Protagoras gives you fast and convenient access to no fewer than six indispensable classics reference works: the magisterial lexica by Liddell-Scott-Jones and Lewis and Short, the respective intermediate and elementary versions of the above works, and two specialized works (Autenrieth's Homeric Dictionary and Slater's Lexicon to Pindar). All six are included with the app free of charge, and feature powerful searching capabilities and the ability to view cited texts on the Perseus Digital Library.
- Browse any of the dictionaries painlessly by section, or search for entries directly. Search for Greek entries using the built-in Greek keyboard, Latin transliteration, or standard Beta Code.
- Viewing an entry will automatically bring up cross-referenced entries. (Note that this is not perfect yet.)
- View the text of cited passages on the Perseus Digital Library.
- Search any dictionary for words whose definition includes a specific English term.
- Bookmark entries you find yourself returning to frequently, and use the history feature to jump back to recently-viewed entries.
- iPad keyboard shortcuts have been added for a number of navigation- and entry-related actions.
- Now includes an "Export Vocabulary" option, accessible via the Share button, that will export the headwords and short definitions of recently-viewed (or bookmarked) entries to iCloud. These can then be imported into any flash-card program that accepts tab-delimited text files.
- Short definitions are now included for many more entries that lack straightforward glosses.
Ratings and Reviews
Easily the best app for Greek and Latin lexica.
Greek Prof. here. Don’t waste your money on other dictionary apps. I recommend this app to my students and use it for myself because of its simple UI, impressive speed, and powerful search capabilities. While usefully made available offline, entries are also linked to Perseus texts for convenient browser viewing. The bookmarking and new export vocab app are wonderful tools for Flashcard making...I cannot believe this feature set is free!
Also: You can search for English headwords, which makes composing Ancient Greek on the fly a total breeze. Seriously though, this is not just a niche feature, as it has saved my goose numerous times when I need to find synonyms or am exploring networks of meaning or ancient discourses on x topic.
Finally: My research specialty is Pindar. I cannot express how singularly awesome it is that Slater’s full Lexicon is on here, as that text is both extortionately expensive and unwieldy to lug around to whatever remote island where I happen to be toiling away...
In sum: the dev must be commended for a serving such a pleasant and comprehensive lexical experience, which will meet the needs of both the student and the professional.
Excellent, but the most useful feature just vanished
This app is about the best I’ve found for Latin and Ancient Greek lexical resources. It has been well worth the money.
However, a little more than two months ago, the English to Latin/Greek search feature just disappeared. I can no longer search for an English word and get back Latin and Greek lexical entries in which that English word appears. For me, this was in fact the best feature of the app.
I’ve deleted and reinstalled more times than I care to count and I’ve tried changing all of the settings, even though they are few in number and completely unrelated to the problem.
I want to give this app the five stars it used to deserve, but, until the problem is fixed, I can only offer two.
Thanks for the feedback. This happened because iOS 11 changed the way search bars were laid out, so that the buttons to select the type of search were actually appearing directly *behind* the search field (instead of below it as they should have been). I've just submitted a new/fixed version for review and it should hopefully be available within the next couple days.
Really excellent resource
Thanks for a great app when I need a quick lookup. An easy and clean interface make it immensely useful.
*a parsing feature would really make this app complete, but it is tremendously useful as it is.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.