By Belight Software, ltd
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
-20% Offer [Regular $49.99 USD]
MacFormat Choice - "It’s our budget DTP app of choice – you won’t get more for your money anywhere else at this price."
Printworks covers all of your desktop publishing and page layout needs on your Mac. And by all, we mean all. From brochures and calendars to CD labels and beautiful, professional business cards.
What can you create with Printworks?
Page Layout Projects
Brochures, flyers, catalogs, newsletters, menus, letterheads, posters
Discs and Media
CD and DVD labels, covers, tray inserts, folding booklets, VHS covers
Business cards, name badges, placeholder cards, CD and DVD cards, discount cards
Labels & Envelopes
Address labels, envelopes, shipping labels, barcode labels, file folder labels, UPC and other barcode labels
Calendars, greeting cards, postcards, certificates, invitations, thanks you notes
● Pixel-perfect, 100% Retina-ready user interface
● Over 400 professionally designed, fully customizable document templates
● Take advantage of over 2,000 included clipart images (40,000 available via In-App Purchase)
● Spread text from column to column or page to page with flowing text boxes
● Create artsy document headings and text art with the Heading Editor
● Type text along the edges of a disc using the Circular Text tool
● Configure text style templates that can be applied with just one click
● Insert and edit tables right inside your Printworks document
● Design your documents using extensive design, layout, and text formatting toolkits
● Create master pages that work as background design templates for multi-page documents
● Edit photos with over 80 image filters using the built-in image editor powered by Image Tricks
● Manage complex designs thanks to the app’s layer-based workflow
● Lay out your document using permanent guides, smart guides with object snapping, and automatic grid
● Automatically print out labels for multiple contacts with the mail merge feature
● Quickly populate business cards with contact information imported right from Apple Contacts
● Import photos and album information directly from iPhoto or Aperture
● Import a list of music tracks right from iTunes for music discs
● Generate QR Code, UPC-A/E, Code 39, and other barcodes with embedded data from a text file
● Support for thousands of popular label and card papers by Avery, Neato, Memorex, and others
● Support for multiple direct-to-disc printers
● Set up bleeds, DPI, and cut marks
● Export to TIFF, JPEG, EPS, and PDF to send to a print shop
What's New in Version 1.2.1
• Image search in the Internet has been fixed - it is launched in the Web browser.
• New image quality setting added to PDF export setting: 72 DPI (Screen).
• Fixed scrolling in the Masks panel under El Capitan.
• Barcodes based on data from text files or counters generate correctly.
• Images inserted into the document from the Source panel are now centered properly.
• Dynamic Fields now export to PDF correctly with the “Convert text to curves” option enabled.
• The Copy/Paste commands now work for Dynamic Fields inside text boxes.
• Other minor fixes and improvements.
Text editing is buggy, but otherwise usable publishing tool
For most projects, Printworks gets the job done. It has the minimum required layout and design tools. It lacks certain features that would nice to have: widow and orphan control, balanced columns, multiple column text box (you have to use separate text boxes). Export to PDF doesn't have an option to generate black & white which can be problematic for pre-press work.
Some existing features could work better: interacting with the print dialog is horrendously slow, image filters are cumbersome to use (and don't play well with each other), text styles are paragraph only and don't update automatically (you have to reapply the style sheet), object wrap doesn’t always work correctly, text spacing only works within the paragraph not between paragraphs, and linked text boxes are a royal pain to navigate with the keyboard. Many parts of the app are quirky (i.e. buggy, especially text editing). It is very stable though (as long as you don't turn on hyphenation which brings the app to a crawl).
Buggy and missing key features.
I wish this app were better. There just aren’t any decent, but reasonably priced, multi-page publishing tools out there right now. This is one of the better options, but it’s got some serious bugs when editing text across linked frames. Type will often disappear or get inserted at the beginning of the document.
The type and color controls are pretty basic (mostly built on top of the standard OS tools), there’s no support for importing vector graphics other than PDF, there are no real stylesheets (the Styles menu is only a shortcut for applying a style — editing it doesn’t update the document). Updates don’t seem to come out very often, and they never fix anything important. I had hoped that this app could be a suitable, if very basic, replacement for InDesign, but it seems we’ll have to wait for someone else to make it happen.
Best DTP In the App Store
I have purchased almost every DTP available in the App Store. This one is hands down the best. It is like Swift Publisher (made by the same company also) with everything Swift is missing that causes it not to be elite. It has far more design capability, far more tools, and far more flexibility than anything else you will find in this price range. It would be dishonest to say that it has allowed me to delete Adobe InDesign or Photoshop, but I can say I only use those power draining processor consuming programs for very advanced design now. Everything I want to do personally is easily done within PrintWorks.
- Category: Graphics & Design
- Updated: Feb 17, 2016
- Version: 1.2.1
- Size: 281 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
- Seller: Belight Software, ltd
- © 2016 BeLight Software
Compatibility: OS X 10.8.5 or later, 64-bit processor
Top In-App Purchases
- 40,000 images$9.99