pwSafe - Password Safe compatible Password Manager
By App 77 Informatica e Servicos LTDA
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Feature-complete password management. Syncs with iPhone and iPad app using iCloud.
** Featured by Mac|Life as one the 20 Great Apps under $20 - http://j.mp/pwSafeMacLife
** The in-app purchases you see are about fully optional services, such as unlimited on-line backups. Nothing except the initial purchase is required to fully use the app.
Simple & secure password management across devices and computers. pwSafe uses iCloud to keep your password databases backed-up and synced between Macs and iOS devices. It is compatible with open source Password Safe.
List of features:
- iCloud sync, realtime and bi-directional
- Generates strong passwords
- Print a hardcopy of your data for ultimate security agains data loss
- Copy password with Command + C or P
- Copy username with Command + U
- Copy password and open website with Command + Alt + S
- Double-click to easily copy password
- Lots of other hotkeys (see menus)
- Password history (per safe and per entry settings)
- Fully compatible with pwSafe for iOS and the famous Password Safe version 3.3.2
- Search in all fields (Command + F for faster access)
- Organize entries in groups
- Multiple fields (title, username, password, URL, email and notes)
- Full unicode support
- Multiple safes
- Unlimited passwords
- Unlimited password groups
- Syncs with iOS devices and many types of computers with Dropbox (requires Dropbox app)
- Syncs with many types of computers via other cloud storage services
- 256-bit encryption
- Fully secure app behavior:
- Clears password from pasteboard after a timeout period, when the computer sleeps or when the app exits (fully configurable).
- Locks safe when the app exits.
- Password is marked with all kinds of "non-persist" flags, so that pasteboard managers don't save or remember it.
Instead of trusting on a single developer security knowledge, pwSafe borrows all its encryption code directly from the famous Password Safe open source password manager (http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/).
Password Safe has been originally created by security guru Bruce Schneier and nowadays is maintained by Rony Shapiro. Since it has been around as an open source project for almost a decade now, it has been extensively reviewed by many experts.
What's New in Version 3.2.1
- Manual merging
- Drag and drop entries between safes
- Show entries' groups when searching
- Password font
- Tooltip on the cloud icon
- Backgrounds on popover tables in Yosemite
- Remove services and smart items from password text field context menu
Platform independent and outside of the browser
pwSafe is an excellent product. The database is platform independent, which enables me to use it on my Mac Mini, my Ubuntu desktop and laptop and my work Windows laptop. On Ubuntu, the database is accessed via Password Gorilla. I like that password management is not incorporated into the browser, because I don’t trust browsers to remain secure. Also, pwSafe allows you to easily manage multiple databases and password character policies. I maintain a separate database for highly sensitive data, such as my bank account and IRA, on a dedicated Mac at home and a separate less sensitive database for the sixty or so other online accounts on Dropbox, which is set up for two factor authentication. I’m a bit paranoid about key-logger malware, so I enter my master password with copy and paste.
Nothing’s perfect and there is no one-size-fits-all, but pwSafe works for me and fits my needs.
One of the better options for the Mac
I also use LastPass for convenience in the browser. Because I don’t completely trust any service in the cloud I also keep my more import passwords in pwSafe, and also some login-related passwords not used in the browser. Overall I am happy with the product. I have a few nitpicks with the interface, particularly trying to recategorize entries, but these are not showstoppers.
Unfortunately I cannot attest to the quality of the encryption. I just have to trust the vendor that the files cannot be hacked without cracking the original password.
I have been using using pwSafe for 3 or 4 years. It has given me exceptiopnal control over, what is now, hundreds of user id, password combinations with the added benefit of including other relevant information of the account. The fact that it effortlessly keeps all of my devices in sync is awesome, convenient and comforting. I originally only used it for my iPhone and iPad, but with the recent upgrade, my primary computer (MacBook) is fully integrated.
I highly recommend this application.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Feb 04, 2015
- Version: 3.2.1
- Size: 4.5 MB
- Language: En
- Seller: App 77 Informatica e Servicos LTDA
- © 2014 App77
Compatibility: OS X 10.7 or later, 64-bit processor
Top In-App Purchases
- 1 year Cloud Services$8.99
- 3 months Cloud Services$2.99
- 6 months Cloud Services$4.99