Feature-complete password management. Syncs with iPhone and iPad app using iCloud. Autofills in Safari. One-time purchase.
** Featured by Mac|Life as one the 20 Great Apps under $20 - http://j.mp/pwSafeMacLife
Simple & secure password management across devices and computers. pwSafe uses iCloud to keep your password databases backed-up and synced between Macs and iOS devices. It is compatible with open source Password Safe.
This application is not related to any application developed and/or marketed by PSafe Tecnologia S/A, including PSafe Total.
List of features:
- Touch ID support
- iCloud sync, realtime and bi-directional
- Generates strong passwords
- Print a hardcopy of your data for ultimate security agains data loss
- Copy password with Command + C or P
- Copy username with Command + U
- Copy password and open website with Command + Option + S
- Double-click to easily copy password
- Lots of other hotkeys (see menus)
- Password history (per safe and per entry settings)
- Fully compatible with pwSafe for iOS and the famous Password Safe version 3.3.2
- Search in all fields (Command + F for faster access)
- Organize entries in groups
- Multiple fields (title, username, password, URL, email and notes)
- Full unicode support
- Multiple safes
- Unlimited passwords
- Unlimited password groups
- Syncs with iOS devices and many types of computers with Dropbox (requires Dropbox app)
- Syncs with many types of computers via other cloud storage services
- 256-bit encryption
- Fully secure app behavior:
- Clears password from pasteboard after a timeout period, when the computer sleeps or when the app exits (fully configurable).
- Locks safe when the app exits.
- Password is marked with all kinds of "non-persist" flags, so that pasteboard managers don't save or remember it.
Instead of trusting on a single developer's security knowledge, pwSafe borrows all its encryption code directly from the famous Password Safe open source password manager (http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/).
Password Safe has been originally created by security guru Bruce Schneier and nowadays is maintained by Rony Shapiro. Since it has been around as an open source project for more than a decade, it has been extensively reviewed by many experts.
We heard you: Touch ID support!
- Disallow non latin-1 characters when creating a new safe (thanks to Vincent C.)
- Welcome screen appearance fix
- Crashes on launch macOS 10.11 and earlier
- Crashes when trying to send a support request
- Improves edge cases for Touch ID support (safe password change and asking for password after reboot)
Ratings and Reviews
Picky, technical user
I am a computer engineer and I am, as engineers tend to be, highly opinionated when it comes to the design and implementation of technical systems. I think very highly of pwSafe and recommend it whenever I have the chance. It has made excellent choices to balance simplicity---which is strongly correlated with security---against convenience and features. To me, its lack of bells and whistles compared to its leading compeditors is itself a selling point. There is no browser plugin; it uses a single file storage format that works well with my preferred sync tool; it doesn't try to provide special support for particular types of secrets (beyond username/password); I can navigate it with the keyboard; etc. I have used at least four other products you've probably heard of, and definitely prefer pwSafe.
LOVE this app
This app and the companion iOS version work flawlessly with the Windows Password Safe program originally developed by cryptographer Bruce Schneier. Thanks to the developers for creating both apps and for continuing to maintain and develop them. Please don’t go away. All the other password managers are moving to forced online/cloud vaults and there is still a need and a desire to have solid, well-made password managers that keep the vault local or that allow the user to decide where the database is held (i.e. Dropbox or iCloud). This app also lets me manage more than one vault so my wife and I can each have our own separate vault plus another that we share with our kids. Thanks!!
Works well and is very helpful for me
The app works well, generating random passwords and keeping track of them for me without any problem. I like that it syncs between my phone and laptop, and the quick pasting of the passwords is very convenient. The only problem I have run into is that many websites do not allow you to paste in the verification of a password, and manually inputting the verification is a pain, as some of the characters used are rare enough that it takes a bit of hunting to find them.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.