Use Punch In to make time tracking less time consuming. A simple and efficient worktimer made to help you keep track of your work. Syncs across multiple Macs, shows your projects in detail, a menubar for easy access, running indicator on the dock icon, plus more! Punch In runs smoothly in the background while you focus on what you do best.
Punch In features at a glance:
• Easily keep your database in sync across your Macs using dropbox.
• Backup all your data effortlessly; Restore anytime in a breeze.
• Export your projects’ data to Excel, Numbers or similar software to create invoices.
• Ability to edit, add or remove time for a project.
• Ability to change start date for a project.
• Left it running? Punch In will notify you once you wake up your Mac.
• Keep track of your projects in detail by using the session log to display their history.
• Add a note to label each session for a project.
• Menubar icon for easy access to start/stop and a glance at your projects.
• Search projects, clients or archive.
• Select multiple projects for a swift overview.
• Updated to Dropbox v2 API (requires Dropbox re-authentication. We also recommend taking a backup of your data before re-linking to Dropbox.)
• Deleted sessions now stay deleted.
Ratings and Reviews
Avoid this software
I strongly recommend against purchasing this software if you intend to use the export functionality, or expect quality software. I emailed them 8 months ago, due to their tendency to frequenctly change the export format, asking them to please keep it stable. They responded with an apology. Since then, the format has changed numerous times to zero benefit. Certain fields will move around, delimiters will change, etc. Since I was trying to parse their export format to add a feature they seem unable to (a simple total hours worked per week export), constant changing makes it impossible.
Finally, with this latest version, they have broken the export functionality, as the data exported does not match the data shown in the display. I will have to find and purchase other software to fit my goals.
Okay, but not very usable or efficient.
The workflow doesn't make a lot of sense to me in this app. Surprisingly, I had a hard time figuring out how to use the interface, and when I figured it out, I was disappointed in how hard it was to start timing for a particular project. I was expecting to navigate to the big client buttons and hit "start". But you have to start timing and then afterwards fiddle with the UI to assign the time to the correct client. It's pretty weird and convoluted for a task (timing work on client projects) that should be totally mindless. (I don't want to spend any time or effort tracking my time! I'm thinking about work!) This is actually almost harder than using a spreadsheet.
Great App! May I suggest...
This is an outstanding app, and a huge improvement over my previous time tracking "app": a google spreadsheet. Whereas with the spreadsheet I had a big pain point when switching between tasks, and would avoid it or estimate times later on, Punch In makes this a snap with the menu bar item. I have one small suggestion, and one bigger one to improve it:
* Order the current projects in the menu bar dropdown by most recent usage rather than lexicographically
* Allow projects to be optionally broken up into smaller "tasks" with their own time assignments which are totalled up into the project total time. Right now to achieve this I basically have to create multiple projects, each representing a part of a larger project, which isn't ideal.
Thanks for a great app!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.