“ProtonMail offers encrypted email, which makes it virtually impossible for anyone to read it except the sender and the recipient.” Wall Street Journal
ProtonMail is the world’s largest encrypted email service with over 1 million users. The ProtonMail secure email app for iPhone and iPad brings easy-to-use email encryption to your mobile device by seamlessly integrating PGP end-to-end encryption. ProtonMail also provides a modern user interface with a full set of innovative features such as customizable swipe gestures and the ability to send expiring emails.
Since we were founded by CERN scientists in 2013, we have been joined by citizens from around the globe who have supported our mission to protect online privacy. Our mobile app was made possible by a record-breaking $550,000 donation campaign. With the ProtonMail app, you can now create your own free ProtonMail email account and start experiencing the secure email of the future.
Why use ProtonMail?
• Ensure your emails stay private and cannot be intercepted or disclosed to third parties
• End-to-end encryption, OpenPGP compatible
• Easy-to-use: encryption is done automatically and is completely invisible to the user
• Zero-access: all messages are stored in encrypted format—not even ProtonMail can read your messages
• Open source: ProtonMail's encryption is open to inspection by security experts from around the world
• Free: ProtonMail is 100% free, no catches.
• Swiss privacy and neutrality: ProtonMail is hosted entirely in Switzerland, under the protection of the world's strongest privacy laws
With the ProtonMail app, you can:
• Create a new @protonmail.com email address with automatic PGP key creation and management
• Send and receive encrypted emails and attachments automatically
• Set timers for messages to self-destruct after sending
• Quickly organize emails with customizable swipe gestures and labels
• Get push notification of new emails
• Send password protected encrypted emails to non-ProtonMail email addresses
ProtonMail in the press:
“ProtonMail is a gmail-like email system which uses end-to-end encryption, making it impossible for outside parties to monitor.” Forbes
“A new email service being developed by a group from MIT and CERN promises to bring secure, encrypted email to the masses and keep sensitive information away from prying eyes.” Huffington Post
* Full PGP-Sending support
* Encrypted push notifications
* Create pdf and print feature
* Fixed crashes when forwarding the message
* Fixed changing password issue
* Fixed blank content when forwarding/replying to a message
* Fixed unable to remove an email address from a contact if the contact only has one email address
* Fixed incorrect error message when creating the label with the same name as a folder
* Fixed sometimes app doesn't show an error message when sending
* Fixed the display name overlaps with carrier name
* Fixed PGP messages in plain text are missing newlines
* Fixed line breaks issue when replying to a message
* Fixed unable to open some .PKPASS files
* Fixed the text overlapping in message
* Fixed FaceID text and icon on iPhone X
* Fixed the email can't be sent if the app is sent to the background
* Improved encrypt outside UI when user forgets to set the password
* Upgrade API to V3
* Corrected some language
* Changed the tag color in AllMail
* Improved composer contact autocomplete
* Improved contacts local cache
* Improved email address verification
* improved reply/reply all button when using a different language
* Improved sent message flow to reduce complexity
* Improved URLs in a plaintext message are now clickable
* New warning view in mobile signature view
* Ability to make the phone call from Contacts
* Improved some UI text issues in some languages
General bug fixes and improvements
Ratings and Reviews
THE ONLY SECURE ENCRYPTED EMAIL SERVERS STILL AVAILABLE IN US
Unlike most Americans, who live in the fantasy and fictitious “democracy” of the United States, oblivious to the fact that the US is neither democratic nor free but just so brainwashed they’re too incapable of understanding the real meaning of freedom, those of us who do believe in such principles as liberty and equality that are fundamental to America’s fictitious Constitution know how difficult it is to enjoy such ideals. ProtonMail is the only truly secure and end-to-end encrypted email services legally accessible in America’s highly censored and constantly watched internetwork. They do have a free version. Having used ProtonMail now for a few months, it’s definitely the real deal. God I just feel so sorry for all those ignorant Americans who use Gmail and totally ok with corporations stealing their data. And just so all you dumb, uneducated people know, things like cookies and two-factor authorization are not increasing security but actually, quite the contrary. I wish you all would actually read these important legal documents and actually care about such natural rights as freedom of speech and privacy. Even privacy should be of concern to law-abiding citizens like myself.
Multiple Reinstalls of App
I like using Proton to encrypt my emails, and it works great for me on Mac. However, in the two months I’ve had the app on my iPhone (always keeping iOS updated to the most recent), I have had to delete and reinstall three times. The app stops opening for me. I try to open, it shows it is loading for a couple of seconds, and then crashes.
When I reported the issue, I was told to update my iOS, which I had stated in my submission was done before sending the bug report. The alternative offered was to join the Beta. I am not comfortable with participating in Beta testing. Otherwise, there was nothing else to offer. I am not happy with this response as it seems others use the app without this issue and give 5 star ratings. I gave 3 stars because when it works, it’s great. But until this issue I am experiencing is fixed, there will be no improvement in my rating.
Amazing Privacy-Focused Email
I love ProtonMail! I’ve been a paid subscriber for several years and a user of the iOS app since it’s inception, and I am very happy with the quality of service, friendly UI, and focus on privacy and security.
That said, I’d love to see just one or two changes. First of all, the preview notification of emails only shows the Title field. I have no problem with not showing a preview of the body of the email, but I would love to know who the email was from! If the sender would pop up in the notification, it would be perfect. Maybe there’s a way to do this, but I’ve looked and haven’t seen anything.
Secondly, as an admitted Apple fanboy, I would also love to see an Apple Watch app for checking messages quickly or when I’m away from my phone/desktop. Now I’m not super technical but I’m sure there’s some technical thing with privacy and encryption and whatnot and displaying messages on the Apple Watch, but it’s still something that I would like to see if at all possible.
Other than those suggestions, this app and ProtonMail are about as perfect as email can get. I whole-heartedly recommend it to everyone!
- Proton Technologies AG
- 142.2 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Proton Technologies AG
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.