-native speakers of English find difficult to explain: When do we use a past tense with a future meaning? When and why do English speakers use 'the'? Do I say 'big', 'large', or 'great'? What exactly is the difference between 'close' and 'shut'? How do I read out an email address?
The Practical English Usage app:
• Deals with spoken and written grammar, vocabulary, spelling, pronunciation, and differences between formal and informal language.
• Contains over 600 indexed entries covering all the important problems for learners of English.
• Offers clear simple explanations with corpus-informed examples.
• Includes notes on background topics such as letters and emails, politeness, standardisation and dialect grammar, the meaning of 'correctness', differences between spoken and written English, and changes in English.
• Covers differences between British and American English.
• Includes audio for the pronunciation discussed in the text.
• Access entries through the very complete Index, either by scrolling through the list or by keying in the language point you want to look up – e.g. future, conditionals, 'have'.
• Browse through the thematically-organised Contents Overview and the A-Z list of entries.
• Navigate immediately between related entries through the many cross-references.
• Create your own list of favourite entries.
• Go to ‘History’ to view your recent searches.
You can use the Practical English Usage app together with the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary app to look up words. Just tap on a word in Practical English Usage to bring up the dictionary entry.
We have fixed a crash issue reported by some users.
Ratings and Reviews
iPhone X support, please.
It would be great if you can add support to iPhone X. Thank you.
Better than the book
The app has the same contents as the book but
better than the book because I can change the
font size. It is much easier to read and search
and carry it around on the IPad and Iphone.
Amazing, but where is the "don't say it!" list?
Easy to use and easy to find whatever you want. Really useful. Much better than having the book.
Where is the "don't say it!" list?
- Oxford University Press ELT
- 33.4 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © 2012 Oxford University Press
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.