Push To Talk
By FIPLAB Ltd
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
AWARDED MACWORLD 'MAC GEM' 2013
Push to Talk is a slick and unobtrusive menu bar app that makes voice chats worry-free and keeps the flow of conversation clear. Simply press down the user-configurable hotkey when you want to activate your microphone, and then release when you want the microphone to be muted again.
The aim of this app is to eliminate all those unnecessary and often embarrassing noises that can play in the background during onlne voice conversations. We're all too familiar with children screaming in the background while you're trying to have that important cross-continent business call on a Saturday afternoon - worries like these will be a thing of the past :)
How does Push to Talk work?
The app simply mutes your microphone until you hold down a hot key (user selectable) on your keyboard. Hot key pressed, you can then chat on any voice client or record your voice knowing you are only transmitting audio via your microphone when you actually want to.
- Decide when you want to transmit/record your voice
- Configure the app to launch at login
- Customize a hot key of your choice
- Toggle the app on/off for moments when you don't want to hold down a key to talk, yet don't want to quit the app either
- Push to Talk works with all software that captures/transmits audio from your microphone (such as Skype, FaceTime, Audacity etc).
What's New in Version 1.3
- Bug fixes
So, it works fine, but am disappointed that I can't assign, say the right Alt/Option key to the push-to-talk key.
Simply doesn't work.
Literally doesn't work. It doesn't mute, the keystroke to unmute doesn't work, and even more annoyingly it overloads all other apps with the same keystroke. For example, the app defaults to command-f, which means that all search in any app won't work. Even disabling the app in the menu bar doesn't stop it from preventing the command from going through.
Works as it should
I use this during Google Voice / Skype calls for work. It allows me to stay in touch with my co-workers without having to set up a new call every time there's something to say. We're 3000 miles apart, but effectively sitting right next to each other thanks to this simple app.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Apr 25, 2013
- Version: 1.3
- Size: 1.8 MB
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: FIPLAB Ltd
- © 2013 FIPLAB Ltd
Compatibility: OS X 10.6.8 or later, 64-bit processor