pwSafe - Password Safe compatible Password Manager
By App 77 Informatica e Servicos LTDA
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Feature-complete password management. Syncs with iPhone and iPad app using iCloud. Autofills in Safari. One-time purchase.
** Featured by Mac|Life as one the 20 Great Apps under $20 - http://j.mp/pwSafeMacLife
Simple & secure password management across devices and computers. pwSafe uses iCloud to keep your password databases backed-up and synced between Macs and iOS devices. It is compatible with open source Password Safe.
This application is not related to any application developed and/or marketed by PSafe Tecnologia S/A, including PSafe Total.
List of features:
- iCloud sync, realtime and bi-directional
- Generates strong passwords
- Print a hardcopy of your data for ultimate security agains data loss
- Copy password with Command + C or P
- Copy username with Command + U
- Copy password and open website with Command + Option + S
- Double-click to easily copy password
- Lots of other hotkeys (see menus)
- Password history (per safe and per entry settings)
- Fully compatible with pwSafe for iOS and the famous Password Safe version 3.3.2
- Search in all fields (Command + F for faster access)
- Organize entries in groups
- Multiple fields (title, username, password, URL, email and notes)
- Full unicode support
- Multiple safes
- Unlimited passwords
- Unlimited password groups
- Syncs with iOS devices and many types of computers with Dropbox (requires Dropbox app)
- Syncs with many types of computers via other cloud storage services
- 256-bit encryption
- Fully secure app behavior:
- Clears password from pasteboard after a timeout period, when the computer sleeps or when the app exits (fully configurable).
- Locks safe when the app exits.
- Password is marked with all kinds of "non-persist" flags, so that pasteboard managers don't save or remember it.
Instead of trusting on a single developer security knowledge, pwSafe borrows all its encryption code directly from the famous Password Safe open source password manager (http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/).
Password Safe has been originally created by security guru Bruce Schneier and nowadays is maintained by Rony Shapiro. Since it has been around as an open source project for almost a decade now, it has been extensively reviewed by many experts.
What's New in Version 4.9
This version is all about bug fixes and small improvements:
- Improves receipt validation code to avoid re-downloading a receipt after App Store certificate expiration
- Fixes crashes when locking safe
- Fixes crash on 10.9 and 10.10 when trying to print safe
If you enjoy pwSafe and its regular updates, please rate it on the Mac App Store. Apps live and die by their ratings, which are reset on every new version. Thanks!
The Best Password Manager In the App Store
Password Safe is absolutely the best p/w app in the app store. It has just the right number of features without becoming bogged down in “feature creep” — perfect for average joes like me. It is easy to use and the help manual couldn’t be any easier or more intuitive to understand. Best of all, this app is very well put together by a very talented developer who constantly maintains it — unlike some of the “abandonware” that can be found throughout the app store including the password apps section. The developer is very responsive, helpful, friendly, and prompt to respond to customer questions/concerns as I recently found out when e-mailing him about a problem I was experiencing. I sent the e-mail late on a Sunday evening and by Monday morning I had received a reply. The developer not only fixed the problem for me, but he also instructed me what to do if I ever encountered that problem again! Given such dedication and professionalism, not to mention a perfectly working app, I consider this to be the best app in the store and well worth the money.
Does what it says!
I’ve been using PWSafe for a couple of years. It has been dependable, and the ability to (via iCloud) have my safe on both my Mac and my IOS devices is extremely helpful. “It just works”, and that’s so refreshing given the state of much software these days. Of course, since I don’t believe in having only one copy of something as valuable to me as my password vault, I keep a backup of it on my Mac as a local file as well. The rare couple of times I’ve had questions, the support folks (esp Jorge) at App77 have been very responsive and helpful.
Data loss issues with iCloud are back - it loses your data!
WARNING!!! DATA LOSS ISSUES!!! The current version is back to losing safes when used with iCloud. I can’t recommend this app until they figure out how to make it stable with iCloud. I use dozens of other apps with iCloud and none but this one ever have any problems. But problems with this app are much more impactful as if I can’t get in to my passwords I can’t use anything online… Beware - iCloud safes are unreliable, and if they want to force me to sign up for additional services to use this app then it really has no point, I will switch to the apps that support the iCloud services I *already* use. Support has not been very friendly.